Hearing Aid Batteries

not2old

How to travel with replacement batteries? Do we pack in checked luggage or can we take them in our carry on luggage? We know that aids have to be turned off while flying but have no idea about what to do about extra batteries.... Thanks for any help!

How to travel with replacement batteries? Do we pack in checked luggage or can we take them in our carry on luggage? We know that aids have to be turned off while flying but have no idea about what to do about extra batteries.... Thanks for any help!

Never heard (sic) that aids need to be turned off when flying?

Anyway, we always carry on the replacement batteries.

As far as I know. they only need to be turned off if they have Bluetooth capabilities, which is not that uncommon these days (Costco ones do, for example).

M.

Never heard (sic) that aids need to be turned off when flying?

Anyway, we always carry on the replacement batteries.

Personal electronic devices such as hearing aids and pacemakers (good thing) are not required to be turn off during the flight. It goes unsaid as to the risk that's the individual is exposed to should a pacemaker be turned off. Specific to hearing aids by being turned off during the flight it poses a safety risk to that individual as they would not be able to hear the announcements should an emergency arise. Many people choose to turn the off as they find the other noises in the cabin disturbing.

To the best of my knowledge there are currently no restrictions which will not allow you to wear your hearing aids or cochlear implants on a plane, even with wireless technology. However, if you also use an additional FM assistive listening device, that should be turned off during the flight

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thanks y'all for the answers. DH has Beltone hearing aids and the little handbook that he was given says to turn them off when in the plane. His doesn't have Bluetooth but he will probably turn them off anyway. Thanks also for the answer on taking batteries, I had planned to pack in his carry on, but didn't want to have to fight with TSA :-))

I misspoke. If your hearing aids have RF connectivity, they must be placed in "flight mode" or disabled. To place them in flight mode, you must open and close the battery compartment of each aid three times in quick succession (open/close, open/close, open/close), within ten seconds. You must do this to each aid. To return to regular RF mode, you must again open/close once for each aid, but at least a minute after the first setting.

M.

Personal electronic devices such as hearing aids and pacemakers (good thing) are not required to be turn off during the flight. It goes unsaid as to the risk that's the individual is exposed to should a pacemaker be turned off. Specific to hearing aids by being turned off during the flight it poses a safety risk to that individual as they would not be able to hear the announcements should an emergency arise. Many people choose to turn the off as they find the other noises in the cabin disturbing.

To the best of my knowledge there are currently no restrictions which will not allow you to wear your hearing aids or cochlear implants on a plane, even with wireless technology. However, if you also use an additional FM assistive listening device, that should be turned off during the flight

If your husband is anything like my mother, he will want them turned off to avoid being deafened by the engines.

There's no safety issue as long as one of you can hear the announcements. If neither of you can, tell the gate before you get on board and the steward(ess) as soon as possible afterwards. Some airlines, not many, give out the script so you can follow the safety announcement before take-off.

This is directly from United Airlines website:

Travelers may always use any medically prescribed, physiological instrument, such as a hearing aid or a pacemaker. Please see the Special Travel Needs section for information on other medical assistive devices.

This is from Delta's website:

** Medical devices including the following items may be used during all phases of flight: hearing aids; heart monitors; heart pacemakers and other implanted medical devices; insulin pumps; nebulizers/vaporizers; approved portable oxygen concentrators; approved respirators/ventilators; approved sleep apnea machines.

From American Airlines website:

You can travel with:

Hearing aids

Heart pacemakers

Other approved medical devices

When booking online, you’ll have the option to request special assistance. If you need to travel with oxygen for medical reasons, please give us 48-hours notice.

I just went to each company's website, so I have to assume that this is the correct information directly from them.