Club HAL - Age Groups

MGH521

We are considering a New Years cruise on the Eurodam with our three boys who will be 3, 6 and 8. I understand that our 8-year-old will be put in the Tween group (ages 8-12), but I would like to keep our boys together. When I asked HAL, they said that we can't mix groups. Does anyone know if they ever make an exception to this rule? I think our 8-year-old would prefer to be with his brothers in the kids group. He's right at the cut-off. Thanks.

Check with the Club Hal counselors once you get onboard. They have more flexibility and can assess your situation better. Several years ago, also over the Christmas/New Year's holiday, we were able to place our then 8-year-old daughter with the younger group. But that was a while ago, and I believe there are stricter protocols in place now. You can view info regarding Club HAL on HAL's website under "onboard", then "activities", then "youth programs".

We are considering a New Years cruise on the Eurodam with our three boys who will be 3, 6 and 8. I understand that our 8-year-old will be put in the Tween group (ages 8-12), but I would like to keep our boys together. When I asked HAL, they said that we can't mix groups. Does anyone know if they ever make an exception to this rule? I think our 8-year-old would prefer to be with his brothers in the kids group. He's right at the cut-off. Thanks.

I've heard before that they will not make an exception & place younger children in an older group such as your 6 year old in an 8-12 group, but not sure about placing an 8 year old child in a younger group ages 3 to 7..

If they agree to do that your 8 year old might become bored though doing the things that the younger group will be doing...You might want to rethink keeping your children together.. They are not together in school & they should be able to adjust to different age groups.. Believe that you will have to ask about this when you are on board..

It really depends on how many children are on board. That is our experience anyway. On our first HAL cruise our son was 7 and our daughter 10. My son did not want to be with the "babies" (his words). There were very few children on board as it was an Alaskan cruise the 3rd week in August. Except for the first day, the two youngest groups were combined for most of the time.

On our last cruise our daughter was 13 and our son 10. She did not want to be with the teens (she is very tiny and get intimidated). When we got on board we were told that we could not technically keep them together but since DD is so small and could easily pass for a 10 year old to just sign her in and out with her brother. There were only a few children on board as it was a 20 day cruise so she and the only other teen could go into the LOFT if they wanted but they spent most of the time with the 8 to 12 year olds. It all worked out.

The New Years Cruise we took in 2013 they were both in the same age group. so we didn't ask for any changes. But you do have to wait until you are onboard and talk to the head Club HAL councillor when you register the children on embarkation.

I agree with 1 of 4 -- it all depends on how many children are on board.

During the holidays HAL does have extra counselors and they do keep them in their age groups.

We have been on 21 day cruises where there were only about 6 children on board and they had only 1 counselor do all the work.

Each child is so different and age groups can be so arbitrary, but some guidelines must be set. Then there is the idea of being one month over or one month under (or 2 months, or 3 or 4…) an age group when a parent would prefer a different group than dictated by the "rules". I understand all of that, but I also understand why a parent of a a 3 or 4 year old might not appreciate having extra 8 year olds in the group - that can be intimidating for the 3-4 year old. Being upgraded or downgraded as to group can be good for the child in question but what about the others in the target group? I know in schools and summer camps this can be a problem, don't know about cruise ships.

A New Years cruise will have lots of kids and they will have lots of kids in each age group - so there will be fewer activities where they are all together. I have asked before too and they wouldn't allow us to go between groups. Too bad because both mine would attend more if they could be together. They just prefer to hang with us anyway.