Kotor...finding the start of the fort climb.

We only had a vague map, too, but had little trouble. Even a good map would not be that helpful, since the streets twist and turn, are not well marked, and don't have line-of-sight to major landmarks.

However, we found the entrance in about 15 minutes by heading up (you can clearly see which direction is "up"), and turning right whenever we hit a fork. We did hit a couple of wrong turns that dead-ended, but they only cost us 5 minutes or so.

Starting early is a good idea, to avoid heat and crowds. I don't think you'll have a problem. The town is really small, so it's just not possible to get lost for long.

I think I have a map or two that might help, although you may not need it, as mentioned by CoralReef. I'll send a link and more info a little bit later. I think what you want, however, is the back of St. Mary Church, way back in the back of Kotor. You could get there a couple of ways.

http://www.pbase.com/image/161154131

Well, I thought I had saved Rick Steves' map of Kotor old town area, but guess not. However, if you go to the link above, you'll find a map that I posted in one of my photo galleries. (I would try to attach it, but in the past when I've done that, the map or photo or whatever comes out pretty tiny.) Anyway, the fat gray line denotes the usual route that starts from the back of St. Mary's church in one corner of Kotor. The blue dots and the red line represent a more level but less traveled and somewhat less scenic path to reach the fort, stopping at the ruins of an old church. You may have seen a discussion of that route. For the best views, however, you need to go to the fort on the usual stepped path from the back of St. Mary's church, or at least come down from there.

The map of Kotor isn't very detailed or clear, but at least it shows where you enter the old town through a gate that is near the pier where ships dock or tender. You want to go to the left once you get to the square, turn right when you have to, and make your way back to St. Luke's church, which I think is a big one with an Orthodox dark blue or black dome. Keep going back (and up, as Coral Reef says) until you reach St. Mary's and I think the path starts behind there. There's supposed to be a person sitting there after 8 AM charging 3 -5 euros depending upon who you talk to. I've also read that there are a few signs pointing the way. There's also a rather cool arch connecting two buildings once you get in the right area.

You can also get to St. Mary's by walking along the town walls and river and cross the Skurda river at the River Gate (northern gate). That might be the fastest way, actually, since St. Mary's is right there once you get through the gate.

If I find the Steves map, I'll send a link. It shows the town well, plus shows exactly where the walk ("access to Upper Town Walls") starts. Maybe you can find Steve's book or the map online or from the library, or pull up a map from Google that shows churches and gates. Really, though, it sounds like it's pretty easy to find with no map. Also, there's supposed to be an information kiosk right near the gate that most cruisers use to get into the old town. Maybe they'll give you a map or instructions!

We were in Kotor just a few days ago. The area of the old town within the city walls is actually very small, so even if you got lost and walked around in circles you would still come across the entrance to the walkway sooner or later! When you get close to it, it is signposted. I did find one or two maps that did help, but I will have to see if I can locate them again...and time is an issue at present as we are still travelling.

Make sure you do it first, before exploring the town. We got off our ship asap, but were not early arriving, so it was about 10am before we got started on the climb. It was extremely hot and not a breath of wind. Fortunately some of our walk was still in shade. We still had to go back to the ship after we had done the climb to the top, because we were so soaked in perspiration and needed a shower and change before we went back to explore the town. Some of the people going up when we were coming down were struggling.

Kotor is gorgeous, enjoy!

Thank you for your helpful replies...especially roaming_kiwi58 who is travelling and still took time to give advice.

You've all given me the confidence to find that starting point. Now all I've got to do is find the energy for the climb!

We're in our late sixties and mid seventies but we hike often in hilly areas, so with the help of my hiking pole and a lot of water we hope to make it.

Doughty3 -

don't see a travel date in your post, so don't know if you have left yet, but I did belatedly have another thought after I last posted. Have only tonight had chance to get back to this post, as we are still travelling.

But I see roothy did mention the info booth, which I should have mentioned too.

If you stop at the tourist info which is just before the Sea Gate (which is the gate you go through from the port, to get into the old town of Kotor) they will give you a map of the old town for free. It is a big one (A3 size) and comes in English as well as other languages. It doesn't have exactly the start point of the fort walk marked on it, but you can certainly see where it would be, and the tourist info staff would point it out.

I can't for some reason get a good link to the map I found most useful, but if you google 'images of Kotor maps' several will come up, and some give a good indicator of your direction through the old town to find the walk entrance.

We were charged 3 euros per person, and the guy collecting the money will give you a leaflet about the walk. It took us 15 minutes to reach the chapel, and another 30 to reach the fort at the top. Just about as long to get down because of having to give way to people going up. The steps are only wide enough for one person, and the path beside can be slippery with lots of loose stones.

The view is really worth the climb!

We went on our honeymoon last year on Serenade OTS. We got off the ship about 8.30am I think which was the best thing as it meant we missed the crowds (it wasn't too hot either, we went in September)

Like the earlier poster suggested just keep heading through the the town entering through the gate entrance towards the mountain. It's a nice little town to wander around.

This video shows our day in Kotor (from 26 minutes) and the climb up the fort. You will be fine if you have decent walking shoes/trainers (sticks would be even better) there are steps as well as a slope which the video shows. The video is massively sped up (we couldn't climb it that fast!) There are great views from the top but also all the way up. The church is half way up. I think we started climbing just after 9am and we were back down by just before midday have a coffee watching everyone else preparing to set off. 45mins to the top.

The entrance wasn't hard to find, the picture is in the video showing the small sign at the entrance.

Kotor was a lovely surprise, one of my favourite days, enjoy, the sail in is amazing!