Booking UDP reservations in advance

pokerpro5

I just called NCL and got some strange answers, and knowing they are about 50% clueless there (and that's being generous), I figured I'd ask people here.

What I want to do:

Buy a UDP for myself in advance, book reservations at specialties for my entire party (3 people), and buy the other two UDPs on board with my OBC (before we eat the first meal).

What I was told:

If you buy the UDP in advance, you have to buy it for all people in the cabin. Therefore, it is impossible to buy for just myself and make a reservation (even if for 1).

I told them that this is unlikely, because why should one person be forced to get the UDP in advance just because the other passenger in the stateroom wants it?

The rep said she was "sure" about it. (LOL)

My questions:

1) Can you buy UDP in advance (before sail date) for just one person in the room, and then make advance reservations for yourself in the specialties?

2) If answer to #1 is "yes", can I make a reservation for the other two people and have them buy their UDP on board before we dine?

Thanks for any help you can provide on this.

Edited by pokerpro5

I posted this while I was on hold with the rep I was speaking to. I had asked for a supervisor. I was very clear that I wanted to be transferred, and not just have her ask questions.

After 15 minutes on hold, she came back with "notes" from the supervisor, and wanted to read them to me.

I responded that I told her I wanted to SPEAK to the supervisor, and had specifically asked to be transferred and not just have the person consulted in the background. She got confrontational with me.

I demanded the supervisor again, and was finally transferred to him, only after being told one final time by the rep to "calm down" (lol).

Then the supervisor sheepishly admitted that the rep was wrong about the UDP thing, and that one person CAN buy the UDP in advance, and then book any number of people at the table they want without those others paying in advance.

I decided not to do it anyway, and will just do all of this onboard with my OBC.

While I was complaining to the supervisor about how I was treated, he acted understanding, but I was "accidentally" cut off in the middle of a word.

Gotta love NCL phone customer service. It's the absolute worst. If the onboard service was like this, I wouldn't cruise NCL (thankfully it's not).

Edited by pokerpro5

Sorry you had the hassle .. here is link to Norwegian's specialty dining package terms and conditions

http://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

On our upcoming 14 day cruise on the Dawn there are a variety of dining packages ranging from 3 to 12 nights.

I read that FAQ earlier, but it raised more questions than it answered.

Thanks anyway, though. I think I understand it all now, and am just electing to book onboard.

I have learned that 70% of the specialty reservations are "held for onboard", meaning those can't be reserved in advance. So I'll just do it when I get on the ship.

My questions:

1) Can you buy UDP in advance (before sail date) for just one person in the room, and then make advance reservations for yourself in the specialties? Go into your MY NCL and try purchasing the SDP for yourself.

2) If answer to #1 is "yes", can I make a reservation for the other two people and have them buy their UDP on board before we dine? If you get the SDP, make your reservation for three and once onboard you can either purchase the SDP for the other two or if they don't want to purchase it, they will be charged for the dinner at the time you eat at the specialty restaurant. If you are in a suite, you can make the reservation 100 days out and if a non-suite cabin category, you can make the reservations 90 days out.

Thanks for any help you can provide on this.

I would try to purchase the SDP on line for yourself first. Let us know how it works out, as others would probably have the same question. Edited by NLH Arizona