Worried about Spring Break in February

miraclemet

My wife is a doctoral candidate here in Michigan, so we are limited in our times to cruise.

We were originally hoping for a Christmas cruise, but those look like they will be out of our price range (why so high? more demand or just fewer cruises so higher prices?).

Instead we are looking to cruse the last week of February, which is her spring break.

My worry is that we will cruise our way right into a headache on a ship full of college kids (of which we are not) looking to drink and party all night...

any suggestions for how to avoid or minimize it? Certain cruise lines less likely (carnival is never on our list)? Certain Cruise Destinations less "party" oriented.

I know its a tough question, but I thought I'd see what type of experiences people have had, and who's had luck avioding the party boat scene...

I have taken 2 cruises during spring break on RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas. Other than watching the college kids's stupid antics (beer bongs, etc) and having to fight the young ladies for deck chairs, it wasn't bad. The college ones typically kept to themselves. What was worse for us was the younger kids whose parents just let them roam the ship with no supervision. On RCI, they have a pool that is supposed to be for adults only. Unfortunately, RCI supervises that about as well as they do patrolling for deck chair hogs - in other words, they don't enforce the rules. At the adult pool, for lunch, it is the only place to get pizza, burgers and hot dogs - DUH! What do kids want to eat???? So, they come in for the food and stay.

Anyway, if that is the only time you can get away, by all means go! It isn't worth missing the wonderful experience of cruising because of kids of any age!

Please other posters with kids, don't flame me. This is my opinion only

We took our first cruise last year on Canival's Destiny to Southern Caribbean that exact same week and had very few college kids to contend with. We have booked for the same weekend again in 2006 on RCI's Adventure to the Southern Caribbean and I'm not anticipating too many kids.

If I had to guess, many spring breaks actually happen a week or two after you're going. I wouldn't let it bother you too much. Enjoy!

Clem

I would think that on Celebrity you wouldn't have as many kids, too. They are a wonderful cruise line.

Also, something to think about: since you are flying one of the most notoriously snowy weeks, I suggest that you fly in the day before. Could save you a lot of headaches!

Have a great cruise, which ever one you pick!

Spring break cruises can be very unsettling. Not only do you have to worry about college kids and lots of small children, the ships are usually at full capacity. If you are looking for that quieter cruise experience I would first reccommend you book more than a 7 day cruise. If a 7 dayer is your max then I would suggest you stick with Holland America or Celebrity, in that order. I would definately avoid Carnival or NCL during that time.

I will tell you that very few places have a spring break the last week in February. Most breaks don't start until the second week of March going through April so you are less likely to get a spring break crowd that week of February.

I've sailed on RCI during spring break before and it wasn't bad at all. The pool deck was crowded but other areas of the ship weren't bad. We didn't have any noise in our cabin. There's plenty of areas on most ships to escape from crowds and noise.

I will tell you to avoid the shorter itineraries like the 3 and 4 night cruises as those are most likely to be full of partiers. If you can add a few days to your spring break, I would recommend looking for a longer than 7 day cruise which will cut down on the number of kids. Also, cruises out of San Juan might be a good option because the airfare can be prohibitive for a family (but might also be prohibitive for you).

I would suggest either Celebrity or Holland America. My dad is a retired educator, but when he was teaching, we had to sail on the school vacation weeks. We chose February school vacation weeks on Holland America and I have to say, there were very few children on board and the ones onboard were very well behaved.

Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise.

Archived