Navigator of the Seas 8/23/15 - REVIEW

A few other questions for those who have been on Navigator. We have late seating. Do you recall whether the shows were timed so that late dining could see them after dinner or whether they were set for before? We prefer after but have done MTD in the past so haven't really paid attention. We could always try to shift to MTD if needed to better work with the show timing. We like to hang out late at the pool deck when the crowds thin which is why we like the later dinner with the shows after, but with MTD we found our service was so inconsistent since the servers had so many passengers on different schedules that we decided to try the standard seating. We have had fabulous production shows on our cruises (with the exception of The Gift on Anthem, not so great) so I'm sorry that these don't sound so great but I think they do try to do a good job with the guest performers on the holiday cruises (or at least that has been our experience) so we will keep our fingers crossed for that.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed your trip!

Shows are timed to work around traditional dining times, so Early Dining Seating guests have access to a show after their dinner seating while Late Dining Seating guests have access to a show PRIOR to their dinner seating. It actually is done during the time that the Early Dining is actually being served.

Thanks for your review. We just got home from a fabulous cruise on the Anthem (having previously been on Freedom and Oasis--between which we preferred Freedom, although Anthem is now our favorite) and will be on the Navigator for New Year's. I am a bit worried that we will do the inevitable comparing and that will negatively impact our trip. It sounds like there is a lot going on on Navigator. We are not big drinkers or sit in bar people either but on Anthem we really liked that they had live music every night in certain venues (bands, not just the Schooner piano guy), it sounds like there were clubs with activities in the evening?

A few other questions for those who have been on Navigator. We have late seating. Do you recall whether the shows were timed so that late dining could see them after dinner or whether they were set for before? We prefer after but have done MTD in the past so haven't really paid attention. We could always try to shift to MTD if needed to better work with the show timing. We like to hang out late at the pool deck when the crowds thin which is why we like the later dinner with the shows after, but with MTD we found our service was so inconsistent since the servers had so many passengers on different schedules that we decided to try the standard seating. We have had fabulous production shows on our cruises (with the exception of The Gift on Anthem, not so great) so I'm sorry that these don't sound so great but I think they do try to do a good job with the guest performers on the holiday cruises (or at least that has been our experience) so we will keep our fingers crossed for that.

I think that I have read about cooking classes at the Italian restaurant, was that offered? It looks like there is a wine tasting I could sign up for online but that is it at least so far. Any thing else of particular interest?

Also, was there a movie theater or were there any movie screenings on the outdoor screen in the evening?

There are bands playing, yes, but to be honest, that's more during the day. Schooner had the piano man, Two Poets had the guitarist. Bolero's sometimes had the latin band, and that seemed fun. The late night events at the Cosmopolitan Club were hosted by a DJ. NOS is the biggest ship I've been on, so I can't compare, but we never lacked significantly for something fun to do.

There were indeed cooking classes (we did not partake) at the Mexican place, the Italian place and at Izumi (shushi!). There were wine tastings at Vintages. I think if you like that sort of thing, you'll find several opportunities. They sounded like fun, we just didn't have the time.

Most days, there are two shows...6:30 & 8:30. These are geared so that late seating folks to the early show and vice-versa. Two days the show was ONLY at 7 (the first evening on the ship and also Day 6...not sure why that one only had one show). We did MTD, so we varied which shows we went to. 6:30 audiences were much quieter overall...8:30 crowds were often quite into the comedy shows! (Maybe more chance to do some drinking beforehand?)

Hope this helps.

Also, was there a movie theater or were there any movie screenings on the outdoor screen in the evening?

Sorry, I neglected your final question. There were movies on the pool deck (outside) most evenings...usually 7 or 7:30, I think. We did not go...usually eating and catching the live shows. But I noticed the list of movies included AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, PAUL BLART 2, HOT PURSUIT. Recent movies, not quite out on video yet. Nothing R-rated, of course.

• 3 weeks later...