What to do on Sea Days with a one year old?

angel54321

There are plenty of kid haters on this site- so if that was taken the wrong way; sorry if you considered me rude. But the OP clearly stated that they have already booked this trip- so why do you think it's ok to then suggest they leave the baby behind? I think THAT is rude. Yes, I do have the ideal situation for this one cruise, but I am also not going to assume my Mother is the babysitter either. We actually live in different cities and this is as much her vacation as it is ours.

I am also on a thread on this same board where they suggest no kids should be allowed in specialty dining. I have also seen many post on the FAMILY board from cruisers here who suggest you leave the small ones at home; its insulting. My son is probably paying a higher fare than 95% of the ship- but he shouldn't be allowed in the same areas? If the kids are throwing a fit; I get it. But well behaving, non crying children should be left alone.

Its because there's honestly no real break from a child under 3 years old - Yes, the family is on vacation but that doesn't mean one leaves the 1 year-old on their own, one of the parents has to be with child. If both parents want a break from the child, they'll 1) rotate who's watching the child or 2) leave the child at home with an adult relative(s) or bring that relative(s) with you as a babysitter.

That's vacationing as a parent with child under 3 years old in a nutshell - you can't put them in program that will watch for at least 4-6 hours, you're going to have to be parent while on vacation too. Its basically the same things you do at home, one's going to be doing on seaday with a baby - such as talking, cradling, playing games /toys, teaching, etc.

It's not a hatred of children you think why some people are responding the way they are, its because some people have seen what happens when some parents are on vacation - they seem to think since they're on vacation they can drop all their responsibilities and concern as parents. Heck NO - parenthood is a 24-hour job with no breaks unless you leave the kids at home for the weekend and even then, you still have worry about them anyway to make sure they're ok.... That's what being a parent is.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Well, not everyone has the luxury of leaving kids with family either. I don't. We don't have family closer than 1/2 a country away. I'm a Mom 24/7. But I bet I will enjoy being a vacation mom a LOT more! Room service, butler, no cooking, no cleaning- THAT is a vacation to me. I'd be sad if my little nugget wasn't with me. Now if only there was a way I could bring my well behaved dog with me... She would love running laps around the cabin decks ;) I don't like leaving anyone behind! Haha

Bringing the little tub is a great idea, so baby can splash too. It can also be placed in the shower stall for baby's bath.

Bring a small umbrella stroller, instead of the big ones. The corridors on a cruise ship can be very narrow. Also, more diapers than the baby uses during the week. Changes in her routine food, and environment can bring on digestion changes.

Some ships have kiddie sized tables and chairs in the buffet, with their own small buffet counter. It is stocked with children's favorite foods. The Dawn has this, not sure about the Star.

I see so many little ones on cruise ships happy as larks. Enjoy your cruise.