Sea lice on castaway cay. Is this an issue still with jellyfish?

Laurba99

Laura, I've been to Castaway and been swimming there MANY times in September (it's a birthday month for us as well as having great rates). Never had a problem with sea lice. Yes, I've read those posts too. I don't know if it is a seasonal issue or what...never bought, took, or needed the lotion you are referring to.

I saw a thread about a lotion I needed so I got it on amazon but now wondering is this something they tell you onboard. Does everyone buy it on the ship if they or their kids are swimming there?

We've also been to Castaway Cay several times. Mostly September/October, but have been there in May.

Never had an issue with sea lice. And never purchased/used the lotion.

Don't recall any announcements made re: sea lice, either.

We had a problem with it once at it was in September but it was in 2012. My son got it pretty bad and was crying. Once he showered, he felt fine. I will say that the only place it was a problem was by Pelican Plunge. I do have the lotion and we do use it every time now. Better safe than sorry.

There are some showers around the beach area (open air, keep swimsuits on type), as well as the foot wash things before you get on the ship. Obviously, the rinse off showers aren't as good as a real shower back in your stateroom, but it is a good rinse off before heading to the tram at the end of the day.

A movie prop of the ship from Pirates of the Caribbean was at Castaway Cay for several years. Got some fascinating pictures of it from the ship and the beach! It has been gone for some time now.

Wishing you all a "magical" time on your cruise. (We will be there on the Wonder in December 1st!)

Edited by DaKa2002
Add infö

Not following the too bad you missed the ship comment?

The REAL Flying Dutchman from the movie used to be moored at Castaway Cay. Unfortunately, it deteriorated from years of exposure to the salt water and had to be removed for guest safety. It was a great photo op though!

Since you were enjoying the thought of seeing Jack Sparrow....it is too bad you weren't there when the ship was!

Can you stay as little or as long you want on the island. Do they have smaller boats there to take people back whenever they want? Anything worth paying for there?

You dock on the island. They have a tram to whizz you around to the various places.

If you haven't read Gambees DCL trip report you should dig that out, that will get you excited.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Oh wow. Funny you mention gambee. I

Was up in the middle of the night and I was starting to read it at 3am and I couldn't follow it. I got to the part about his dog and it was so sad and then everyone wrote about that and I never found the rest of the review to pick back up. I'll find it later. The photos were breathtaking!

Within the parameters on the Navigator (all ashore and all aboard times), you can spend as little or as much time on the island as you wish. The ship DOCKS at the island, no tendering. You take the tram to the stop nearest the ship and walk from there to reboard the ship. Very easy.

Other than the post office and a small area of Bahamian shops, your KTTW is the tender on the island. Think of it as an extension of the ship--all the same policies.