Latitudes Party Question

moonieelf

I'm going Gold>Plat on my next cruise, but then taking the very next voyage. I wonder if the systems will be updated quick enough to give me platinum on the 2nd cruise. Booked the cruises at different times and show as 2 bookings in MyNCL.

Did b2b on the same ship, turned platinum after the first cruise, the latitudes guy was informed by me on the first cruise, and the first day of the second cruise he got our status changed, we had to get new cabin keys, but we had all the perks set up on day one.

Or maybe they didn't want to single you out in front of others and cause embarrassment.

Members only....means members only. I simply can't understand why people, not only you, can't follow the rules and think they can bend them to their benefit.

Harriet

Wow, Harriet...WAY HARSH!!! I am gold but my husband has never cruised NCL. We will be celebrating my birthday and our 20th anniversary on our cruise in Nov. I'll be sure to leave him outside so I don't bend the rules and confuse you further!!! :eek:

Did b2b on the same ship, turned platinum after the first cruise, the latitudes guy was informed by me on the first cruise, and the first day of the second cruise he got our status changed, we had to get new cabin keys, but we had all the perks set up on day one.

I like your signature.....

Wow, Harriet...WAY HARSH!!! I am gold but my husband has never cruised NCL. We will be celebrating my birthday and our 20th anniversary on our cruise in Nov. I'll be sure to leave him outside so I don't bend the rules and confuse you further!!! :eek:

I'm sorry, I did not mean to be harsh but was only trying to explain my feelings on the subject. If your husband cannot go with you then you truly should have only two choices. Go without him or better yet don't go at all and stay with your husband. This is really no different than the discussions about eating breakfast/lunch at Cagney's. If one party is in a sweet and their friends are not then they have two choices. Meet their friends after they've eaten at Cagney's for breakfast/ lunch or simply eat breakfast/lunch anywhere else so they can eat with their friends in the MDR or buffet. I feel that's a better choice/decision then bending the rules and bring in someone where they are not supposed to be or or not invited.

Either way, have a great birthday and anniversary cruise.

Harriet

I am gold but my husband has never cruised NCL. We will be celebrating my birthday and our 20th anniversary on our cruise in Nov. I'll be sure to leave him outside so I don't bend the rules and confuse you further!!! :eek:
I don't know about the rules, but I think they assume and accept that couples will go to this thing together. In practice this means that any two people can go in with one invitation, and no one will say anything (except "Welcome back!" :p).

But in the OP's hypothetical case, there would be 4 adults trying to get in with one invitation (assuming the two sisters are booked in the same cabin, they will probably receive just one invitation). I think in that case they would take a closer look at the names to see who was actually invited, and there is a chance the parents would be turned away. Which would be awkward for them (but very satisfying for some people in this forum…)

See also:

Question about bringing guest to Latitude party

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Invitations are delivered to your cabin. If you are a married couple and both are latitude members it will say Mr. and Mrs. If you are a married couple but only the husband is a latitude member it will simply say Mr. I believe it is wrong to just bring a guest. You go alone or you stay with your guest and simply don't go yourself. I'm sure many couples do not spend 24 seven with each other and one goes in one direction at times and one goes in the other direction at times.

It's very simple the way I see it. You are receiving an invitation. The invitation has the person or persons name on it who is invited. Your name is not on the invitation, you're not invited. Same as a wedding invitation. If I received a wedding invitation that says Mr. and Mrs. P that would include myself and my husband I would not think to bring my three kids Unless it said 'and family'.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Thank you for the explanation.

There are latitude benefits on all ships...but there are differences. Some caused by the ship itself or by the length of the cruise. The Terms and Conditions noted on the Latitudes Benefits page on NCL's website will spell out what is and is not available.

As for the different Latitude parties:

All Latitude Members (Bronze, Silver, Gold, & Platinum) are invited to attend the "Members Only Cocktail Party". However, as the website states: "Not available on Norwegian Sky, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Breakaway or Norwegian Getaway". It is also not available on any other ship where the cruise is less than 5 days in length.

Silver, Gold, & Platinum Latitude Members are also invited to attend the "Exclusive Onboard Gathering with Ship Officers"...which is a cocktail party much like the Members Only Cocktail Party, but with less people in attendance. This party is held on the bigger ships.

If you are silver or above then there is a party. You can't bring guests.

If you are less than silver then there is no party.

Thanks John, for clarifying this. I was about to say something similar. I think people get confused between this party and that party. And yes, you are right, there are no guests allwed who are not latitude members. I am sure they do not alway check, but boy can you imagin how embarrassing it would be to get turned away?

My husband and I can't have cruises longer than a week due to the amount of vacation he gets through work, so we're going on our third weeklong NCL cruise and will finally be silver by the end of the trip! I'm excited, I know it's not that big a deal, but I'm easily excited! ;)

Or maybe they didn't want to single you out in front of others and cause embarrassment.

Members only....means members only. I simply can't understand why people, not only you, can't follow the rules and think they can bend them to their benefit.

Harriet

A lot of people bend the rules to their benefit. Is it breaking rules if you bring your spouse who was not invited, but you are invited? I think common sense says that your spouse is welcome to join you in these latitudes parties and I would have no problem with that. But to bring friends that are staying in another cabin then that might draw the line, but if you can get away with it I have no problem with it.

The only people that have a problem with it are the ones that actually do get caught breaking the rules then they throw a fit because it's not fair to them.

I believe it is wrong to just bring a guest. You go alone or you stay with your guest and simply don't go yourself. I'm sure many couples do not spend 24 seven with each other and one goes in one direction at times and one goes in the other direction at times.
I absolutely see your point of view, and it is indeed the simplest, black-and-white rule. But I also can't help thinking that if it's the same as a wedding invitation, who invites only half of a couple to their wedding? Very bad form. The problem is, NCL doesn't have any way to know for sure if the person you are traveling with is your spouse/partner. All they see is two people booked into one cabin. Or if they see 4 adults booked into one cabin, good luck figuring out what's going on there… :p

I agree of course that couples don't need to be together 24/7, but this is a social event that is in part built around couples. That's why I think they intend for couples to attend together. You know how they ask who's on their honeymoon, who's celebrating their wedding anniversary? Imagine if someone raised her hand to say it was their 60th wedding anniversary today, but her husband wasn't a Latitudes member so the folks on CC said he couldn't come to the party. :o

I absolutely see your point of view, and it is indeed the simplest, black-and-white rule. But I also can't help thinking that if it's the same as a wedding invitation, who invites only half of a couple to their wedding? Very bad form. The problem is, NCL doesn't have any way to know for sure if the person you are traveling with is your spouse/partner. All they see is two people booked into one cabin. Or if they see 4 adults booked into one cabin, good luck figuring out what's going on there… :p

I agree of course that couples don't need to be together 24/7, but this is a social event that is in part built around couples. That's why I think they intend for couples to attend together. You know how they ask who's on their honeymoon, who's celebrating their wedding anniversary? Imagine if someone raised her hand to say it was their 60th wedding anniversary today, but her husband wasn't a Latitudes member so the folks on CC said he couldn't come to the party. :o

I don't really care who goes to these parties, if they are crashing or not. They are welcome to warm punch and a few canapés. I'll be in the buffet eating decent food and a freshly made cocktail of my choice!

I don't really care who goes to these parties, if they are crashing or not. They are welcome to warm punch and a few canapés. I'll be in the buffet eating decent food and a freshly made cocktail of my choice!

LOL SwissLe, too true - I'll be sitting there right beside you, save me a seat! ;)