Do they determine what time you get on the ship based on when you arrive at the port?

Laurba99

I didn't realize that checking in online close to our sailing could affect what time we board. We were assigned a time but with every other cruise line we get there early and then get on the ship fairly fast. How does this work on DCL. If I got a time when I did online check in that time

Sticks even if I arrive hours earlier?

I didn't realize that checking in online close to our sailing could affect what time we board. We were assigned a time but with every other cruise line we get there early and then get on the ship fairly fast. How does this work on DCL. If I got a time when I did online check in that time

Sticks even if I arrive hours earlier?

The Port Arrival Time you selected during the online check in process is tied to the actual boarding number you get when you check in at the port.

To simplify:

Each PAT has X number of boarding numbers assigned to it. Let's say there are 4 numbers in each window. Each boarding number has X number slots. Let's say 20.

The 10:30-10:45 PAT window has boarding numbers 1-4, in this scenario; 10:45-11:00 has numbers 5-8; and so on.

There's no way of knowing which specific number you will get within your window.

Boarding typically begins around 11:15-11:30 with Concierge and Platinum Castaway Club members (typically they get boarding number 1). Sometimes Platinum gets #2. Then boarding numbers are announced, roughly every 10-15 minutes, depending on how quickly the line moves.

You will get the same boarding number regardless of whether you arrive and check in at your selected PAT or not. So, if you have a PAT of 10:45-11:00, and you would have received boarding #5, you'll get that number whether you actually arrive at 10:45 or 1:00. Same thing in reverse - if you have a PAT of 12:30-1:00 and would have received (say) #24, you'll get the same boarding number if you actually check in at 11:30 or 1:00.

For the most part, everyone in the terminal is pretty much boarded by 12:30. At that time Open Boarding is announced, and anyone holding any boarding number may board.

If you have a late PAT, the "sweet spot" for terminal arrival is between 12:30 and 1. If you arrive then, you can anticipate little or no line for check in, and open boarding should be announced shortly thereafter. Your wait should be minimal or none.

If you arrive earlier than that, you will simply be hanging out and waiting. You won't get on the ship any sooner. Arrive later and you won't have any issues, but could have been on the ship sooner.

This system is in place to avoid terminal overcrowding and keep boarding as orderly as possible. If you arrive early and the terminal is full, you may be required to wait outside until the terminal empties a bit (by having people board the ship).

Ok. Are Mickey and Minnie in the terminal?

The characters appear in the terminal intermittently. They are not there the entire time. Those that put in appearances are typically Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Pluto. DO NOT hang out or wait to see them in the terminal--you'll have many more opportunities on board. There is no promise that any specific character will be in the terminal on any given day.

I have used the DCL transport from a Disney resort and arrived around 1pm. There was no line at all, we walked right on and our room was ready. We did not get the same amount of time on board as some people, but we were glad we didn't have to wait around the terminal all morning.

May be a dumb question but are there things available to purchase when you are waiting in the terminal?

Just from the vending machines - soda, chips, candy, etc.

That's at Port Canaveral.

It can differ in different ports. In Barcelona, there were a couple of small shops selling wine and souvenirs.

Just from the vending machines - soda, chips, candy, etc.

That's at Port Canaveral.

It can differ in different ports. In Barcelona, there were a couple of small shops selling wine and souvenirs.

And correct me if I am wrong here Shmoo, but I thought someone told me you could use your KTTW card to purchase those items at Port Canaveral.

And correct me if I am wrong here Shmoo, but I thought someone told me you could use your KTTW card to purchase those items at Port Canaveral.

Well, in looking at the picture I took of the vending machines, unless they've changed since last September, no.

The ones there in September would take a credit card (AmEx, Discover, VISA, MC) or cash. Can't seen any setup for KTTW card.

From what I've seen, Disney seems to have the tightest boarding scheduling and seem to be serious about not opening the terminal early. For contrast, I was able to get into the PoM NCL terminal around 9:30a. (I had no specific need to be there that early, but it was either wait in a hotel room and watch shows on my ipad, or do the same in the terminal.) From what I understand, at PC at least they wouldn't have even let me in the building that early.

On thinking about this, my theory is that the hardcore Disney crowd is so programmed into the 'rope drop' mentality that if they didn't set limits, they'd have people lining up at dawn.

Edited by perditax

From what I've seen, Disney seems to have the tightest boarding scheduling and seem to be serious about not opening the terminal early. For contrast, I was able to get into the PoM NCL terminal around 9:30a. (I had no specific need to be there that early, but it was either wait in a hotel room and watch shows on my ipad, or do the same in the terminal.) From what I understand, at PC at least they wouldn't have even let me in the building that early.

On thinking about this, my theory is that the hardcore Disney crowd is so programmed into the 'rope drop' mentality that if they didn't set limits, they'd have people lining up at dawn.

The idea is to clear the terminal of people and luggage from the previous cruise before opening to new guests. It also helps clear out the parking garage, making spaces for new parkers.

Like most things Disney, they happen a little before the announced time, but not a lot at the terminal. If you arrive on a DCL bus, you will be allowed in when the bus arrives. Yes, we were the first people in the terminal once. Yes, we could check in as soon as we got there, and the line waiting outside didn't get in until everyone on that first bus was inside the terminal.

You are correct that no matter what the rules are, there are people who attempt to get there early. Bottom line, the terminal doesn't open to incoming guests until DCL says it does. Arrive before that and you will be turned away--not even allowed into the port area. They are still dealing with departing guests and don't want to see the new people till the appointed time.

Want to see a real mess? If the previous cruise has any sort of delay in disembarkation (usually caused by Customs and Immigration), the boarding cruise will be a mess too.

This is really making me realize we don't have to be on the first shuttle over. On our last cruise out of FTL we took a shuttle and there were so much traffic and the next shuttle

Came really late so we were lucky to

Have left when we did. But seems calmer here than port Everglades!

Exactly. That was one of the reasons why DCL implemented the PAT system. There were masses of people arriving at the port way before the ship had even cleared everyone off the ship (much less out of the terminal and parking lots). And the original building occupancy can't handle the bigger numbers on the newer ships all wanting to be "first on".

Since DCL requires the last guests depart the ship by 9:00 (generally 9:30 is more like it), they want a bit of gap between departing guests and arriving guests.

We drive to the port, park at the Raddison and take their shuttle, we have never waited for anything, security, check in or to get on on and we skip the photo line if it is long, this has been the same for our last 3 or 4 times. We get there at circa 11.30 am for what it is worth. I will point out that there is a line for past cruisers (castaway club member) but there are of course quite a few of those too!

If I was you I would probably get up at a reasonable time, have breakfast, get myself over to the terminal mid morning, soak it all up and then get on the ship ready for lunch which we have at 12.30 before the staterooms are ready.

Just get on the ship as early as you can to make the most of every minute.:)

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Cool that is what I wanted to know. Hoping our 1:15 time won't impede us too much. What time do you take the shuttle? They said when we arrive tomorrow night I assume not until

9-9:30 we then sign up for a shuttle in the morning. This time I know better and will tag our bags before the shuttle. My bag got lost on my last cruise not Disney but I quickly added tags after they were pulled off the shuttle.