MSC Excursion to Pompeii

kevg1889

Hi we're booked on the MSC Fantasia which will be calling at Naples in October, and I was wondering if anyone has ever done the MSC excursion from Naples to Pompeii. This is one place my DW really wants to visit, and I don't know whether to make our own way there or do the planned excursion. The notes I have downloaded from the MSC site don't really explain too well what is included (i.e. does it include entrance into Pompeii). This is our first cruise, and I want it all to be perfect, as we are celebrating our anniversary.

We don't arrive in Naples until 1pm and leave again at 7pm so I'm just worried about having time to make our own way there etc. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I very rarely go on MSC excursions but this is one I have done although it was back in 2006. Yes, the entrance was included and I found the guide interesting, rather than me just wandering about and not really knowing what I was seeing. Having said that, it's supposed to be easy to get there on the train so if you did your research about the site beforehand, you could probably save a lot of lolly ( though I appreciate your limited time). The only down side as I was concerned was a stop at a cameo factory, which was really just a sales opportunity.

Something to remember about MSC is make sure you get on to an English-speaking excursion (my guide was an Italian man with good English) as some of them are multi-nationality and the guides explain in several languages.

Edited by canny_cruiser

Do the ship tour seeing as you are only in Naples for 6 hours, we went by train making our own way there a few years ago but we were there all day. Six hours leaves you very little wriggle room if you get lost on your own, the guides will take you around the most important parts of Pompei.

Thats what I am thinking at the moment - possibly a bit risky

It is very easy and cheap to domit by train. Train stop is very close to the entrance. Unless you're planning to spend 4 hours there, then there is plenty of time.

It was cool and windy the day we went and the ash blowing into my eyes was not that pleasant, then the drizzle started! So Isd had enough after just over an hour. Unfortunately my companion hadn't had enough until after 2 hours!

Hope you get a nicer day for it.

It is an easy DIY but 6 hours in port is a tad tight. Remember the walk from the dock to the train station will take you 40 mins brisk walking so travel time from port to site will take the past part of 2.5 to 3 hours. So the most you should feasibly budget to spend there is just 2 hours.

Would you consider Herculaneum which is nearer (Ercolano scavi is 11 stops nearer than Pompeii scavi) and smaller but similar.