Caribbean Princess ~ condition, food quality & morale?!

247readr

Same rules apply (IMHO) to TripAdvisor reviews and researching shore excursions.

I learned a while ago that the most reliable reviews (on TripAdvisor or anywhere else) are the 3-star reviews. The 5-star reviews are nothing but praise (or paid reviews), and the 1-star reviews are people who have an axe to grind. The 3-star reviews are people who had mixed experiences; some things they liked and some things not so much. I read the 3-star reviews and just ask if I care about the thing they didn't like.

We just finished a B2B trip on the Caribbean Princess -- 3 weeks. I would go back onto that ship in a heartbeat. Our trips were during school vacations in the UK with tons of kids -- enough said about that. The ship, crew and food were fantastic. Our cabin steward was incredible. We dined in the main dining room only once due to the fact that we don't like to eat at any specific time and sometimes we don't want to eat at all. After a while food just didn't appeal to us.

I agree completely with everyone who has said that you should take complaints about Princess with a grain of salt. The trip is what you make it.

I'm going on my first cruise in November on the Caribbean Princess and I'm reading mixed reviews on everything!

It's confusing! The reviews range from "amazing" to "will never go again" and it seems that some were even on the same cruise!

Some say that the ship is dirty, the carpets are disgusting, the toilets and sinks back up and the self laundry facilities don't work. The food reviews are just as varied, ranging from excellent to cold, cheap and over cooked.

The staff reviews are also a concern! Employee attitude can make a huge difference in the overall experience and the information that I am reading indicates that they are inconsistent at best. There have also been comments on the lack of obvious supervision and an absence of captain or other high ranking personnel.

Also, is there supposed to be a 'Welcome' something on embarkation day?

Sorry for the long post. I just don't know what to expect and I'm hoping to be happily surprised on my cruise and really don't want to be disappointed.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!

Someone on these boards once told me to through out the worst and best reviews - then take the middle ones to get a true picture of the situation. I have found that is good advise.

As to the CB - she is one of my favorite ships. I too have heard she is a "little down in the tooth". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find: I am on a ship on the ocean, I don't make my bed, I don't cook, I don't wash dishes. Not a bad life.

I do tend to stay away from buffets - for many reasons, mostly personal taste. So I cannot comment on them. As to the restaurant, if I don't like what they are offering, there is always something else they will bring. Frankly, I have never heard of anyone dying of starvation on a cruise ship!!

Finally staff: I rarely come across someone that I can't talk to. Just ask them about their country!! You might have a friend for the entire cruise!! Once, in all our cruises, I had a less than attentive room steward. Not bad odds. I love meeting fellow cruisers almost as much as meeting the staff.

Go and enjoy your cruise. And if you encounter an issue, talk to the front desk. They too are anxious to please.

Someone on these boards once told me to through out the worst and best reviews - then take the middle ones to get a true picture of the situation. I have found that is good advise.

As to the CB - she is one of my favorite ships. I too have heard she is a "little down in the tooth". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find: I am on a ship on the ocean, I don't make my bed, I don't cook, I don't wash dishes. Not a bad life.

I do tend to stay away from buffets - for many reasons, mostly personal taste. So I cannot comment on them. As to the restaurant, if I don't like what they are offering, there is always something else they will bring. Frankly, I have never heard of anyone dying of starvation on a cruise ship!!

Finally staff: I rarely come across someone that I can't talk to. Just ask them about their country!! You might have a friend for the entire cruise!! Once, in all our cruises, I had a less than attentive room steward. Not bad odds. I love meeting fellow cruisers almost as much as meeting the staff.

Go and enjoy your cruise. And if you encounter an issue, talk to the front desk. They too are anxious to please.

Well said! You echoed my thoughts!

DH and I are booked on this ship and I was reading the latest reviews. It seems unfair to me that there were three 2 star reviews from the same poster! And they were that poster's first reviews. :confused:

Happens all the time. Something will happen to upset the reviewer, and then everything else on the cruise was terrible. Often it's something that has nothing to do with the ship, like a long line at an excursion rest stop, and then the whole cruise was ruined. There will be a multi-paragraph rant about this incident, and the last paragraph will say "the food was good, staff was nice, bed was comfortable," but the reviewer will give the whole cruise two stars. :rolleyes:

Also, for some reason, CB seems to be the latest whipping boy.

But isn't this what reviews are for .......... When 4 people tell me not to drink the milk because it is spoiled and I will get sick, "Ignore them. Enjoy it yourself and make up your own mind" is terrible advice.

Huge difference between spoiled milk and a cruise. One is pretty easily determined the other is 100% subjective and opinion. That is easily proven by reading 4 or 5 cruise reviews from the same ship, same date. 2 or 3 will say it was a perfect cruise and 2 or 3 will say it was horrible. I am a firm believer in "if you want to have a great cruise, you will and if you want to nitpick and be miserable, you will".