Slamming Balcony Doors.

nycruise

haha I actually brought two last cruise "just in case" and when my balcony neighbor saw me putting ours on...he stuck his head around the corner and said..."I wish I had though of that"....so I handed him our extra. He gave it back last morning. So I will bring 2 this time too.

Bran8778,

Just wanted to say hi and note that we were both on the same Victory Cruise in March of 2004. Don't know if we ever saw each other but just noticed that in your signature. And yes, we always bring a bungee cord for the door. It also served as a clothesline for drying bathing suits in the sun. Kinda looked like the high rises in the city. lol

I've never had a problem with hearing any slamming doors. I guess maybe when I am having such a good time I just don't notice little things like that.

Not such a little thing when it wakes you up between 1 & 6 AM. Hope you notice it enough to be considerate of your neighbors. ;)

Not such a little thing when it wakes you up between 1 & 6 AM. Hope you notice it enough to be considerate of your neighbors. ;)

I agree 100%. Nothing worse than being asleep and at around two and three in the morning the partiers come in and start slamming the balcony doors. Has happened on at least three of my Carnival cruises. Give me the sliding doors that RCI has anytime. They have a lock on the handle that will keep the door from sliding shut.

Bran8778,

Just wanted to say hi and note that we were both on the same Victory Cruise in March of 2004. Don't know if we ever saw each other but just noticed that in your signature. And yes, we always bring a bungee cord for the door. It also served as a clothesline for drying bathing suits in the sun. Kinda looked like the high rises in the city. lol

THATS COOL!!!! I just went through your pics, and I remember seeing all those spring breakers bonging those beers. Do you have any more pics???

Is there a certain bungy cord I should get???? I most familiar with the rubber black ones. I'm thinking maybe a shorter one would do the job(yes or no?)

A 2ft colored bungi with plastic hooks worked great. I like the idea of bringing extras for giving to someone who needs it.

We've often heard a lot of slamming doors on ships, balcony and cabin doors both. You'd think after the first couple of times they'd figure out how to close them without making so much noise. Maybe they are oblivious to the disturbance they are creating or they just don't care. In any case, we try to just live with it unless it becomes constant.

At night we used a bungee cord in a CAt.11 to secure the sliding door between the cabin and the dressing area. It made it easier to get to the bathroom in the dark. That sliding door can sometimes be difficult to open and if you leave it unlatched it slides back and forth with the motion of the ship..

I think the reason the balcony door closes automatically is to ensure that the stateroom airconditioning operates correctly at all times.

The moment you open the balcony door the aircon shuts off and hot air from the outside flows into your cabin.

I have just returned from a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise and even though I did take something to enable my husband and I to strap our balcony door open, we chose not to as we enjoyed the coolness of our stateroom after being outdoors in the sweltering heat.

I must admit that I too was guilty of causing the door to slam and had to make a conscious effort to keep the door from closing on its own, thus causing the slamming effect.

Of course I'm considerate enough to try to avoid inconveniencing my neighbors. Guess it doesn't bother me since I am just returning to my cabin about that time. Or maybe because I don't worry about such little things. I sure would not let a few slamming doors ruin my vacation.

We sailed on the Victory on the 9/4/05 sailing and the slamming cabin doors were the worst. You try to not let it ruin the vacation, but when you get woken up by your neighbors every morning at 7:30 because they don't have the common courtesy or the brains to realize that they are doing then it does get to you.

The doors slam due to the pressure differences between inside and outside air. The A/C has nothing to do with it.

We had this problem with our neighbours on the Triumph and it wasn't occasional slamming. It was constant and all night long. There was no way they couldn't have noticed the noise. In my mind, they were just plain ignorant.

Beth

Archived