BensonFan711's Personal Log - NCL Gem

BensonFan711

Love your positive attitude :) I can never understand why someone would pay for a vacation and not go determined to have a good time! No matter what, I am always in the mindset that I will have a great time!

Me too!! The way I see it, the worst cruise is still better than my best week at work!

Thank you for this review. I can't wait to sail the Gem in November! I, too, don't understand what could possibly be so bad that someone would say it is the worst vacation. I think it really depends on the mind set going in. It's vacation...it's already enjoyable! I am not sure what people expect that leads to such a let down.

If it takes a few minutes to get a drink what's the big deal? Where you going? you're on vacation.

A leisurely paced dinner? What's your hurry? you're on vacation.

Some gripes are legitimate complaints from what I have seen and should be brought to the attention of the cruiseline at the time. Sometimes though I have to say it seems like excessive whining.

Me too!! The way I see it, the worst cruise is still better than my best week at work!

Great attitude! I did have a "worst cruise" though. 2014 Labor Day week on the Gem, the amount of rudeness of so many people actually did put a damper on our cruise. I almost swore off of sailing out of NY, but now I just time it better. Loving reading your review!

Edited by newcruiser48

Thank you for this review. I can't wait to sail the Gem in November! I, too, don't understand what could possibly be so bad that someone would say it is the worst vacation. I think it really depends on the mind set going in. It's vacation...it's already enjoyable! I am not sure what people expect that leads to such a let down.

If it takes a few minutes to get a drink what's the big deal? Where you going? you're on vacation.

A leisurely paced dinner? What's your hurry? you're on vacation.

Some gripes are legitimate complaints from what I have seen and should be brought to the attention of the cruiseline at the time. Sometimes though I have to say it seems like excessive whining.

I too have had legitimate complaints. The service at the Blue Lagoon on the Dawn, for instance. Couldn't get a hot French fry to save my life (and cold ones are just icky). First time we went, the orders were all screwed up...wrong items, missing items...just BAD. And it was taking so long we opted to just eat whatever showed up at the table. Second time, we sat for 20 minutes before we saw a water or a glass of water. I'm pretty low maintenance, but this was REALLY bad.

I dropped a note in the Hotel Director's box. Not a rude note, just a factual account of our experience. Got a phone call from the Restaurant manager, who comped the entire party at La Cucina with a free bottle of wine and specialty coffees with dessert. Roughly $100 meal as compensation.

Things can be rectified very well if folks are calm, rational, and discuss it with the appropriate person. That positive attitude has earned me more swag and meals than folks realize.

Note that on Day 2 of my review, I called the Executive Chef to let him know about my fantastic lunch. Complimentary chocolates and VIP dining. Was I expecting that? No. I just thought the guy might want to hear from a happy guest instead of a miserable one. Perks were certainly appreciated and enjoyed.

I too have had legitimate complaints. The service at the Blue Lagoon on the Dawn, for instance. Couldn't get a hot French fry to save my life (and cold ones are just icky). First time we went, the orders were all screwed up...wrong items, missing items...just BAD. And it was taking so long we opted to just eat whatever showed up at the table. Second time, we sat for 20 minutes before we saw a water or a glass of water. I'm pretty low maintenance, but this was REALLY bad.

I dropped a note in the Hotel Director's box. Not a rude note, just a factual account of our experience. Got a phone call from the Restaurant manager, who comped the entire party at La Cucina with a free bottle of wine and specialty coffees with dessert. Roughly $100 meal as compensation.

Things can be rectified very well if folks are calm, rational, and discuss it with the appropriate person. That positive attitude has earned me more swag and meals than folks realize.

Note that on Day 2 of my review, I called the Executive Chef to let him know about my fantastic lunch. Complimentary chocolates and VIP dining. Was I expecting that? No. I just thought the guy might want to hear from a happy guest instead of a miserable one. Perks were certainly appreciated and enjoyed.

Beautiful! No one wants their guest to be unhappy. Most of the time pointing out something that is off and giving them a chance to make it right is best for everyone involved. Address it and move forward. Letting it ruin your whole vacation would be just tragic.

I definitely agree with your comments to the Executive Chef. I, actually, worked in the travel industry for 10 years in a past life and people who are happy tend to keep it to themselves. I am just as guilty as anyone for being loud when I am unhappy about something but when someone goes out of their way to pay a compliment it means a lot.

Sadly, some people are just never truly satisfied.

Sounds like your attitude on vacation works in your favor!