Air transfers

bjtmict

First time for plane change internationally... We fly from MCI to O'Hare.. I know we will have to go through customs then, as we are flying into Frankfort Germany... but we change planes in Frankfort to continue to Budapest... do we have to collect our luggage and go through customs there as well?

Thanks!

Your luggage should be checked through to Budapest, you will not need to collect it in Frankfurt.

You will not go through customs in Chicago, it is just a normal transfer from your domestic flight. Depending on airlines involved it may involve a change of terminals but no customs formalities just security.

Edited by Mark_T

As mentioned, no customs or immigration in ORD

As for Frankfurt transfer, assuming you are on the same airlines and staying in the same terminal, you shouldn't have to go through immigration there either.

You will go through immigration and customs once you deplane, with your luggage, in Budapest.

And put your itinerary inside your suitcase.

I print out a short itinerary and fold with

If lost, please deliver according to itinerary inside

on the outside and slip into my luggage tag. If at all possible I use an online translator to figure out how to say that in the language of the countries I'll be flying through and include that on the outside too

At minimum it contains date of arrival at destination, hotel and/or ship info, arrival date at home with home contact information.

some 'technical' information that may help

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/schengen-fact-sheet.html

The Schengen Borders Agreement permits people to travel freely within the Schengen area (consisting of 26 European countries – see list below), if the traveler otherwise qualifies to enter the Schengen area, by crossing an official external border during regular hours of operation and obtaining an entry stamp in the passport.

From other posts it looks like you are sailing from Budapest to Amsterdam.

Outbound you will have to clear Security in MCI, and at ORD should be able to proceeded directly to your next flight. In FRA you will have to clear Schengen immigration and get your passport stamped. Your bags should be routed directly to BUD (check this at the counter in MCI). In my experience you will have to clear Security at FRA before proceeding to your FRA-BUD flight. That flight is Schengen domestic and any customs in BUD would probably be on an honor red/green line system (I have flown out of BUD since Hungary became part of Schengen, but not flown into BUD since then - before Hungary joined Schengen you would have been "in-Transist" at FRA and did not clear immigration there, but you do now).

On your return, assuming that you are flying directly from AMS to the US you will have two Security points in AMS (one is general airport Security, and there is an additional layer of security for US bound flights) plus Schengen emigration where you will get an exit stamp. On First arrival in the US (ORD or wherever; it makes no difference if the aircraft later continues to your domestic destination) you will have to clear US Immigrations and Customs.

It is virtually impossible to avoid any of the checkpoints, so just follow the herd and you should have no problems.

Thom