Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

Copies can help obtain an emergency passport from the US local embassy, and it can help in countries with compulsory ID laws where local officials may have sticky fingers. In the USVI it has no value since you're already in the United States and can fly home without it.

While you don't need a passport to leave St Thomas, you still need proof of citizenship. So just your driver's license as ID won't cut it. They want a passport or at least a birth certificate. It isn't the same as traveling from state to state on the main land.

We're to sail on Liberty in two weeks but did remember the incident in March while in St. Maarten, so I looked it up again and it wasn't an actual fire that time. That incident was an issue with the thruster.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/smoke-seen-billowing-from-carnival-liberty-was-not-fire.html

We were on the Liberty when the incident happened in St. Maarten, they said it was a bearing, maybe it was a bearing in one of the thrusters. I remember we were eating our breakfast at Lido before getting off the ship to go to port, and they were making all these announcements, like Alpha, etc. I thought they were doing some kind of a drill, as they do sometimes the morning of a port stop. When we get off the ship, there were fire trucks, etc all over the place. No picture taking when we got off the ship that day!

11100235_10153191994458958_8896277064716953024_n.jpg?oh=4aa1db4e6aceeed3a9c03c206ecacbe6&oe=567BE748

We have 4 days in San Juan prior to our cruise. Haven't figured out what our options are if it doesn't sail, but sounds like she may get back to sailing today or tomorrow. Safe travels!

Hey Book! We're doing the same! We'll be in on the 16th around 1:30pm-ish... We're staying in Luquillo for the first 4 days and doing a bunch of sight-seeing in El Yunque and Snorkeling at Icacos...and of course the Kioskos! Then after the cruise we'll be at the Courtyard in Isla Verde until we leave on Wed. I sure hope there isn't a problem with the cruise...but if there is, we'll have a nice LONG vacation in P.R.!

Can't wait to see you there! I'll probably look the same as my CC pic...sun glasses and my red shirt! LOL

Edited by JKirkN

Hey Book! We're doing the same! We'll be in on the 16th around 1:30pm-ish... We're staying in Luquillo for the first 4 days and doing a bunch of sight-seeing in El Yunque and Snorkeling at Icacos...and of course the Kioskos! Then after the cruise we'll be at the Courtyard in Isla Verde until we leave on Wed. I sure hope there isn't a problem with the cruise...but if there is, we'll have a nice LONG vacation in P.R.!

Can't wait to see you there! I'll probably look the same as my CC pic...sun glasses and my red shirt! LOL

We don't have a lot of plans yet... Thinking of hitting crashboat and doing some scuba there. Def going to hit El Yunque and booked a bio bay tour. We're staying in condado. Sadly, were only staying one night after the cruise. This should be amazing though! Safe travels! Maybe we'll bump into each other!

pauleydm, I have no idea what you do for a living, but this has been one of the best jobs of reporting live about an incident I have read is several years. No speculation, no if on the one hand this, if on the other hand that. You reported what you knew. You were concise and chose words to tell exactly what you knew and did not elaborate on that.

I congratulate you for doing such a fine job. In my opinion Carnival needs to offer you a good job in PR.

Doc

It can help expedite the replacement of a lost or stolen passport. A copy does seem to be considered evidence of citizenship by the State Department. But I agree, you can't travel with a copy. A copy of a passport is even worth less in the US and its possessions. At least outside the US, you can use it at a consulate or embassy to make replacement of your passport quicker.

In an emergency you can fly without a passport. It is just more of a hassle to clear immigration. The gate agents at the Cozumel airport didn't even blink when the people in line behind us told them they only had a DL and were left by a cruise ship. They just got out the paperwork. It was clearly a common occurrence.

A passport copy- not sure what they'd do with that, because at least a DL is government issued. But I think a copy is a good thing to have if you need to report your passport stolen.

We don't have a lot of plans yet... Thinking of hitting crashboat and doing some scuba there. Def going to hit El Yunque and booked a bio bay tour. We're staying in condado. Sadly, were only staying one night after the cruise. This should be amazing though! Safe travels! Maybe we'll bump into each other!

We're doing the Icacos snorkel tour on Thursday and the BioBay on Thursday night...

pauleydm, I have no idea what you do for a living, but this has been one of the best jobs of reporting live about an incident I have read is several years. No speculation, no if on the one hand this, if on the other hand that. You reported what you knew. You were concise and chose words to tell exactly what you knew and did not elaborate on that.

I congratulate you for doing such a fine job. In my opinion Carnival needs to offer you a good job in PR.

Doc

Yes! Pauleydm, THANK YOU! You're updates were amazing!!!! Thanks for taking the time. I hope everything goes well for the rest of the cruise!

In an emergency you can fly without a passport. It is just more of a hassle to clear immigration. The gate agents at the Cozumel airport didn't even blink when the people in line behind us told them they only had a DL and were left by a cruise ship. They just got out the paperwork. It was clearly a common occurrence.

A passport copy- not sure what they'd do with that, because at least a DL is government issued. But I think a copy is a good thing to have if you need to report your passport stolen.

It does happen and people do fly without a passport, they have contingencies for this. Traveling without one won't be easy and you will be run through the wringer when returning to the US, but these things happen. In the event of a medical emergency, they will make sure you are taken care of medically and worry about passports later.

Sorry, my battery died. For the last hour, Carnival was passing out food to those who chose to stay in the port versus going to the Marriot. Carnival also went into the cabins of those who needed their medications and they gave them to them while we waited. The all clear was given around 8:00 and my spouse and I and our two friends were the first four passengers back on ship. Those who chose to go to the Marriott have not arrived yet. I just want to say that although it was not the day we planned, Carnival did a great job in trying to care for us. Crew members were walking all around port with ice water. They were asking us if we were doing ok. Two trucks full of palates of bottled water was brought in about 5:00. Carnival also brought in pizza at that time. Once the kitchen staff was allowed back on, Carnival brought out hot food which consisted of fried chicken, dinner rolls, burritos and I think burgers from Guys burgers. No announcement has been made of when we are officially leaving St Thomas or if our itinerary will be modified at all. My best guess is that Carnival will make an announcement once all passengers are back on board and we leave.

Great job of reporting.

While you don't need a passport to leave St Thomas, you still need proof of citizenship. So just your driver's license as ID won't cut it. They want a passport or at least a birth certificate. It isn't the same as traveling from state to state on the main land.

I flew home from St. Thomas the day before yesterday. all I needed for ID was my drivers license. I did have to clear Customs but my DL was all I needed.

The USVI are outside the US customs zone but not the immigration zone. You do have to pass through a customs check when flying to PR or the mainland from STT but not an immigration check. A passport or birth certificate is recommended but not necessary. A DL is sufficient. And even without that, US CBP cannot refuse entry to a US Citizen at any border. Just expect it to be a huge hassle if you truly don't have ID. We have an absolute right to return.

Same goes for TSA. They will let you fly without ID after you go through their slow verification process.

Edited by realjd

CARNIVAL LIBERTY STATEMENT

September 7, 2015 – 9 pm EDT

While docked in St. Thomas today Carnival Liberty experienced an engine fire that was extinguished by the ship’s automated suppression system. There were no injuries to guests or crew. All guests remained ashore through this evening while the ship's technical systems were evaluated. Presently, all hotel services including air conditioning, elevators, toilets, galleys, etc. are fully functional.

Crew was permitted to reboard at approximately 5:30 p.m. EDT to prepare for the anticipated embarkation of guests. At approximately 8 p.m. EDT the U.S. Coast Guard gave permission for guests to reboard.

Dinner is being served in the main dining rooms and Lido, and a variety of entertainment and activities are available.

A team of experts is in the process of conducting a deeper technical assessment of the affected engine room that is expected to be completed in the morning. At this time it has not been determined when the ship will depart St. Thomas.

We apologize to our guests for the inconvenience and appreciate their patience.

Carnival Liberty is on the second day of a seven-day Caribbean cruise that departed San Juan yesterday with 3,346 guests and 1,150 crew.

CARNIVAL LIBERTY STATEMENT

While docked in St. Thomas today Carnival Liberty experienced an engine fire that was extinguished by the ship’s automated suppression system. There were no injuries to guests or crew. All guests remained ashore through this evening while the ship's technical systems were evaluated. Presently, all hotel services including air conditioning, elevators, toilets, galleys, etc. are fully functional.

Crew was permitted to reboard at approximately 5:30 p.m. EDT to prepare for the anticipated embarkation of guests. At approximately 8 p.m. EDT the U.S. Coast Guard gave permission for guests to reboard.

Dinner is being served in the main dining rooms and Lido, and a variety of entertainment and activities are available.

A team of experts is in the process of conducting a deeper technical assessment of the affected engine room that is expected to be completed in the morning. At this time it has not been determined when the ship will depart St. Thomas.

Carnival Liberty is on the second day of a seven-day Caribbean cruise that departed San Juan yesterday with 3,346 guests and 1,150 crew.

So thankful that everyone is safe. Thank you for the accurate information. We'll be cruising with our young grandchildren in June. This kind of incident worries me more when thinking of dealing with them. If it were just my husband and me, I'd be less concerned. We'll have to make a point of seeing that everyone has proper ID and other essentials with them at all times.

From John just now:CARNIVAL LIBERTY STATEMENT

Sorry, my battery died. For the last hour, Carnival was passing out food to those who chose to stay in the port versus going to the Marriot. Carnival also went into the cabins of those who needed their medications and they gave them to them while we waited. The all clear was given around 8:00 and my spouse and I and our two friends were the first four passengers back on ship. Those who chose to go to the Marriott have not arrived yet. I just want to say that although it was not the day we planned, Carnival did a great job in trying to care for us. Crew members were walking all around port with ice water. They were asking us if we were doing ok. Two trucks full of palates of bottled water was brought in about 5:00. Carnival also brought in pizza at that time. Once the kitchen staff was allowed back on, Carnival brought out hot food which consisted of fried chicken, dinner rolls, burritos and I think burgers from Guys burgers. No announcement has been made of when we are officially leaving St Thomas or if our itinerary will be modified at all. My best guess is that Carnival will make an announcement once all passengers are back on board and we leave.

Please keep us updated I also have friends onboard. Their reporting is not nearly as good as yours. A good friend of mine works at Bolongo Hotel and has confirmed that Carnival has reserved their empty rooms. I hope it's just as a precaution.