Do midship elevators on Westerdam block view?

GoneJohnson

Hello,

I'm considering switching my stateroom SY5001 for SY8068.

5001 - a little smaller deck the front corners angled?, more wind, more motion and a long way from everything on board. -- a nice front window good for the canal crossing?

8068 - midship, same sized deck maybe a little bigger with a squared corner, less movement, closer to everything on board.

I am wondering if the elevator obstructs the forward view? I'll looked at many different photos and it some it seems they do protrude out and others make it look flat. - no obstruction... ideas? Anyone used this room or know the elevators.

We've never had a veranda next to the glass elevators, but from what I can see of those balconies from the elevators I would judge that the view obstruction would be slight. I believe that the 8068 balcony will be 7 ft deep compared to 6 ft for 5001.

I presume that you know both of those are HC cabins.

attachment.php?attachmentid=263488&d=1362836572

Edited by jtl513

We've never had a veranda next to the glass elevators, but from what I can see of those balconies from the elevators I would judge that the view obstruction would be slight. I believe that the 8068 balcony will be 7 ft deep compared to 6 ft for 5001.

I presume that you know both of those are HC cabins.

attachment.php?attachmentid=263488&d=1362836572

Thanks, yes I need a HC as I am in an electric wheelchair full-time.

Edited by GoneJohnson

We weren't in a stateroom adjacent to the mid-ship elevators on our most recent cruise, but we were on our previous cruise. I don't recall any of our view being blocked very much if at all. Considering a 180 degree view from your veranda, I wouldn't think that you'd lose any more than 10% of the view. The bigger issue is privacy as you can see from the above photo. Don't go out on your veranda unless you're "decent"!

Enjoy your cruise!