Bonaire docking

JJC

Just got back from there in April. Remember it was not a long dock and a small shopping area along side the port.

Don't seem to remember much about the port though as it didn't seem very commercialized. Which can be good sometimes.

We just got off the ship, shopped the locals art/jewelry/trinkets stands and bought a few shirts at a local store. Then sat at an open air bar and had a few drinks.

Can anyone suggest a carnival snorkel tour where you will see a lot of fish:confused:

I believe it's called Klein island, you will see it on way in. Suppose to be incredible for snorkeling. If you go it's a deserted island meaning no food, drink, chairs etc. you can charter over. As far as the docking, they were building many shops last time we were there. As far as Us we went down to a local beach. Went snorkeling and it was incredible. Bring water shoes, not much sand, mostly rocks and you will need them. Imo, Bonaire is up and coming port, will be much bigger and popular in 2-4 years. We loved it!

Bonaire is stupendous. We took a tour. Bus Stopped twice. Once to let us see Parrots flying over. ( not far from Venezuela). Then when two parakeets, who mate for life, were sitting by a huge termite nest. Their eggs were inside. that is where they hatch.

the Island does not have poverty . It is similar to Aruba and Curasao except they are very, very green. Catching one of their birdies gets you 2 years in the clinker.

You cannot buy land there but can lease it from the Government. maybe.

That private island..where scubadiving is so good was once being purchased by Harry Belafonte to build a resort

the PEOPLE of the ISLAND raised enough money to buy it back and pay him more to get it back.

They are serious about preserving their coral reef too.

LOVE that place. returning in December. LOVED that tour. LOVED it.

Anyone been to Bonaire? Need to know how the docking there is, long pier, dockside, ect....Thanks

We did the ABC islands back in December, it was my first time visiting them. Bonaire was the only one we didn't take a tour on, so there wasn't much to do near the ship. The ship does tie up at a dock, so no tendering. Pretty standard gift shops, a few bars and restaurants. We found one with WiFi, posted some pics, had a few beers then headed back to the ship. A pretty light day, but nice.

We went on Woodwind in Bonnaire. It was the best snorkel excursion of all our cruises. We booked it on our own and not thru the cruiseline. They are well known by cruisers and very reasonable prices.

we also used woodwind in March and loved it. Was by far the best snorkel excursion we've done on the various islands and ports in the caribbean. They had two excursions/day. The early one had two stops, whereas the afternoon one only had one. We did the early one and our friends the afternoon one. We both had an excellent time. The tour folks are fantastic and very knowledgeable. If you can book them (private only), do so. If you can't get a reservation, you can also go to the end of the pier where they pick up the tour that day to see if there are any open spots due to people cancelling at the last minute.

We stopped there in March on the Pride Repo. It was amazing! Please do more than just walk around town. We took a tour that was being offered right off the pier. In a small bus, to several places on the island. We saw the salt lakes, flamingo's, slave huts, and many other great places. The operator of the tour is also a photographer and he took our pictures (using our camera's) so we got some amazing pictures.

One of the most beautiful places we have seen! Loved it!! :D

If you're a snorkeler, there is no better place than Bonaire! Klein Bonaire is a small national marine reserve just a stone's throw from where the ship docks. You can take a water taxi over for about $25. There are no services on the island. Once there, you walk to your left, as far as you want to go, then enter the water and drift snorkel back to where you started. We did this two weeks ago, when we were rerouted to the ABCs due to Hurricane Danny.

When we visited in 2011, we went with Woodwind. We had a great day and I would have booked them again, but we only had a day's notice of our reroute.

From 2015:

DSCN1190.JPG

DSCN1208.JPG

DSCN1371.JPG

From 2011:

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

My mom will most likely need a wheel chair to get through ship check in (embarking) on the Carnival Magic. I've never had to deal with wheel chairs. Is it easier to bring your own, or will the cruise line furnish one? I assume if they furnish one for embarking, one may not be available while on the ship. Just trying to figure out what would work best for the whole cruise. Thanks

My mom will most likely need a wheel chair to get through ship check in (embarking) on the Carnival Magic. I've never had to deal with wheel chairs. Is it easier to bring your own, or will the cruise line furnish one? I assume if they furnish one for embarking, one may not be available while on the ship. Just trying to figure out what would work best for the whole cruise. Thanks

They will wheel her in but that is it, you can rent one for the week.

We stopped there in March on the Pride Repo. It was amazing! Please do more than just walk around town. We took a tour that was being offered right off the pier. In a small bus, to several places on the island. We saw the salt lakes, flamingo's, slave huts, and many other great places. The operator of the tour is also a photographer and he took our pictures (using our camera's) so we got some amazing pictures.

One of the most beautiful places we have seen! Loved it!! :D

vlynn: would love to know the name of the company and cost if you can remember. We're not tour folks but don't want to taxi to the flamingos and the small bus sounds great. Thanks.