New on FOS -- Self Serve Beer on Tap (Stella)

jules815

• 2 weeks later...
Copied from another thread......

Just off the Freedom yesterday and they installed Stella Beer dispensers on the second day of our sailing.

We had the Premium drink package so the bar tender gave us a key card type thing that had the Stella logo. The machines are set up to work during all hours in the event you need a beer at 6:00am. :rolleyes:

We were very excited to try this even though we are not big beer drinkers. They had a rep from the company that installed it floating around for a short time answering questions. So the next day we decided to give it a try.

You have to touch the card to the screen and it instantly activates. You only have 18 seconds to pull the tap and get your beer poured. The problem we ran into was that in 18 seconds you get a half of a beer and half foam. Then you have to wait 15 minutes for your card to reset.

By the last day, the machines started to go offline and slowly vanish.

Overall, these machines are a failure in my mind. Not sure if this was just a test to see if people would like it. But there are no positives.

These self-pour systems can be great but it really depends on which ones. I've used these DraftServ ones previously and have been quite underwhelmed. Just didn't pour a good beer which is what it all boils down to when you take away the fancy tech. Used another system by a company I think were called Drink Command (or something very close) and that poured an excellent beer. I do love pouring my own beer and I normally don't drink that much beer so I hope the cruise lines just use better systems.