Genoa to Portofino

kevg1889

Hi everyone, my DW & I are due to dock in Genoa on the MSC Fantasia on the 25th October at 8am, leaving at 5pm. I think, having read a few posts on Genoa, that we might look at the Portofino option, but I cannot decide whether to book the MSC tour, or try to get there & back on our own. I think I read somewhere of closures at the railway station, and I have tried to look up the train times on the Italian rail website, but it keeps saying N/A for the date & time we would need to travel. This worries me slightly, and also I think the boat service from Santa Margherita Legure is not too frequent in October.

Can anyone offer any advise on this, as we are first time cruisers, with a fear of missing our ship, but we do want to be a bit adventurous.

Are there other options from Genoa, or is Portofino the best bet? We don't really want to do the Aquarium or Historical Centre in Genoa, so are looking for the best alternative options for our special trip

The reason you are getting "NA" responses is that these are regional trains and the system only shows them seven days in advance.

To know what the schedule will be on October 25th, a Sunday, look at the schedule for this coming Sunday.

Your starting point is Genova Piazza Principe, the station closest to the cruise port (walking distance).

Your destination is Santa Margherita Ligure-Portofino, the closest station to Portofino. From here you can take a bus or a taxi to Portofino (about four miles).

You might make the 8:35 train (arrives at 9:30) but if not you'll certainly get the 9:12 (arrives 9:54).

For the return, it's smart to take the next-to-the-last train that will get you back in time. In your case you'd want to be back no later than 4:15 PM, allowing time to walk back to the port before a 4:30 PM all aboard time.

The last train that would get you back by that time is an IC that departs at 3:39 PM and arrives at 4:15 PM. However, I'd want to be on an earlier train so this could be my backup if I happen to miss my target train. That would make my target train the 3:07 regional train #11294 that arrives to Genova at 3:52 PM.

Thanks euro cruiser that's brilliant information - is there anything to see in Santa Margherita Ligure? Do you know how often the ferry runs from SML or is it best to just plan on taking the bus & do you know how often that runs? Finally do you have any idea on the cost of all the transport? just trying to work out whether its worth doing it ourselves or taking the MSC excursion which I believe is £52 per person.

Good to have somebody that helps us newbies out - thanks a lot.

Bus schedule between Santa Maria Ligure and Portofino here: http://www.atpesercizio.it/Orari201508041011/orari_TOC/82_A_gior.pdf

Ferry schedule between Santa Maria Ligure and Portofino here: http://traghettiportofino.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Orari-generali-Linea-1.pdf

Train fare between Genova and Santa Maria Ligure is €3,40 each way

Bus fare is €1,80 each way (details here: http://www.atpesercizio.it/Tariffe/tariffe_dal_1_maggio2014.pdf)

Ferry fare is €6,50 each way or €9,50 round trip (details here: http://traghettiportofino.it/tariffe-linea-noleggi/tariffe-linee-traghetti/)

So basically, as our trip will be on the 25th October we will be unable to get the ferry back from Portofino to SML? We should easily be in Portofino by 10-30am but would need to start our return journey on the 14-35 bus to catch the 15-07 train - is that long enough in Portofino to make it worthwhile? ( I think the MSC trip is only a 4 hour one anyway, so they must think its long enough!)

Finally, is it far from the train station in SML to either the bus stop or the ferry just so I can make sure our timings work?

Thanks again for your help I think we will be brave & go it alone, even though it will be our first ever port of call.

That late in the season, and given the shortness of your day, I wouldn't count on the ferry. The bus stop is right outside of the train station - exit the station and turn right, walk to the end of the sidewalk and you'll see the stop for the #82/882 bus.

If there isn't a bus coming (according to the schedule) within 15 minutes or so I would strongly urge you to spend some of the money you'll be saving by doing this on your own on a taxi to Portofino. It's only three miles, at most 20 Euro, and your time is worth that if a bus isn't arriving quickly.

One other suggestion, especially since you are new to this. If you haven't already done so find the roll call for your sailing on Cruise Critic and sign up. See if you can find others on your ship who will be doing the same thing and hook up with them. You could share the cost of a cab and everyone wins; even if you don't it's nice to have someone else around to ask questions of if you are unsure at any point along the way.

When we docked in Genoa last October we wanted to take a ferry to Portofino but could not. We were approached by a cab driver who offered to take us to Portofino, let us wander for an hour then take us to San Margherita where we could stop for lunch for an hour and then take us back to Genoa along the coastal, scenic road and show us the major attractions in the city for an hour before returning us to our ship, for 35 euro each. The only problem was that he wanted a minimum of 4 people. We managed to find 2 more people and made a day of it.

In retrospect we would have liked to spend a little more time in San Margherita and Genoa, Portofino was pretty but lacked depth.The driver was great, very proud of his city and had good knowledge of the local sites and history, but did not speak English very well.

I am not sure but believe that I have read similar posts in the past and the price has usually been 35 per person for the day trip, not sure about the cost of a one way fare.