Cabinmate NoShow or Cancel their booking? Cruise in 2 weeks?

LambKnuckles

Do I still pay port fees and tipping, for her, if she's a no show? Is it better to cancel her booking, or just let her be a no show at check in?

I've never had this happen before. I cruise on the 27th of September and have been hoping, but kind of knew, my cabin mate would not be able to go. Her Alzheimer's is just too far gone and it's not advisable for her to be out of her familiar surroundings for more than one or two days. We have insurance on her through Carnival.

I don't mind that I'll still pay for her half of the cabin. That's what I'd do if I booked it as a single.

I just wonder, if I cancel her in advance, would I save the port fees, tipping, and/or insurance?

OR -- Does a no show still have the same benefit of not paying port fees, tipping and that insurance?

Has anyone had this happen?

My only experience with this has been when my traveling companion had a work crisis and couldn't go at the last minute. I just checked in at embarkation, said I didn't know when my traveling companion would be. I had no other charges directed at me, gratuities were charged only to me for one person.

My companion didn't prepay their on-board expenses so those didn't become an issue for them. They did receive a small credit card reimbursement for the port fees. That is all I know. I didn't verify whether they had insurance and, if so, if they were reimbursed.

ETA: I don't think insurance is reimbursable after final payment....anyone have any definite information on this?

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

If you have insurance you should cancel her as long as the insurance covers the reason she is cancelling. Insurance will pay whatever percentage is covered of her cruise fare.

But, the reason must be a covered reason and possibly require a doctor's note. Otherwise they won't pay just because you think she shouldn't go. This also is not an acute disease, it's pre existing.

Might be simpler to just go.

It is after final payment so your cabin mate will not get reimbursed except for the port fees. You should not be charged anything additional. Carnival already received their money for the cruise so you should be OK. Going solo is fun. You will have the cabin to yourself and you will meet a lot of nice people. You will be able to do whatever you want when you want it. When I have gone solo, I did Your Time Dining. I was able to choose when I wanted to eat, and sit at a group table or dine at my own table. I liked the flexibility of Your Time Dining. I always made friends on the ship and was able to join other people at dinner or on excursions and meet up at shows and the bars.

You should join your ship's roll call and here on Cruse Critic and take part in some of the roll call activities.

I hope you go on the cruise and have a great time.:cool:

I just had this issue last month. Don't cancel. Just go and check in. Once checked in I told them my son wasn't coming. We were refunded his port fees, tax and gratuity. It was easy and there were no questions.

I'm so sorry he couldn't cruise with you -- but this is my exact situation and you have answered my question! THANK YOU!!

It is after final payment so your cabin mate will not get reimbursed except for the port fees. You should not be charged anything additional. Carnival already received their money for the cruise so you should be OK. Going solo is fun. You will have the cabin to yourself and you will meet a lot of nice people. You will be able to do whatever you want when you want it. When I have gone solo, I did Your Time Dining. I was able to choose when I wanted to eat, and sit at a group table or dine at my own table. I liked the flexibility of Your Time Dining. I always made friends on the ship and was able to join other people at dinner or on excursions and meet up at shows and the bars.

You should join your ship's roll call and here on Cruse Critic and take part in some of the roll call activities.

I hope you go on the cruise and have a great time.:cool:

Thank you for your ideas and for the cruising solo tips. This will be my first time in the cabin alone... I'll find out what that's like! TY!!!

My only experience with this has been when my traveling companion had a work crisis and couldn't go at the last minute. I just checked in at embarkation, said I didn't know when my traveling companion would be. I had no other charges directed at me, gratuities were charged only to me for one person.

My companion didn't prepay their on-board expenses so those didn't become an issue for them. They did receive a small credit card reimbursement for the port fees. That is all I know. I didn't verify whether they had insurance and, if so, if they were reimbursed.

ETA: I don't think insurance is reimbursable after final payment....anyone have any definite information on this?

Thank you! I guess I'll be sure to print individual boarding papers! That will help me check in without her!

This happened to one of my friends on our second cruise. Her cabin mate had to back out. Carnival let her change the guests for $150. We got another friend to go and he paid for the costs. So that's one option.. :)

You know... I didn't realize how hard it is to find a cabin mate! But mostly, it's such last minute!

Alzheimer's is a beast! it affects people differently, but when it advances, it is very difficult for the person affected. the caregiver is stressed beyond belief. they need to self-care from working the the Alzheimer's person. it tough and stressful..

I'm glad that she had insurance. why not blindly ask the insurance company "what if" and base your decisions on what they say.

can you get a last minute travel buddy?

I think no-show is the way to go. 2 years ago someone in our party couldn't go because of a death in the family, and we just didn't have her check in. This way there is no way that they can try to charge the single supplement. You will not have to pay the port fees or tips.

Delawarealan