SeaDream vs Seabourn?

docmsf

Considering a cruise to the Med 2006. Any help deciding bw these two would be great. I am sure BOTH have top notch service and food--kicker may be the condition of the ships? I understand the differences in the formal vs informality of the lines.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark -

We choose Seadream becasue of the informality. For us, the thought of dressing up all the time was not something we wanted to do on our vacation - and that very thing sets a tone on the ship that can truly make an impact on your vacation. I also get a feeling (although I may be wrong) that Seabourn attracts a slightly older crowd that is less active. Seadream appears to be a more active product.

Has anyone checked out the rates out of St. Thomas for April? We are getting very close to Carnival price points....I hope seadream is not thinking about starting a hairy chest contest while on board!

Dan

We've considered the Seabourn ships several times but never booked -- precisely due to the formality and what we perceive to be a deficiency in the public areas. The SeaDream passengers on our cruises have been fairly active (with an energetic core group, hiking in the rain forest on Nevis, climbing to the top of the island on Saba, etc).

the SeaDream ships are extremely well maintained (at least the parts the passengers see) -- I think if you compare the public spaces on the respective Web sites, you will see the difference. :)

April - out of ST. Thomas -- beware the Easter holidays unless you don't mind children and teenagers on board. We were on the cruise from "heck" last Easter Week (almost 1/3 of the passengers were under 18) and will never go again during the holidays (hear Christmas/New Years was just as bad) for an "adults" only experience.

FT

I did a Windstar cruise last Spring; just a few college kids, none younger.

As to Sea Dream vs. Seabourn, I'm advised (Berlitz Cruise Guide) the average age on Seabourn is 10 years older than Sea Dream. This, however may relate more to the fact that most of Seabourn's cruises are for longer periods with fewer ports.

The Seabourn board will tell you all of the great things about that ship. But on a comparison basis, note the following.

Seabourn is a larger ship and therefore offers much better entertainment. Seabourn's public spaces are larger and superior. .

However, Seabourn allows smoking in certain indoor areas. It has a very crowded outside dining space (smoking allowed) and the inside dining area (not the dining room) is cafeteria-like.

Note that Seabourn is a more formal ship. Tuxedos and dress code. Your choice as to what you like.

Note that Seadream tends to attract (solicit, cater to) families, groups etc.

Note also that Seadream tends to have fewer days at sea.

more later

For me, the last thing I want to do after touring or beaching (depending on the itinerary) is getting dolled up for dinner - but that's me. I can do that at home.

When I was choosing between the two , I watched both promotional videos and found them equally terrifying. However, I noticed everyone on the Seabourn video was older. I also noticed that once every cruise coming back from a shore excursion the crew stands outside the ship sort of at attention and greeting the passengers back. I would never get off the bus. I think thats a service that Seabourn passengers value.

I once had a butler on a large ship - I had no idea what to do with him. I had nothing for him to do, never wanted him to bring me anything, and if I wanted something I just called room service - it was faster than having to page the butler. Everyday at 4pm he would bring to the cabin a plate of food things that looked totally disgusting - I thanked him and threw them away. Then there were the horrible dirty looks I gt from the first seating passengers because I was swimming in the pool at 5:00 and they were gathering for cocktails - it was a nightmare.

At the end of the day I like the informal talking about the days events over cocktails. That makes me a happy camper. It's all about style. Actually, I am thinking about a Europe Cruise and looking more and more to Oceania for those very reasons - it seems to offer decent food and service and nice ports of call without the Tuxedo Parade. I took Windstar in the med and enjoyed it and I would do it again. Besides not enjoying the Seabourn product due to its formality, I would neer want to ruin other folks good time....whatever that may be.

Dan

:) Sea Dream is definitely not formal - however, the crew is very attentive. When you return from a shore excursion a couple of crew members - sometimes officers, but mostly just a couple of other staff, are always there to hand you a cool towel. There is always a bartender working the bar in the boarding area (pool deck) and drinks are immediately forthcoming.

As far as I know - the pool on SD is never closed- you can order dinner poolside and swim to your hearts content - without the glare of formally dressed diners. With the wide open spaces at the bar on the top deck and the happy hour reception held in doors, there is no pressure to conform. No assigned seating -- no set times -- it truly is a very flexible trip.

FT

FT -

Thats Fabulous! I can do a cold drink AND a towel! In all honesty, I think what I value most is not that they know my name after 5 minutes, but that they know how to make a good drink, serve decent meals and can keep the ship clean! The standing at attention thing made me scared...If I had to pass them all standing at attention I probably would give each and every one $1 - would not know what else to do. When I first read your comments I thought you said the crew was good looking!!!! (It's mid-day). I am sure they are anyway.

I am so excited about Seadream.....now I have to go investigate Europe. I think I will lurk those Oceania cruise boards - I am just hoping its not too pretencious. I can tell after reading several posts. If people are worried about when tea is served I have problems....

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

doc, ditto what everyone else said here. seabourne was out for us because of the formality factor. i cannot bear the thought of pantyhose after slurping down pina coladas all day. seadream is luxurious, don't get me wrong, but i'd call the crowd more active, and fun compared to what i know about seabourne.

I agree with those who say that SeaDream is better than Seabourne. But that may be because I am booked on SD II, and not on any Seabourne ships at the moment.;)

For me, I am more appreciative of the smaller size, the descriptions of better service, and yes, the relaxed atmosphere.

I have to say, though, that I think if I were to take a transatlantic crossing of 9 days or more, I would like to see one formal (or semi-formal) night. If for no other reason than a change of pace, dressing up, ballroom dancing, over-the-top menu, and an all night party atmosphere would

Think" "Night on the town in South Beach, or Monaco, or Cannes"

Excellent point wripro:D

It is much easier to pack without worrying about the gown/dresses/tux/suit. It is fun to dress up once in a while (we just did the black tie thing for a wedding in Philadelphia in August so that will hold us until the holidays).

FT you will be in Spain before you know it!

My best friend's mother, and her two sisters, and their mother (the grandmother), have only ever been known to cruise Seabourn. It suits them tremendously, and has been proven to give fabulouse entree ideas at mealtime when we visit. Certainly to each his own. My

Birkenstocks wouldn't get me very far on a Seabourn cruise, but you'll be able to pick me out on Seadream 1 in November :)

Well Loving Life,

You are in for a treat on SeaDream --on each of our cruises, a few guests requested a "special" menu. The chef always was able to work their requests into the schedule.

One time it was Indian and boy, was it well received. A dining partner ordered 5 different entrees and shared with us at the table. :)

A second time it was Mexican -- not as big a hit becasue it was the bland, Americanized version of Mexican. We had an extended group of residents of Mexico City on board and for those of who travel, it wasn't the same as authentic Mexican cuisine. But it was a good effort.

In, any case, I've been able to request and obtain specific recipes, so hope you enjoy.

I can not recommend enough the Eggs Benedict -- I would kill to be able to make the same Bearnise sauce, but I've never been able to exactly replicate.

One more week until I depart for my Sea Dream vacation.:D

FT

Archived