Help needed for Car/Jeep rentals

BlueSkySailing

I looking for the same information for a cruise in October. Let me know if you find a car to rent from and who you rented from.

I'll be but you'll be there before me. I won't be there till Dec.4,2015. If I find someone I'll post but please do the same if you find any info first.

Be careful when renting a car in St. Martin. We were going to rent a car, decided not to, and then while walking away we spoke to a nice gentleman who did rent a car. We talked to him later that night on the ship and he said the rental car company tried to make him pay for a part of the car that was falling off. It was clear it was from a previous accident so he would not pay for the damages that he did not do. They were pretty insistent but so was he. In the end he did not give them any extra money.

Sorry I don't know the name of the company he used.

Coastal is a reliable local outfit, there is also Avis (more expensive) and Hertz (much more expensive). I would not recommend renting from "just a guy with a car". You want to carefully check the car before taking it so any existing damage is noted. You also should go on line to reserve a car in advance - the regular outfits run out on busy days.

If you are thinking of just going to one beach and back, or maybe two stops, taxis would not cost much more, and would save you a lot of time.

Thank You for the replies. We're not into shopping or the beaches. So getting a cab I don't think will work. And the island tours I've seen won't take us to the things we want to do. It will cost to much to hire a cab for the day. So I think a rental was the best. I will video tape the inside and out of the car and note it on the papers. And I may end up renting Avis. Thanks again. And any other tips are welcome.

We rented from Hertz previously and just made a reservation with Hertz for Thanksgiving Day. We only rented a car not a jeep. Their prices were a little higher than coastal but we had a very good experience the first time and are looking forward to this Thanksgiving, with 4 BIG ships in port we are looking forward to getting away from the crowds.

FYI - My reservation for a "corolla" equivalent was only $66.50 for the day, plus whatever gas we use... A great value IMHO...

Gaynors- Do they pick you up if it is at the AirPort and is there a fee? Or is it at the port itself? This maybe the way we do it too. Thank You for the info.

If you make the reservation online they show they have two locations (one at the port and one at the airport), we booked the location at the port. They have a small office right in the port where you complete your paperwork then they take you by shuttle right outside the port gate (across the street) to their car lot. It was very simple and easy.

when I try to book online it shows three locations. One at the airport, one at orient bay and one at the Riu Palace. I don't know for sure but is one of these the cruise port? Maybe I am looking at the wrong company. I thought I read that you booked Hertz but might it have been Alamo? I will try that right now and see what I get.

We have rented from Coastal a couple of times and were very happy both times. They are right at the port. I believe that rates are cheaper if you prebook on their site as opposed to just walking up when you arrive. For peace of mind, took the full insurance package that was offered.