Royal Carribean's email add - touching a sting ray.

BillOh

When I finally got my open water certificaiton, one thing my instructor preached heavily on was not to disturb the coral, bottom, and sea life. Royal's latest email ad shows snorkelers reaching out and touching a Ray? I've avoided the sting ray excursions in Grand Caymen as I don't believe in domestication of wild animals, but doesn't this seem like a bad idea?

Probably much less detrimental in the long run than the huge mega ship fishing industries that are wiping out the fish populations and indiscriminately killing off by catch such as turtles, rays, dolphins, etc.

So given the big picture, I much prefer these open water interactions. The animals have a choice as to participate or not. The captive venues whould probably be the ones to give us the greatest concern. When I saw the dolphin enclosures they were using at Costa Maya, I was so sad to think of the quality of existance those critters were leading:(.

But then you visit a place such as Anthony Keys and see how more approptiate interactions can be done.

Are any of these situations ideal? Probably not but I would much rather those stingrays encounters occur in their current venue and see people excited to interact with them. That brings in tourism dollars, that makes the governments happy, and that typically leads to better protection of their waters to keep the tourism dollars flowing. Which in turn means a healthier ocean environment and more protection for their underwater life.

I'm can also make a case for avoiding the domestication of these wild animals, but I really think in this setting the preservation of the waters generated by these interactions, probably wins out. IMHO:)