Comedy Cruise

missmoo4

We are looking at shouting my in-laws on a cruise around June/July 2016 and were wondering what the Comedy Cruise is like? We were thinking the one that goes from Auckland to Sydney but that is open for negotiation.

Do you think a 60-65 year old couple would like this? They often go to comedy shows in Christchurch where they live

They've never cruised before but hubby and I did one last year and loved it so think they would too. Thanks

I've just returned from the Jewel comedy cruise. If your friends love comedians then this is a great cruise for them. There were a lot of shows onboard at different times through out the afternoon and evening.

• 1 month later...

Could someone who has been on a Comedy Cruise please advise if there are other forms of entertainment or things to do that are not comedy based? Are things like trivia and movies all comedy based as well? We are looking at a 4 day getaway cruise that is listed as 'Comedy' but hoping there will still be other things to do as neither of us are comedy fans. Thanks.

There are all the usual activities such as bingo, trivia and cocktail making etc. They also put on comedy workshops and extra comedy shows apart from the theatre entertainment. They are a fun way to cruise.:D

Note that some will treat these short cruises as booze cruises and hens/bucks events etc.

Thanks Mic for your reply. The 'booze cruise' aspect was another thing I wondered about. We usually sail with Princess but have sailed P&O a couple of times and found the crowd to be very different, younger and a little more 'boozy' [No offence to anyone - it's a holiday....right?] We were mainly considering it because it was across a weekend and it would mean my husband wouldn't have to take as much time off work. Something to think about. Thanks again.

Hi,

I have done this Auckland/Sydney crossing five times on Pacific Pearl, it is a great trip. The one word of caution that I would put on that is this is a winter repositioning across the Tasman.

Of the five times I have done it, four have been the June/July crossings and three were rough. The Tasman at this time of year may not always be for the faint hearted and for people who have not cruised before I would suggest some level of caution, or at least going into the trip knowing what to expect.

On this crossing we have at times been heading into seas from 6-11 metres, this is more than sufficient to make the crossing lively. I don't wish to be alarmist or put you off, but I do believe that you should be aware of what it could be like.

Cheers,

Thanks Mic for your reply. The 'booze cruise' aspect was another thing I wondered about. We usually sail with Princess but have sailed P&O a couple of times and found the crowd to be very different, younger and a little more 'boozy' [No offence to anyone - it's a holiday....right?] We were mainly considering it because it was across a weekend and it would mean my husband wouldn't have to take as much time off work. Something to think about. Thanks again.

I think it may be a little less of a booze cruise as it is would be more costly due to needing a flight here or back. That said, there are always areas where you can avoid the boozers. I think, if the timing suits , go for it.:D

Yes, most likely right, just got confused by Shiprobbo's post.:D

Not sure why the confusion, I was responding to the 'original poster' who is talking about the trans-Tasman Auckland/Sydney Comedy Cruise.

In my opinion it is all fine commenting on whether they and their in-laws will enjoy the comedy, however on this trip the weather makes an impact. There is no point in considering a trans-Tasman in June if you are prone to motion sickness, the reality would be that they may be too ill to enjoy the comedy anyway.

As new cruises they deserve to be informed of all relevant facts about the trip they are considering, that is what I was trying to do.

Now, as to whether these are booze cruises or not, then no not necessarily. I have been on a number of short cruises, including comedy cruises and have not found them to be specifically boozy. Of course this can depend on the time of year and the passenger load that is on board, in general Australians drink far more than some other nationalities and particularly while they are on holiday, that said P&O have good on-board security that makes sure that any disruptive elements among the passengers are quickly dealt with.

As to the quality of the comedy, that is somewhat subjective, depending on who is on board and what people like, however generally it seems popular. The ship does run a full program of other activities as well so even if you are on a comedy cruise and the acts are not your thing, there is still plenty to do.

Cheers,