2 Questions-Insurance and coupons??

KSGal

We are booked for our first cruise June 2006. I booked directly with Carnival. If I were to get ahold of a coupon, could we apply it to our scheduled cruise, or is it to late? (I have heard on this site that you can get them on EBay.)

Also, I have seen lots of info on insurance and have looked at several...is there anything in specific to look for in a policy? Any recommendations? My husband doesn't feel we need it, but I think we should have it just in case...

I don't know abpout insurance, but about the coupon:

I also booked and (and fully paid for) my cruise before realizing I had a coupon. The coupon clearly states that it must be submitted at time of deposit, but I called my Carnival PVP and asked them to make an exception, and apply the coupon to my S&S account if nothing else. She did not have the authority to do so, but gave me the phone number of a supervisor who did. She said they would be happy to make an exception and accept my coupon, and asked for my booking number. BUT...when my info came up, she saw I was on a holiday cruise and said that was blacked out for coupons.

So, if you are not on a holiday sailing, call Carnival and ask them to make that exception. Don't take no for an answer, but be respectful and patient. After all, you are asking them for a favor. By the way, the supervisor's phone number provided to me was (800) 819-3902 x70027.

Good luck; I hope this helps and they take care of you!

Hi

Yes, you need insurance. And you have to buy it within 10 days of making deposit to get pre-existing conditions excluded. (Maybe you are still within that time, or maybe you have no pre-existing conditions).

I always use TravelGuard. If you buy cancellation protection, the premium may add up -- This covers the total cost of the vaction if you have to cancel for a covered reason.

You need to at least get the coverage for Medical, Emergency Evacuation, etc. You can do this by inserting "zero" as the cost of the vacation on the Cruise and Travel Policy. They also offer a "last minute" policy with the same type of protection, but I believe the limits are higher on the Cruise and Travel policy.

You can also split the difference, which is what I do. I insure my trip at about half of its cost. This gives my a break in the premium, but I will still get half my money back if I have to cancel. The amount not covered is a risk I am willing to take, since up to the final payment deadline I can get all of my money back if I need to cancel.

I know of no reason to buy the "protection plan" offered by the cruise line. Outside insurance is the way to go.

Archived