For someone who's never sailed Princess...

tammymacb

I've stopped counting my total number of cruises and I've cruised pretty much all the major US cruise lines except Princess.

I posted something similar on the X boards and was reminded I should consider Princess also.

DH and myself are already deciding on an itinerary (roughly) for 2017. I really, really love DCL's Emerald Isle option. IF it's available in 2017 I'll definitely consider it, however, this year it's selling for about $7000 for two.

And, yes, I said it. DCL. We actually love it. And not for characters and that stuff, we love DCL for excellent service, beautiful rooms and nice dining rooms. I also enjoy the shows and entertainment brought aboard and the clubs. We never see the characters and avoid all the "kids" stuff and deck parties etc. So we pay a huge premium to do the more UN Disney side of DCL.

This year we did the inaugeral 9 night sail on the Magic through Norway's fjords and it was AMAZING. It was also $13000 for a non club level balcony for two.

So, anyway. I'm considering 2017 and I really like the options Princess shows for Europe. I'd like some info on the line. My sister says the food is excellent. How are the shows? We'll be doing a port intensive cruise if we end up in Europe but I still like to have the option at night. How is the service? Would you consider Princess "stuffy"?

DCL had been the only cruise option on the table, but I'd like to have some info on the other two players I'd even consider...X (which I've sailed before and enjoyed) and Princess (which I've never sailed) I've done multiple CCL, RCL, and NCL and they aren't on the table.

I'd appreciate any info you'd like to share.

Thanks!

I don't consider Princess "stuffy" any more than you'd say RCI was stuffy. You'll find a wide variety of ages and nationalities on a British Isles cruise. Americans can sometimes be in the minority.

Princess doesn't have as many big production/Broadway-type shows but rather offers a wide variety of entertainment throughout the evening in multiple lounges/theater. There could be a magician, comedian, singer, string quartet, piano player, trivia, game shows, MUTS (Movies Under the Stars) with blankets and popcorn, etc. throughout the evening. You might find yourself having to choose.

I don't consider Princess "stuffy" any more than you'd say RCI was stuffy. You'll find a wide variety of ages and nationalities on a British Isles cruise. Americans can sometimes be in the minority.

Princess doesn't have as many big production/Broadway-type shows but rather offers a wide variety of entertainment throughout the evening in multiple lounges/theater. There could be a magician, comedian, singer, string quartet, piano player, trivia, game shows, MUTS (Movies Under the Stars) with blankets and popcorn, etc. throughout the evening. You might find yourself having to choose.

I actually like the lounge entertainment option. I've seen all the Broadway style DCL shows and like (most) of them, but I always look forward to seeing who they brought onboard for entertainment. I've seen some excellent entertainers on DCL and I realize that they also entertain on other ships. I'd enjoy that.

No, Princess is NOT stuffy at all. We find it very relaxed. Service and food are very good. But food, like entertainment, is subjective. Never heard any serious complaints about those things. I think you will be very happy. Agree that X and Princess are more similar than different. The newer ships on both lines are very nice. Especially X's s class ships. Stunning.

Edited by eandj