dolphin royal swim and manatee interaction at chankanaab

No Beaches Here

Has anybody done this through RCI? Can you book independently? I was wondering if we book 3 people to do this excursion and book through RCI, how do others go along via the cruise ship? I don't want to book the excursion for myself, but do want to accompany the others and watch. I don't mind paying admission, but do not want to pay for the swim with dolphins? Also can you stay longer on your own?

Has anybody done this through RCI? Can you book independently? I was wondering if we book 3 people to do this excursion and book through RCI, how do others go along via the cruise ship? I don't want to book the excursion for myself, but do want to accompany the others and watch. I don't mind paying admission, but do not want to pay for the swim with dolphins? Also can you stay longer on your own?

We just booked the Royal Swim thru http://www.dolphindiscovery.com, they have a 2for1 promo going thru 9-23-15, which saves $149!! If someone is not doing the swim, the admission is $21 for adults and $14 for kids.

You have to put in the reservation you are staying at a hotel and not a cruise ship, otherwise it won't let you book thru them. Just look up a hotel name to put in the reservation.

Keith

Edited by Spring Valley

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and daughter did it a few years ago with the 2 for 1 special. It was my daughter's favorite cruise excursion ever. I think she was about 20 when she did it. We made the reservations online even though we came on a cruise ship. We enjoyed spending the day at the park too before and after the dolphin swim.

You have to put in the reservation you are staying at a hotel and not a cruise ship, otherwise it won't let you book thru them. Just look up a hotel name to put in the reservation.

Keep in mind if you do this that if your ship does not make the port for some reason it may be more difficult to get a refund. (Most vendors have a cruise ship policy for cancellation; but in this case, you've said you aren't on a cruise ship.)

Dolphin Discovery is a tour pushed and promoted heavily on Royal Caribbean. After spending over $400. For 4 tickets to take my family here, I feel violated. If we had just taken a cab direct to the facility which is less than 10 minutes from the cruise dock, our day may have been different. Our guide ruined our entire day.

What you need to understand the most is they will ask you for $200. For a photo of you with a dolphin.

Our experience was worse because of the employee guide from this place. Our guide asked us to meet at 11AM. We were lectured…. Set in single file lines…. Warned if we did not do exactly as she said – She told us we might be kidnapped. (I really am telling you the truth. I know it sounds ridiculous.) Our guide told us numerous times she was Naomi and to remember her name for our glowing reviews. Noted Naomi.

She told us not to allow any other company to take our photos. She told us not to shop anywhere but her friends Charlie’s store. She told us a tip for her help was expected. She told us all kinds of things for more than an hour. We didn’t even get to the place until 12 noon. Then she made us stand around another hour and we got into the water with the dolphin and trainer at 1pm.

With two hours wasted and large storm came in. You are out in deep water and they provide a life jacket but in a pelting rain the waves became large and my 8 year old was terrified. The swim with a dolphin ended early because of the rain. (I get that). We walked a long pier that was very slippery with a screaming child back to the building. Naomi began to scream at use when we started to dress our child in the outdoor family locker area. She said we had to get back in the water to see the manatee… (We had paid to do dolphins and manatees). My husband said- “We will, after the rain.” Naomi went all mad and got in my husband’s face. My child began to cry. Naomi could have cared less.

When the rain subsided an employee and lifeguard had watched this exchange and came to get us and let us meet the manatee. Naomi was not anywhere to be found. It was a great experience. We then went to get our photos of the experience. They wanted $200. They at first told us $200 for the group of photos. I explained I just wanted one of each of my kids. They said each photo was $80. I had expected to also pay for a photo. We know the drill. But $200??? That’s is really out of line. We declined. I was very very sad about having no photo from this day. On the way home Naomi was there with an open hand demanding her tip.

Edited by Kristeng

On the way home Naomi was there with an open hand demanding her tip.

I think Naomi must have been a guide on several of my tours. She travels to/from Costa Maya, Cozumel, Jamaica.... you get the idea.

Guides can make and break your tour. Sorry yours was so dreadful. We have the Dolphin & Stingray Tour booked this December in Grand Cayman. Hope our experience is much different than yours.