Stingray City with a 5 y.o.

lifeasme123

We have a stop in Cayman for our Dec2015 cruise. We will have our 5 y.o. and thought about taking her to the Stingray City.

Has anyone done this excursion with a young child? How's the water/boat ride - smooth, rocky? Didn't know if I need to bring dramamine for this.

TIA...

We have a stop in Cayman for our Dec2015 cruise. We will have our 5 y.o. and thought about taking her to the Stingray City.

Has anyone done this excursion with a young child? How's the water/boat ride - smooth, rocky? Didn't know if I need to bring dramamine for this.

TIA...

BTW - our daughter loves the water and animals (not just the usual dogs, cats, but she loves lizards, geckos, bugs, etc). She's been swimming since 6 months.

BTW - our daughter loves the water and animals (not just the usual dogs, cats, but she loves lizards, geckos, bugs, etc). She's been swimming since 6 months.

If that's the case, she'll have a great time. (It's not the age that matters, in my experience, it's the comfort level with water and strange animals.)

Generally, the weather conditions dictate how smooth the ride out there is.

My kids were 4 and 6 when we went. We practiced snorkeling in the Y pool for weeks beforehand. They were beyond excited about this. They jumped in the water and were promptly freaked out by the size of the rays. They stayed just long enough to get a picture and then it was back on the boat for them.

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

My kids were 4 and 6 when we went. We practiced snorkeling in the Y pool for weeks beforehand. They were beyond excited about this. They jumped in the water and were promptly freaked out by the size of the rays. They stayed just long enough to get a picture and then it was back on the boat for them.

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

Had a ten year old on our boat and she freaked out at the rays. Five I think is too young.

I should add that a couple of adults freaked out too.

Edited by Charles4515

Had a ten year old on our boat and she freaked out at the rays. Five I think is too young.

I should add that a couple of adults freaked out too.

I have been to Stingray City literally dozens of times, with various combinations of people.

In my experience, the deciding factor is not the age of the people, it's how well they deal with new experiences and/or strange animals.

For example, one trip we took family friends out to Stingray City. The 3yo boy was thrilled, petted the stingrays, and only cried when it was time to leave 'cause he didn't want to go. His 7yo sister was screeching within seconds and trying to climb up dad to get away from the monsters. We found out later that's the way she behaves with most animals, playing shy or running scared. If we'd known, we would have suggested she be on someone's shoulders or just watch from the boat.

Can you always predict? No, but you can get a pretty good idea. I suggest testing behaviour at a petting zoo or farm...preferably one where you can feed the deer or goats, etc. Or give them the bag of catnip in a room full of cats. :-) Something of that nature, where they can be around a lot of animals they don't really know. If they love it, there's a better than average chance they'll love Stingray City. If they are frightened of the fairly normal land animals, the stingrays are likely not going to be a positive experience unless they watch from the boat.

My boys were, I think, 6 & 9 when we went. Both are very comfortable in the water (we live in Florida, so they swim about 11.5 months out of the year). Both enjoyed it, the younger one more so than the older (younger is generally more adventurous and is an animal lover).

I agree with the posters above; my two year old was scared but has since mastered the art of snorkeling and done deep water, stingrays and sharks without problem.

And worst case scenario, people can take turns. When he was scared we put him back on the boat with grandma, who later got her own turn.

I think those posters stating that it all has to do with the comfort level of the child are spot on. My family all started snorkeling when we( and our kids) were 3-4 yrs old, were all taught how to swim at a very young age (in Grand Cayman no less) and were all very adventurous. That being said, my mother would want nothing to do in the water with stingrays, but all the littles loved it when we went back with our own.

It's not an age thing, more of a comfort level.

Sounds like your DD would have a grand time and a wonderful experience. If she can deal with affectionate cats (BTW, love Bookbabe's idea of the catnip in a room full of cats--very much like a sandbar full of inquisitive and squid-seeking 'rays ;)) DD will do just fine--better probably than some adults!

My take, FWIW: give her the opportunity, give her the ground rules (slide, don't step; don't put your arm/hand directly below the center of the ray where the vacuum mouth is; etc.) and let her guide her own experience herself. Kiss a ray for us!

Edited by capncarp

• 1 month later...

We went when my kids were 7 & 9. They were both good swimmers but did not really enjoy being in the water with all of these sea creatures. They were very freaked out and spent most of the time on the boat. At the time both kids really enjoyed the snorkeling and we even saw a nurse shark but the stingrays........not so much.

Like others have said, it's not their age it's how well they deal with stingrays in the water rubbing up against them and swimming all around them. The water is not deep but it can be quite intimidating.

We are going again in February but this time these two kids will be 14 & 16, I think they will enjoy it much more then they did the first time we went.

• 10 months later...
Thank you everyone for the feedback! We are one month away from the trip!

CapNCarp...love your avatar! Looks like our Jack!

That's my Earl, sadly passed over the rainbow bridge some years ago now. He was a cuddly, lovey, constantly purring buddy. He rarely "meowed"; instead, he went "Urrl!", so we figured he was telling us his name:rolleyes:.