Pelican Plunge Questions

bonniew88

This 72 year old granny is taking her 6 year old granddaughter on the Disney Wonder in February. I've just watched some You Tubes of Castaway Cay and I'm concerned about the Pelican Plunge. I don't swim nor do I do water parks. Am I able to walk out to the plunge? How deep is the water at the end of the plunge. My granddaughter swims a bit and she and her family do all the crazy water parks. Will she be able to enjoy the slides without making me a nervous wreck?

This 72 year old granny is taking her 6 year old granddaughter on the Disney Wonder in February. I've just watched some You Tubes of Castaway Cay and I'm concerned about the Pelican Plunge. I don't swim nor do I do water parks. Am I able to walk out to the plunge? How deep is the water at the end of the plunge. My granddaughter swims a bit and she and her family do all the crazy water parks. Will she be able to enjoy the slides without making me a nervous wreck?

No, you can't walk all the way to the plunge. To actually get to where the slides are, you must go in the water. It starts out like a beach (little or no depth) but, about 1/3 of the way out (just past where the pole is sticking out of the water behind the guy in orange shorts) the drop off is quite severe (ending up at least 10-12') at the raft where the slides are.

v3ljtj.jpg[/img]

24vnq1l.jpg[/img]

Edited by Shmoo here

Oy....thanks for that info, and the pictures are great. Right now, I'm thinking Scuttle Cove may be the best solution for us. If she gets bored and really wants to do the slides, I understand they provide swim vests for children. That might work...so they swim to the raft and then what? Swim back to the plunge? How does she get back to me wading waist deep on the other side of the rope?:)

Oy....thanks for that info, and the pictures are great. Right now, I'm thinking Scuttle Cove may be the best solution for us. If she gets bored and really wants to do the slides, I understand they provide swim vests for children. That might work...so they swim to the raft and then what? Swim back to the plunge? How does she get back to me wading waist deep on the other side of the rope?:)

Once you exit the slide (into the water) you must swim back to shore. If you want to go again, you must walk/swim back out to the raft.

As noted, you can wear one of the life jackets and wait where the drop off is (where you see the guy just to the left of the lifeguard stand). I'm not sure whether you can walk out there or if you'd have to actually go down the slide to get into that area.

As you can see there are floats separating the "approach" and "departure" areas in the water. And I don't think you can cross them.

Small correction--after the slide, you do not need to return all the way to shore. If you want to do it again, you need to swim out of the lifeguard/exit area. Once you have cleared the roped off area, you are free to enter the line again.

The depth varies greatly with the tides and season of the year. Also, they change the ropes depending on how busy they are. We have had times when people were allowed to get right back into the line (by ducking under the ropes) because there was basically no line at all. Other times there is a bit of a wait and they use up some of that time with the exit and enter roped areas.