Dawn 9/11-9/18 Boston - Quebec City

Synderela

Just returned from this cruise. My mother and I had a balcony room on the 9th floor. No issues with plumbing! The only problem with the room was the door to the balcony was difficult to open. Having never cruised before, I thought this was normal until the last day when we visited our friends' room and I walked out on their balcony and found theirs slid quite easily! Wish I had known. I was disappointed in our cabin steward. 4 out of 7 nights I had to track him down to get the dailies and ice. We were in our room around 8:00 each night but I still would have thought that was enough time to get those delivered. A couple of days it was after 2 before our room even had new towels delivered. Our friends who had cruised multiple times on NCL said they had never seen anything like the service we received. i could have spoken with guest services about it but I kept thinking each day it would get better. It didn't. The food we had was delicious. We either ate in Aqua, the Venetian or had the buffet for all meals. We went to the Band on the Run show. Kind of cheesy and not great singers. We also went to the balancing act show. It was ok. I have been to Cirque de Soliel shows so I think anything else just pales in comparison. Ports of call - Portland Maine- wonderful, wish we had had longer there but had to be back on ship by 2:00! Halifax was very nice and had plenty of time in port. Charlottetown was fabulous and would have loved to stay there longer. Gaspe'- still not really sure why we even stopped. I overheard this comment several times. Saguenay area- pretty neat area. Wish I had planned to rent a car - we did the hop on hop off bus but there really wasn't much within walking distance of the bus stops. Quebec City - beautiful. We did a ship's excursion tour that took us through the city and then dropped us at airport. Overall - lovely cruise!

A friend of ours was on that sailing (and I believe is still aboard, as they are doing a B2B) and has been posting that they had a great time. Some of the pictures he shared of the ports were wonderful, and I'm now thinking it would be a great trip to do someday.

Sorry to hear about the cabin steward. I've had some that were amazing, and some that you barely saw -- but they usually are all pretty good about bringing the dailies. Hope your next one is top-notch

forgot to ask - how many times do you change time on the ship

I know that some ports are on Atlantic time while others are on Eastern Time and it could vary from day to day.

Also did your port times change from what is published like NCL is now famous for doing last minute?

Our port times did change about 3 weeks out.

We lost an hour going into Halifax and got it back after leaving Charlottetown. I totally screwed up due to the daily saying set your clock back tonight when it really meant the next night. I overheard other people who had done the same thing so I didn't feel completely stupid.

We were also on the same cruise. The time changed going to Halifax and then again after Charlottetown.

We had a great time and the ship was in fairly good condition. The only maintenance issue that we saw was the punched in elevator buttons punched in--this was in numerous elevators.

We loved Gaspe--we rented a car and went to Perce and took the boat around Bonaventure Island. It was an 80 degree day and the views were stunning. In Sanguenay we also rented a car and drove down the coast. This was also an 80 degree day. Stunning views in Petit Sanguenay.

We also ate in the Venetian, Blue Lagoon and the buffet. The big surprise in all three was that they were not overly crowded and there were no lines. Even in the buffet we were able to find seats very quickly with no hassles. I guess this is to most people having the UDP and not going to these venues.

We thought the entertainment was very good. This was the second time we saw Band on the Run and we thought it was better than the first time. The main performance of Second City was great, the small shows in Spinaker were not so great.

We waited one time for about 10 minutes for a table at the Venetian. The hostess gave us a voucher for champagne while we waited but we didn't bother to go get it. The buffet rarely had a line but always seemed to be crowded with people just sitting around taking up tables while we were there. People seemed to be "lingering" at the table. Which is fine unless people need to sit down and eat. This was usually during breakfast.

Just returned from this cruise. My mother and I had a balcony room on the 9th floor. No issues with plumbing! The only problem with the room was the door to the balcony was difficult to open. Having never cruised before, I thought this was normal until the last day when we visited our friends' room and I walked out on their balcony and found theirs slid quite easily! Wish I had known. I was disappointed in our cabin steward. 4 out of 7 nights I had to track him down to get the dailies and ice. We were in our room around 8:00 each night but I still would have thought that was enough time to get those delivered. A couple of days it was after 2 before our room even had new towels delivered. Our friends who had cruised multiple times on NCL said they had never seen anything like the service we received. i could have spoken with guest services about it but I kept thinking each day it would get better. It didn't. The food we had was delicious. We either ate in Aqua, the Venetian or had the buffet for all meals. We went to the Band on the Run show. Kind of cheesy and not great singers. We also went to the balancing act show. It was ok. I have been to Cirque de Soliel shows so I think anything else just pales in comparison. Ports of call - Portland Maine- wonderful, wish we had had longer there but had to be back on ship by 2:00! Halifax was very nice and had plenty of time in port. Charlottetown was fabulous and would have loved to stay there longer. Gaspe'- still not really sure why we even stopped. I overheard this comment several times. Saguenay area- pretty neat area. Wish I had planned to rent a car - we did the hop on hop off bus but there really wasn't much within walking distance of the bus stops. Quebec City - beautiful. We did a ship's excursion tour that took us through the city and then dropped us at airport. Overall - lovely cruise!

Your experience with your cabin steward sounded like ours on the Spirit many years ago. We have cruised NCL many times and have had good to great service except for that one cruise. I tried to make excuses for the lack luster service. Like you we do get back into our cabin pretty early, still no excuse. I think you just have to chalk it up to a guy who didn't really care.BTW I did complain, but not til next to the last day and only to let the hotel manager know, so he might be able to discuss it with the steward so the next guests would have a more positive experience.

I am glad otherwise you had a good experience on your first cruise. I think your view of the shows might have to do with your newness to cruising. No matter how good the entertainment is, we are not talking Vegas quality.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Dingo Dave is the cruise director. And he finds himself VERY entertaining. I don't recall an illusionist. But I don't like magicians and illusionists so I wouldn't have paid attention to the names. I hate that I can't figure that kind of thing out! LOL

We were on the Dawn the cruise before you from Boston to Bermuda. Our room steward was the best one we ever had. I am sorry you did not have the same experience.

What did you do in Portland? What excursions are offered? I'm just curious because we live in the Portland area and I work in the Old Port in Portland. I've always wondered what they offered passengers for excursions. I would imagine that they would have a trip to Kennebunkport to see President Bush's "compound", a tour to see the lighthouses and a trip to Freeport for shopping at LL Bean and the other outlet stores.

Dingo Dave is the cruise director. And he finds himself VERY entertaining. I don't recall an illusionist. But I don't like magicians and illusionists so I wouldn't have paid attention to the names. I hate that I can't figure that kind of thing out! LOL

Thanks!! We have cruised with Dingo Dave twice, he can be funny.

We are cruising on the Dawn in November, is David DeVinchy still the illusionist? Is Bobby still the cruise director?

Thank you!!

Yes, DeVinchy is still there. Parts were very good and parts were really drawn our and too long. He did a close up magic show in Spinakers, was part of the Elements show in the Stardust and a full show in Stardust.

Dingo Daveis the CD. I don't really care who the CD is on a cruise, but I really enjoyed him. He came to the M&G and whenever he saw me he asked how the cruise was going.

We were on the Dawn the cruise before you from Boston to Bermuda. Our room steward was the best one we ever had. I am sorry you did not have the same experience.

What did you do in Portland? What excursions are offered? I'm just curious because we live in the Portland area and I work in the Old Port in Portland. I've always wondered what they offered passengers for excursions. I would imagine that they would have a trip to Kennebunkport to see President Bush's "compound", a tour to see the lighthouses and a trip to Freeport for shopping at LL Bean and the other outlet stores.

The times in Portland were kind of wonky: 7am which is too early for anything to be open until 3pm. We did the Portland Discovery trolley and boat tour. The trolley started at 9:30 and we ended up with the boat tour about 1pm. We had a chance to check out the craft people which went from the terminal to the marina where we got the trolley. After we had time to check out the town and shops. It was a great choice based on the times.

Yes, DeVinchy is still there. Parts were very good and parts were really drawn our and too long. He did a close up magic show in Spinakers, was part of the Elements show in the Stardust and a full show in Stardust.

Dingo Daveis the CD. I don't really care who the CD is on a cruise, but I really enjoyed him. He came to the M&G and whenever he saw me he asked how the cruise was going.

Thank you!! We wound up sitting with David at a bar in Roatan last cruise, he is very nice. I hope he will be on board in Nov. Not sure if Dingo Dave will remember us, we are going to our meet and greet.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app