Good Bye Celebrity

JDSTURTZ

Seahorse, you should take the time to read the posts... the Nov. 19th itinerary has been changed. Grenada is no longer a stop on this itinerary.

Not on the FAX I received today. It said it got so much feedback from agents and guests they changed it back:D

Ingrid - Seahorse is CORRECT! Go to the X web site. As of 4:00pm Mountain Daylight Time, our original itinerary, down to arriving at DR at 1:00 instead of 5:00 is back!! Although I have my doubts if this will hold and until I step foot on each and every one of these islands I won't believe it!! :>P

Celebrity - stop messing with our heads!!!!

Barb

I'll save further judgement until we disembark on the 26th. It's not that I don't trust them...well, yeah it is that I don't trust them. Not at this point. This could have been handled more effectively and it highlights the failure of X to address customers requests/complaints.

A similar thing happened to our Constellation Southern Caribbean cruise two years ago. They made a change in the itinerary. It wasn't nearly as bad a change as what you got. It was a switch of a nice port to Casa De Campo. The itinerary showed that way for about a month and then switched back to the original one for the 2003 sailings. In our case when it switched back to the better itinerary (also I think because of complaints), it stayed back.

I'm glad they listen to the feedback. On the other hand, one doesn't want to have to be the squeaky wheel and worry for a few weeks to get a comfortable vacation.

I'll save further judgement until we disembark on the 26th. It's not that I don't trust them...well, yeah it is that I don't trust them. Not at this point. This could have been handled more effectively and it highlights the failure of X to address customers requests/complaints.

So what does this tell us about X if they were able to revert back to the original itinerary due to customer complaints? It would seem that the change to our itinerary was not likely due to hurricane damage or port issues... what, X had an itch and felt like scratching?!

Whatever....... I'm very pleased to learn that the itinerary we paid for is back.

Thank you fellow posters for keeping us informed. Thanks to everyone who took the time to write or call Celebrity to express their dissatisfaction with the changes.

Ingrid.

Hi Everyone !

I am very happy to see that it looks like you got your wish. As I have said repeatedly, it does pay to let Celebrity Management know your thoughts. They ARE listening, and responding more than ever. I commend Celebrity for their actions.

I sincerely hope that everything works out to your satisfaction.

Enjoy your Cruise !

So perhaps it pays to be loud, slightly irritable, and willing to take your marbles and go play elsewhere. I'm glad enough people cancelled/called/wrote, TAs as well as pax, to contribute to (cause?) a return to the original itinerary.

We will be a day ahead of our X buddies in Grenada, on the Golden Princess. This little snafu broke a spell between us and X... I had wanted to try other lines but how could I walk away from the classiness and service and food of an X cruise? Senior management helped push us out of our comfort zone to try something new. So after our Princess cruise, we'll be able to join those who can respond to the "Princess or X" questions.

This return to the original itinerary just goes to prove that consumers have more power than they believe they do. Grumbling under our breath or to our friends accomplishes nothing, but making phone calls, sending e-mails and writing letters CAN make a difference. Even if the itinerary hadn't changed, at least some of us took the time to make our displeasure known to the company. That may affect their decision making in the future.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the campaign to get the itinerary changed or, at minimum, get an explanation for the change. I suppose we might never know the real reason for the removal and reinstatement of Grenada, but we're very glad it's back.

Thanksgiving week at sea is looking much brighter.

Karen

OH, come on! You have been cruising quite sometime now and should know that the cruise company does have the right to change the itinerary at anytime. Heck, it says so in your ticket contract. The probability of this type of change comes with the territory, so to speak.

So why throw a tantrum when it happens.

Yes, itinerary change is in the contract , which, by the way, we get after the final payment and 2- 3 weeks before the sailing. So, it is too late to cancel. And if there is a drastic change, I will be upset. For example, If I am taking Scandinavian cruise to visit St. Peter, Russia and my cruise cost me 10 K, and after final payment to find there is no stop in Russia, but extra relaxing days at sea, I will be BS. But, just 10 days ago we took a cruise to Bermuda and Caribbean on JOS. We couldn't dock in Bermuda, got St Thomas instead, and did stop in Bermuda for one day on the way back ( originally 2 days stay) thanks to the efforts of the Captain. Can't complain, when cruising in the middle of the harricane season. That was a different story and everybody undestood the situation.

Most of the time when the cruise lines change intineraries have to do with the number of ships in port. As Carnival and Royal Caribbean seem to get larger and larger, and the other cruise lines fleets are getting larger too, not everyone can do the same port of call. Myself, I prefer going to a port of call with only one or two ships calling, not four or five. And its becoming a problem as these small island nations don't have the infrastructure or the manpower to handle the increasing number of ships, much less the ever increasing size of these ships.

Most of the time when the cruise lines change intineraries have to do with the number of ships in port. As Carnival and Royal Caribbean seem to get larger and larger, and the other cruise lines fleets are getting larger too, not everyone can do the same port of call. Myself, I prefer going to a port of call with only one or two ships calling, not four or five. And its becoming a problem as these small island nations don't have the infrastructure or the manpower to handle the increasing number of ships, much less the ever increasing size of these ships.

Don - can that really be the case here? If so, how was Celebrity able to reinstate the original itinerary so easily? And why would they not know of the other ships in port on that day, before, for instance, the final payment date of the first scheduled sailing? Then again, maybe I'm feeling a bit like a conspiracy theorist right now....:rolleyes:

If so, how was Celebrity able to reinstate the original itinerary so easily?

Probably because of the fact that, like I posted in another thread day before yesterday, Celebrity was using the Grenadian government as a scapegoat.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4870154&highlight=grenada#post4870154

Again, just my uninformed opinion. I'm only speculating here and have no real knowledge about the goings on between X and Grenada.

I think that they were able to "reinstate" it because it was never formally changed in the first place. X was testing the waters so to speak, and the reaction was not good. I know for a fact that their agents here in Grenada were not aware of any such change and were surprised when I went to ask them.

I'm just hoping that this change stays put, both for the sake of Grenada's economy which needs it, and for my own in that I will get to see my girlfriend earlier than December 28th.

Okay, best go back to lurk mode now. Neurology and the rubrospinal tract are beckoning to me.

Best of luck to you all in getting the cruises you are looking forward to and have planned for so long.

- Jumbie

Most of the time when the cruise lines change intineraries have to do with the number of ships in port.
I'd like to think that they pay attention to this, but on our 12/5/05 cruise, there will be EIGHT ships in port in Cozumel during our stay there!

More to the point, though, one would think that the reservations at a port would already have been negotiated and settled between the line and the port authority when the cruise is opened for booking, and unless these ports just abitrarily tell one line to get lost in favor of another after the deal is already done, I don't see why an itinerary should ever change on this account. Surely the lines don't just announce cruises with the hope that they'll be able to land a port reservation?!?:confused:

As our Cozumel situation points out, though, I can certainly agree that some of these ports are getting seriously overloaded.

Probably because of the fact that, like I posted in another thread day before yesterday, Celebrity was using the Grenadian government as a scapegoat.
Hey Jumbie -- welcome back!!! How have you been since February, or whenever it was that we last heard from you? How's the island pulling together? When we were there in April, most of the roofing material was still made of blue tarps!

Jumbie - thanks for the info. Maybe I'm not as paranoid as I thought.

Off-subject Grenada questions:

I honeymooned there in Feb 03 and fell in love with the island. Can you confirm a few things for me? Is Secret Harbour indeed closed? I'm hoping to track down a former employee that gave us a private boat tour and befriended us during our stay...not sure how to do that if it is closed now. Will Brown Sugar restaurant open soon? I haven't been able to confirm this info in my internet searches and would love to get the word from a Grenadian. If you have any of this info, or anything else that might interest those of us coming to Grenada, please share - if you think it would interest more than myself, feel free to share on the Grenada boards. If you want to reply to me directly, you can email me at dawnbean@yahoo.com. Your time and thoughts are much appreciated! :)

Best of luck with your studies!

First, it is expanding the meaning of this element of the contract past its initial purpose to protect the cruise line when they are forced to make a change. Now they exercise this willy-nilly, without sufficient cause. As far as I'm concerned, this power should be severely limited in terms of when it can be triggered and how the customer is compensated for these changes.

Just an idea off the top of my head, and maybe it won't do any good, but might be worth a shot...

If you paid for your trip with a credit card, it might be possible to invoke the consumer protections that go with many cards. Basically, you would have to write to your card issuer and make the case that you paid for something that you did not receive, or that the value of what you received was not as advertised. Celebrity's contract may get them out of it, but if you can make them see the part about the intent of the clause and how it's been mis-used, you might be able to get something back. I would think it would be even better if a whole lot of you were able to make the case together.

Another place you may be able to register a complaint would be with your state's consumer protection offices. Some of these offices will even launch an investigation for you. Perhaps you would at least be able to get a definitive answer on why this has been done. Finally, register a complaint against RCI or Celebrity with the Better Business Bureau and CLIA. You won't get any money back, but you will at least be able to warn others before this happens to them.

Thank goodness Celebrity priced me out of this cruise before I could book. So sorry this is happening to all of you. Good luck.

Well, it appears that you don't need my idea after all. Congratulations on your success.

(I did read the whole thread, but was working forward from first unread and didn't expect this dramatic change. Sorry if I seemed out of line.)

According to the Grenadian Tourism Board web site calendar, the only other ship scheduled in that day is the Oceana, so hardly think that's the case (too many ships). Think it's what we all thought all along - they were being devious and underhanded and looking out for their own interests!

Oh wait - I think it's the Sun Princess that's in. Heck, the itinerary I printed out on Tuesday says we're there on the 23rd, but this mornig it says we're there on the 22nd. OK - THIS makes me nervous again!

In any case, either day there appears to only be one other ship in Grenada.

I guess this is what happens when we start celebrating too early. How many more times will our itinerary be changed before we sail? What schedule we will see once we get onboard? Will we arrive in Grenada on the 23rd or the 22nd? Will we arrive there at all? I must say that at this point, I don't trust any itinerary I see posted on X's website. We'll have to wait until we board to find out where we are actually going.

How can we feel comfortable sailing in the future with a company that instills so much distrust and frustration in its passengers?

:(

These boards have helped me see the light. I have elite status with Celebrity and booked my CC cabin on the 11/10 Constellation early. We they had a last minute fire sale and I just saw on these boards someone who paid a third of what I paid for an inside guarantee and got upgraded to a CC cabin and they have sailed Celebrity 1/3 as many times as I have. So much for everyone pays the same. I will write my Dear Celebrity letter when I return and never darken their doors again.

Constellation 11/10/05, Star Princess 5/05, Horizon 2004, Sapphire Princess 2004 , Zuiderdam 2003, Constellation 2003, Infinity 2002, Vision of the Seas 2002,

Mercury 2001, Zenith 2001, Norwegian Sky 2000, Horizon 2000, Ryndam 1999,

Grand Princess 1999, Westerdam 1998, Grand Princess 1998, Oriania 1997, 1985-1996: Home 1, HAL 3, RCCL 3, NCL 2, Princess 11, Royal 1, Cunard 1, and Celebrity 2.

Received a letter from Mike Willis, Corporate Guest Relations today in response to my letter to Hanrahan and Rice that addressed our itinerary change on the 11/19 Constellation.

"Thank you for contacting Mr. Hanrahan's office regarding your upcoming Celebrity Cruises sailing on the Constellation. He appreciated hearing from you and following his review of your letter requested that I respond to your concerns. Additionally, please accept our apologies for the delay in our response.

As you noted, we recently changed the itinerary on the Constellation to extend the stay at Casa de Campo and to stop at Catalina Island versus stopping at Grenada. WE have received a great deal of feedback from both you and other guests that the original itinerary is preferred. As a result, we want you to know that we are listening and we are reinstating the original desired itinerary. Thank you ffor the open dialogue and your continued support to Celebrity Cruises.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard the Constellation in the near future."

Received a letter from Mike Willis, Corporate Guest Relations today in response to my letter to Hanrahan and Rice that addressed our itinerary change on the 11/19 Constellation.

"Thank you for contacting Mr. Hanrahan's office regarding your upcoming Celebrity Cruises sailing on the Constellation. He appreciated hearing from you and following his review of your letter requested that I respond to your concerns. Additionally, please accept our apologies for the delay in our response.

As you noted, we recently changed the itinerary on the Constellation to extend the stay at Casa de Campo and to stop at Catalina Island versus stopping at Grenada. WE have received a great deal of feedback from both you and other guests that the original itinerary is preferred. As a result, we want you to know that we are listening and we are reinstating the original desired itinerary. Thank you ffor the open dialogue and your continued support to Celebrity Cruises.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard the Constellation in the near future."

Archived