Advice on promotion/specialty dining on the Crown

cruiseintoheaven

We are leaving on a 7-day cruise on the Crown Princess this Saturday. Our plan is to dine at both the Crown Grill and Sabatini's--probably, multiple times. On our return I will make a point of returning to this conversation and reporting our experiences.

:)

HI, my DH and I will also be on the Crown on Saturday. I was going to try to convince my DH to go to Sabatini's, but with all of the good reports about the CG it makes me want to try to have that correct experience. I will be checking back here to see about your night in the CG.

OP stated their cruise isn't until May 2016 and inquiring Crown Grill vs. Sabatini's. (BTW: we like Crown Grill)

Here is another viewpoint that hasn't been mentioned:

It's possible Sabatini's may not be an option if OP's ship has been revamped for the new SHARE specialty dining by Curtis Stone. This excerpt from Princess website (below) doesn't say it will be on all ships (yet??) nor does it mention Alaska cruises but if OP is sailing on Ruby or Coral in Alaska (I don't think Emerald will be in AK), SHARE would be the dining option along with Crown Grill. If it is an option, I think I'd try out SHARE!!

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2015/08/Princess-Cruises-Introduces-Share-by-Curtis-Stone.html#.Vgq6WVKFOHs

SHARE is scheduled to debut aboard Ruby Princess and Emerald Princess this December.

Following the debut of SHARE aboard Ruby Princess sailing from Los Angeles on cruises to Hawaii and Mexico and Emerald Princess sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean this December, the rollout will continue aboard Coral Princess cruising the Panama Canal in January 2016 and then Sun Princess in April 2016, which will bring Chef Stone’s restaurant to his home country, Australia.

UPDATE: oops...I didn't look at OP's signature to see they are on the Crown Princess so SHARE won't be an option, but it is something to consider for those who have booked 3 for Free on one of the SHARE converted ships.

Edited by gotta cruise again
updated...

PVSA prevents a ship not registered in the US from carrying passengers from one US port to another (exceptions involve far foreign ports during trip). So you cannot sail from Seattle and get off in Alaska. No problem if the Seattle cruise ends in Seattle, though. Shouldn't be a problem if you get on in Vancouver and off anywhere. One-way Alaska cruises start in Vancouver for exactly this reason. Seattle cruises are normally round trip, so PVSA would not apply.

You can't violate the PVSA. If you happen to book cruises that do, the line will eventually notice this and cancel one or all legs. Several ways around the problem. For example, a couple of years ago we took a one-day from Seattle to Vancouver. The ship then sailed to LA, which we could not do even if we wanted to. We just got off for a few days there and then took a different ship down to LA.

The big problem for us with Sabatini's is it leans toward shellfish and seafood. Plus more food than we can eat in a week.

They should be fine. Their cruise starts in Vancouver and ends in Alaska, Seattle is just considered a stop. Earlier this year I did the opposite, boarded the Pacific Princess in LA to Vancouver then did B2B from Vancouver-Whittier-Vancouver. So my cruise was technically from LA to Vancouver. You can't stop and start in different US ports, they technically start in Vancouver.

I also had a couple of vouchers and as a single they are only good for one meal, I also had wondered if I could get two meals. First thing you want to do when you board is make a reservation or change what they assigned. The spaces go quickly and you may be stuck with what you were given. The only one I really even had any sort of choice was when I called at 9am on the morning of my last leg before any new passengers had even boarded the ship.

That's interesting - when my sister in law inquired about the specialty dining (she would be sailing solo) she was told by the Princess rep that if the promo was specialty dining for two - she would be able to enjoy both - but - certainly not the first time I've heard about conflicting answers - oh well - problems of luxury - that's for sure. .....appreciate all the replies - think DH and I are leaning towards the CG based on the feedback - hope to enjoy many more cruises and sabbattinis or the new Curtis stone option as well [emoji4]

[quote name=XBGuy;4782 The next night we dined in Sabatini's and met' date=' possibly, the best waiter we've had in our last five or six cruises. Here's the best part. He actually was from Italy--the first Italian waiter I ever recall on a cruise.

So, to the OP, I say take your pick.[/quote]

I suspect that the waiter that you had was Francesco....He works in Sabatini''s and has for a long time. He has owned and managed several restaurants in Italy, and you are correct.....He is the best....if I am on the Crown....it is Sabatini's all the way.....Not the CG.....However, that said, not all Sabatini's are the same....Was on another ship this past summer and Sabatini's was not bad, it was horrid...such bad service, such bad food that they gave us credit for another specialty meal....at another venue of our choice....

When we go to Sabatini's DW likes the Italian and I like a steak and lobster. We would let them know when we booked the reservation and the steak and lobster there is as good as the CG. I got a rib eye with a nice big lobster tail. This is not on the menu, we have done this a few times with no problems.

I suspect that the waiter that you had was Francesco....He works in Sabatini''s and has for a long time. He has owned and managed several restaurants in Italy, and you are correct.....He is the best....if I am on the Crown....it is Sabatini's all the way.....Not the CG.....However, that said, not all Sabatini's are the same....Was on another ship this past summer and Sabatini's was not bad, it was horrid...such bad service, such bad food that they gave u credit for another specialty meal....at another venue of our choice....

Yes, LH, you are correct--Francesco. Since we booked this trip, about a month and a half ago, my wife has been saying, "I hope Francesco is still working at Sabatini's." If he is still there, she will be completely thrilled.

I also second your comment about all Sabatini's/Crow Grills are not the same. OK, the menus do not change very much. However, our experience is always defined by our affinity with the service staff. Francesco won us over in Sabatini's last winter, but Tudor in the Crown Grill on an Alaska cruise trip in 2013 and Janos in the Crown Grill on a Hawaii cruise brought us back to the Crown Grill multiple times on those trips.

Edited by XBGuy
Corrected typo

• 2 weeks later...

It took a couple days to get back to this, but we enjoyed our cruise very much.

We dined at Sabatini's three evenings, the Crown Grill once and enjoyed the UBD one evening. I also met two ladies who were invited to the Chef's Table, and, yes, I have to plan for that some day.

This is a very personal thing, but, all in all, I just prefer the menu at Sabatini's. So, I took pictures of the CG and Sabatini's menus and have attached them, here, for your review.

OK, I tried to attach, but it looks like I failed.

At the Crown Grill, I started with the Pan Seared Scallops and the Shrimp and Pancetta Bisque, both of which were great. For my entre I had the Pork Chop with Mashed Potatos and Creamed Spinach. Unfortunatly, the Pork Cop was the weak link, here--chewy and, probably, overcooked. For dessert I went off their menu and had a dish of vanilla ice cream. I was a bit disappointed that my favorite Crown Grill dessert--fruit cobbler--has been deleted. :(

Unfortunately there was a somewhat demanding 8-person party seated at the table next to us which seemed to dominate our server's attention. So, that did not help my experience.

On my three Sabatini's visits I had:

Antipasti

• Burrata
  • Shrimp, Fennel, Bean Salad
  • Bean and Mussel Soup

All were excellent. The Burrata is very rich. So, keep that in mind. The Bean and Mussel soup was my favorite--five or six fat mussels in it--but it is a tad salty. So, another thing to keep in mind.

Pasta

I had all three of their pastas:

• Spaghetti with Seafood
  • Penne with Braised Short Ribs
  • Manicotti stuffed with Ricotta and Spinach

Again, all were good. The Penne was my favorite.

Secondi Piatti

• Bistecca Toscana
  • Osso Buco (Off-menu Special that evening)
  • Lobster Three Ways

The Bistecca was the weak link here--again chewy and, probably, over-cooked. The Osso Buco was the highlight--again, though, pretty rich.

Desserts

• ????
  • Vanilla Ice Cream
  • Zabaglione

I guess I'm not much of a dessert guy. The most memorable dessert at Sabatini's was the vanilla ice cream. I don't even remember what I had on our first visit.

Actually, the killer dessert was the one that we had with the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. That one was AWESOME.

Two servers at Sabatini's really made our visits enjoyable--Sladjana (from Romania) and Diana (from Ukraine). I have to say that Sladjana did a good job of recommending a Sauvignon Blanc for my wife.

If you have questions, I'll be happy to respond as best I can.

:D

Thanks so much for making a point of stopping by after your cruise, sounds like you had a good time. I started out leaning towards the CG but would have to say I'm starting to think we might try Sabbatinis first. Living in the Midwest there isn't much in the way of Italian quinine - hard for an Italian girl originally from NY sometimes:). And, it's so easy to overcook meat (in defense of the CG). Thanks again!