Queston Re: Cape Town

April29

Hello

I asked this question on the Africa board but didn't get any response yet though 116 people have read my post.

My elderly parents are boarding the Seven Seas Mariner on Nov 24 at the V&A waterfront.

Boarding time is 2pm.

IF they arrive earlier, is there anywhere for them to drop off their luggage & sit & wait to board ?

Thanks.

Although it is stated in Regent documentation that you board on 2:00 p.m., actual boarding time is 12:00 p.m. (unless there is an inspection which I doubt will happen in Cape Town). Not certain if there is a place for luggage to be stored prior to boarding time. We generally use Regent Air and they provide transportation from the hotel to the ship (note: we will be on the same cruise).

When we boarded (or I should say arrived at the terminal) in Cape Town in December, they took our luggage as soon as we arrived, and the next time we saw it it was in our stateroom.

Very efficient.

I will be disembarking the Mariner November 24 (boo hoo). I will try and take good care of the ship for you.

Hope your family has spent some time in Cape Town. What a fabulous place!!!!

Edited by spindrift

On our last cruise we came in several days early. On the cruise departure day, we checked out of the hotel, brought the luggage over to the ship where they took it while we went out for more sightseeing before boarding. Would expect your parents could do something similar.

This is going back quite a few years, but we stayed at the Table Bay Hotel right on the waterfront, and very close (as close as one could get) to where the Regent embarkation took place. We had an option of having a porter walk our luggage over to the boarding area or taking it ourselves. At that time, there were outdoor tables, as well as indoor tables in the lobby where one could have a drink or a snack at the Table Bay Hotel. The views are spectacular.

At that time, there was no seating available right on the pier, but things might have changed. If your parents have difficulty walking or standing, a "cane" chair which is also known here as a sport's seat could be beneficial.

There is also a shopping mall, but it is a bit further away.

Edited by mariners

I would hope that Regent can manage embarkation more effectively than Cunard did when we were in Cape Town a couple of years ago!

Having provided a hotel for a spot of breakfast after whisking us all off on a bus tour of the City - directly after a 12 hour flight - we then had to hang around in a huge admin building whilst they sorted out all the boarding arrangements & documentation. About 2 hours later we wer bussed to the ship - the luggage was loading on separate vehicles as and when we departed. It was pretty grim!

Hopefully, Regent are more organised and there will, certainly, be fewer passengers to process.