Help! Need Alaska Excursion Advice!

Jillbus

We are sailing on the HAL Westerdam June 11, 2016 on our honeymoon!

We have been trying to do a ton of research, but are becoming overwhelmed.

We would love any advice on excursions for the following ports:

Juneau ( 9 hours 1pm-10pm)

Sitka (8.5 hours 7am- 330pm)

Ketchikan (6 hours 7am-1pm)

Victoria BC (6 hours 6pm 11:59pm)

We are not going to be able to afford any of the helicopter or airplane rides. Other than that we do it all! We definitely want to do whale watching, possibly snorkeling, a little fishing, and anything else anyone can recommend.

Thank you so much!!!:)

I just got back from an Alaskan cruise last week, which was the time of my life!! You will love it. In Juneau, I would recommend the whale watching. I saw tons of humpback whales, including showing their tails and breeching. It was amazing. Weather was rainy, so pack warm clothes and a raincoat and realize it is all part of the experience. In Ketchikan, my husband and I did the Deadliest Catch crab fisherman excursion and loved it. You get to see how they catch fish, crabs, and other sea urchins. Many photo opportunities and the presenters have great stories and experience. In Victoria, I went to Butchart Gardens and it was the most beautiful experience. Even DH enjoyed it.

We are sailing on the HAL Westerdam June 11, 2016 on our honeymoon!

We have been trying to do a ton of research, but are becoming overwhelmed.

We would love any advice on excursions for the following ports:

Juneau ( 9 hours 1pm-10pm)

Sitka (8.5 hours 7am- 330pm)

Ketchikan (6 hours 7am-1pm)

Victoria BC (6 hours 6pm 11:59pm)

We are not going to be able to afford any of the helicopter or airplane rides. Other than that we do it all! We definitely want to do whale watching, possibly snorkeling, a little fishing, and anything else anyone can recommend.

Thank you so much!!!:)

Your "afford" mention- impacts your list. Whale watches are at least $120pp, Fishing Charters can be more- PLUS if you want to keep your catch, then add at least that amount- again for processing and shipping, snorkeling $100+pp Flights are only slightly more- so, you can perhaps see my slant?

General list- whale watching- Juneau, Ketchikan- fishing and snorkeling.

"Do it all", covers hundreds of tours- what you are going to get- is what people have done- this is nothing more than a popularity list. Most tours are very worthwhile- IF you have the interest. What sometimes happens with the broad general question- is ignoring all the choices, and not considering the less popular activities that could be YOU perfect match. Take another look at your shore excursion list- and eliminate tours- you are not the most interested in. Then look at the remaining list and do it again. :)

When you have a few tours left- you can then get the details, that may further answer your selection. Keep focused on YOURSELF. I've seen several times, this not being the priority. Don't jump into tours, because, someone is skilled in claiming- it's a must do, and so superior to others. :)

Thank you so much! On the Deadliest catch excursion did you get to eat any crab?

I just got back from an Alaskan cruise last week' date=' which was the time of my life!! You will love it. In Juneau, I would recommend the whale watching. I saw tons of humpback whales, including showing their tails and breeching. It was amazing. Weather was rainy, so pack warm clothes and a raincoat and realize it is all part of the experience. In Ketchikan, my husband and I did the Deadliest Catch crab fisherman excursion and loved it. You get to see how they catch fish, crabs, and other sea urchins. Many photo opportunities and the presenters have great stories and experience. In Victoria, I went to Butchart Gardens and it was the most beautiful experience. Even DH enjoyed it.[/quote']

We are very skilled cruisers who have done many excursions, but all in the Caribbean. That being said I don't mind a popularity contest. If people love things and can tell me why it helps paint a picture.

There is also a big difference between $120 for whale watching and $300-$400 for helicopter/plane tours.

Since you are obviously the budget queen of Alaska, what do you recommend?

Your "afford" mention- impacts your list. Whale watches are at least $120pp, Fishing Charters can be more- PLUS if you want to keep your catch, then add at least that amount- again for processing and shipping, snorkeling $100+pp Flights are only slightly more- so, you can perhaps see my slant?

General list- whale watching- Juneau, Ketchikan- fishing and snorkeling.

"Do it all", covers hundreds of tours- what you are going to get- is what people have done- this is nothing more than a popularity list. Most tours are very worthwhile- IF you have the interest. What sometimes happens with the broad general question- is ignoring all the choices, and not considering the less popular activities that could be YOU perfect match. Take another look at your shore excursion list- and eliminate tours- you are not the most interested in. Then look at the remaining list and do it again. :)

When you have a few tours left- you can then get the details, that may further answer your selection. Keep focused on YOURSELF. I've seen several times, this not being the priority. Don't jump into tours, because, someone is skilled in claiming- it's a must do, and so superior to others. :)

We are very skilled cruisers who have done many excursions, but all in the Caribbean. That being said I don't mind a popularity contest. If people love things and can tell me why it helps paint a picture.

There is also a big difference between $120 for whale watching and $300-$400 for helicopter/plane tours.

Since you are obviously the budget queen of Alaska, what do you recommend?

My point is missing out on less popular tours- that could be superior.

There are many cheaper flights, plenty in the $200's.

As others have mentioned, Juneau is the place for whale watching- there are lots of companies that will do this- both with the cruiseline, or independently. We used Harv and Marv- a local operator that used smaller boats (because we had young kids and didn't want to "ruin" the experience of others if our kids were a PITA). The benefit was that we could reserve the whole boat (6 people) just for ourselves- but of course you can go with fewer people than that too. It was excellent- even the small kids were totally enthralled.

Edited by rjm11

I live here, having moved here from Florida, and I have done the inside passage several times..One of the best things I have ever done was the snorkeling tour in Ketchikan. I am a diver...most of it in the Caribbean...and this was better....huge purple and red starfish...jellies, lots of fish....it you are a snorkler, go for it....

BQ - very true! I've not seen too many people recommend the Alaska Raptor Center in Sitka, but we went on our own and spent an hour there. We loved it!! Might have missed that experience entirely if we were going only for the most popular things to do.

Mary

First thing is to learn about the ports and what is available to see and do in them that is of interest to you.

I suggest you look at http://www.cruiseportinsider.com

They show the tours the cruise lines offer as well as DIY suggestions and even private tour providers - many of whom are either equal to or cheaper than the cruise line excursions and they almost always offer more for you money either in smaller groups or longer tours.

good luck with your planning - and congrats on your upcoming wedding.

• 2 weeks later...
First thing is to learn about the ports and what is available to see and do in them that is of interest to you.

I suggest you look at http://www.cruiseportinsider.com

They show the tours the cruise lines offer as well as DIY suggestions and even private tour providers - many of whom are either equal to or cheaper than the cruise line excursions and they almost always offer more for you money either in smaller groups or longer tours.

good luck with your planning - and congrats on your upcoming wedding.

WOW that is a fantastic website thanks so much for sharing it!! I spent so much time On the site last night!

• 2 weeks later...

If you're active, you might enjoy a hike on your own in Sitka. We did the Indian river trail and it was fantastic. You probably wouldn't have time to make it to the end unless you really motored but you could see the majority. We had a nice sunny dry day. It's completely free if you walk to the trailhead( as we did) but I would recommend getting a cab so you could have more time on the trail.

We did Harv and Marv in Juneau. It was nice to be in a small boat.