ANOTHER Early Saver question

Christine in MO

I am considering booking the Breeze for next year for myself & 2 children. There is a possibility that my mom may go with us but it will be a while before she knows for sure. If she does go we would get 2 cabins, if just me and my 2 kids we would get 1 cabin. Soooooo, if I were to book right now would I be better off just booking myself & 1 child (then adding 3rd later if mom does not go) OR if I booked all 3 of us in 1 cabin now would we be able to move 1 child (without penalty) to my moms cabin when/if she booked at a later date? I mean if she does go and we transfer 1 to her cabin later it would be in Carnivals benefit as they would be getting the 2nd passenger rate on said child instead of 3rd passenger rate. Or am I just making this way more complicated than it really is?

I think you are making it very complicated. Personally I never book early saver unless I am absolutely positive I am not going to change anything. How much longer would it be before your mom finds out if she can go? Are you able to wait to book? What are the rates of the cruise doing currently?

Honestly, if it were me, I would wait. Especially if you are wanting cabins near each other. If you book one now, you may have to move to get two cabins together later. It just seems like a lot of fussing.

I agree, you probably should either wait to book ES, or if you book now, choose a fully refundable rate. I see a couple of problems with your situation: 1) If you book a cabin for 3 and remove 1 child later, you might not be allowed to keep that cabin, since it is designated to accommodate 3 passengers. And 2) If you book a cabin for 2 now, you might not be able to choose a cabin that accommodates 3, so you wouldn't be able to add a child later. Even if you are able to book a room that holds 3, there may not be available lifeboat capacity to add a 3rd passenger later.

If you are flexible with where you want to stay on the ship, it shouldn't be a problem, no matter how you go about doing it. Being willing to move to a different part of the ship will open up more options. You could book 1 room for 2 people, then if mom cannot go, move to a 3-person room somewhere on the ship. Keep in mind that with ES, you cannot downgrade, so it would have to be an equal or higher category. A higher category could raise your rate. Just don't wait until the ship is almost full, or else you may not have a 3-person room to move to, or the unlikely event of that lifeboat capacity thing could come into play. If you book 1 room for 3 people, then mom can go, and you can switch 1 child to her room, you may get bumped out of the triple room, so it would be smart to be proactive and switch yourself to an available double that's close to mom's room.

Your possibility that you mentioned of moving 1 person out of a booked 3-person room and into a room with your mom is possible. I have heard of things like that being allowed before. Nobody is being cancelled from that sailing, so there shouldn't be any penalty. The language of the rules do allow you to do this, but you never know with Carnival. I would want further confirmation directly from them before booking the first room. If a refundable rate is not much more than ES, you could just book that for now, and maybe switch to ES later, if ES is still available.

Edited by k2excursion