buffet closed from 8 pm - 11 pm on all HAL ships?

amoba

I save WAY too much paper, and I happen to have stuff from me second cruise, Volendam to Bermuda 1982. Here are the Lido hours:

Early coffee 7 AM

Breakfast 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM

Lunch 12:00 noon - 2:00 PM

Late snacks 11:30 PM - 12:30 PM

Also Bouillon served on Lido deck 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM

Barbecue on Lido deck burgers 12:00 noon - 2:30 PM

Notice what's missing? ;)

There were two sittings for dinner in the MDR, 6:30 and 8:15. Of course they had more waiters then, so service was more efficient. But now there's an extra hour between sittings, which pushes early out to a ridiculous 5:15.

I've saved some odd things too. I have menus from 1999. From what I can see things really haven't changed much except for the time or am I missing something? They look a little more limited then now. Thx for posting.

Edited by cruz chic

I've saved some odd things too. I have menus from 1999. From what I can see things really haven't changed much except for the time or am I missing something? They look a little more limited then now. Thx for posting.

No dinner in the Lido!

I don't know when HAL started Lido dinner because HAL left the NYC berth not too long after that and our cruising shifted to QE2 and NCL (pre-freestyle) because there were such good opportunities with them out of NYC.

I do know QE2 had no Lido when we started sailing with her (1988). They had rolling hot and cold carts in the hallway leading to a pool area. You went through the line and took your breakfast or lunch to a table by the pool. Until the had a refit that converted the pool area to a buffet area (and took out my favorite pool), they didn't have dinner in that area. And even after they added the buffet, they didn't have a Lido dinner on the last night, you had to go to the MDR (tip night!).

No dinner in the Lido!

I don't know when HAL started Lido dinner because HAL left the NYC berth not too long after that and our cruising shifted to QE2 and NCL (pre-freestyle) because there were such good opportunities with them out of NYC.

I do know QE2 had no Lido when we started sailing with her (1988). They had rolling hot and cold carts in the hallway leading to a pool area. You went through the line and took your breakfast or lunch to a table by the pool. Until the had a refit that converted the pool area to a buffet area (and took out my favorite pool), they didn't have dinner in that area. And even after they added the buffet, they didn't have a Lido dinner on the last night, you had to go to the MDR (tip night!).

Thx for pointing that out:D. I totally missed that. The coffee is still kicking in. It's still sort of early here. I do remember us skipping dinner on my first cruise in 1984 and it was difficult to find something to eat. Don't know if they had room service at that time.