Using a CPAP in the Caribbean

Igggy

My husband takes everything. Don't forget to ask for distilled water. On first Celebrity cruise we asked cabin steward for it. We got it at no charge. (2013) Other cruise lines, I either filled out a medical form or I emailed and it was in room. No charge.

Has anyone had experience using a CPAP in the Caribbean 'without' a humidifier? I would think the ambient air would be humid enough. I would like to leave that piece at home if possible.

I use a self humidifying filter that attaches to the tube. Works for me! I no longer take a humidifier.

If you send Celebrity a note via their "Disability" request form, which includes a place to mark if you are bringing a CPAP machine, they will supply an extension cord and distilled water. I submitted this form for our 1/11/16 Equinox cruise and got a reply a day or two later saying that they would supply both. I am a little concerned about depending on them to supply the extension cord, but from all that I have read, they will grab an extension cord before it makes it on board. (I have to take one anyway for the hotel room the night before, but it is a cheap one so if they grab it, they can have it.)

"psbtrvlr" Can you tell us the brand/type of humidifying filter you have? Do you use it at home also?

"psbtrvlr" Can you tell us the brand/type of humidifying filter you have? Do you use it at home also?

This is it: http://www.directhomemedical.com/inline-bacterial-viral-hme-filter-cpap-medicomp.html#.VhE-hZWFOUk

I do not use the filter at home. I have a full size unit with a humidifier inside at home.

For travel I use a small unit that can also be battery operated. The filters can be used for a week.

The background for my original question: I've hauled the standard unit w/humidifier as an additional hand carry for the past several cruises. I bought a small travel unit that I could pack for my next trip. The travel unit is small, but the humidifier adds to the weight and footprint. Still packable. Just trying to reduce what I take.

I have used Celebrity for water and extension cord. They were always waiting in my stateroom.

I looked at the filter/humidifier recommended in a prior post. Has anyone else successfully used this? I'm not sure I understand how the humidity is generated.

I always travel with my humidifier. It might be on low or off but to me it's better to haul it around (since it attaches to the blower unit), then be uncomfortable if I need it. The only time it is definitely 'off' is on airplanes though where the voltage isn't enough to support a humidifier.

The idea of a travel unit is a great one IMO, but I'd still bring the humidifier. After insurance bought me a new unit (5 years) I keep the old one packed as a 'go bag' with hose and mask and filters. I've been a clutz and dropped it - the machine is fine but if one is going to break I'd rather it be the old one. I don't know about internationally but in the US, flights cannot count it as hand luggage so I don't pack it with my carry-on taking up space.

Also, and others will disagree with me on this, but I don't use distilled water when cruising, just the desalinated water from the tap. It has no chlorine in it and leaves a little mineral build up as it is evaporated, but as I mentioned it isn't my day-to-day machine. A quick vinegar scrub when I get home cleans it up.

I have a portable CPAP machine that has no humidifier, I am at level 12.

I have probably cruised over 30 times with this machine, and never had problems sleeping. The humidifier is really need most in cold dry temperatures, the Caribbean is warm and humid and the AC will not dry the air out to the point where you would need a humidifier.

Stan:cool:

I've gone without the humidifier and - for me - it hasn't been a big deal.

On the other hand if you haven't cruised with a CPAP before you might want to pack an extension cord. I rarely seem to have an outlet close enough.

Even though the cruise line will provide one for you upon request, I also recommend having an extension cord in your bag, since you never know what a hotel might have available. I have a cheap 10 foot one in the bottom of my bag.