Malaga, Córdoba or Mijas

Wayfairers

Our first visit to Malaga will be in Jan. We are in port 8a-6p. We've seen Alhambra. Looking at staying in Malaga, going to Córdoba or going to Mijas. Suggestions? I saw something (that I can't find again) about a hike near Mijas...anyone familiar with that?

• 2 weeks later...

I would choose Cordoba if you want to see something you would not see anywhere else. The Mezquita is worth the time traveling there - hundreds of marble arches with a surprise in the center. Walking the flowered streets of the city is an adventure with very good restaurants. The white washed houses of Mijas you would also see in Cordoba. Malaga never excited me; so much more to see in Sevilla or Cordoba or Granada. (I was a Spanish teacher and took several trips to Spain with students.)

I tried to attach a photo but couldn't get it to attach.

Mijas is a very cute village worth a stop (we often stop there for morning coffee when we have a rental car) but is not large enough to be destination worthy of more then an hour (plus eating time).

Hank

Another possibility, the caves at Nerja. Spectacular formations and the caves are massive.

And we would also mention that the city of Nerja is a decent destination in its own right :). The best Paella I ever had in my life was found on the beach at Nerja where a small food stand made a huge pan of Paella right on the beach. We watched as they put in all kinds of the freshest seafood and it was a very yummy lunch while it lasted. Nerha also has an excellent Parador on a hill/cliff overlooking the beach...with its own outdoor elevator from the hotel to the beach.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner