Snorkel Tour-Roatan

jimicaj

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last March, we booked a snorkeling excursion with Little French Key. I will say we were first timers, but it was truly amazing! You can't book this excursion through the ship, but our family felt it was definitely worth it! Good luck!

I went with roatan ocean adventures they were very friendly and helpful.

I'm glad to hear a recommendation on here regarding this company. I'm booked with them in Feb 2016. I love the website and the owner's commitment to the environment there.

I have gone with Mayan Divers three times, they are on the west end of the island, The water is beautiful, no current and the waves are not that bad. They can't pick you up from the terminal so you have to walk up and over the hill, takes about 10 - 15 minutes, and then a nice ride across the island.

Last time I snorkeled we followed a channel across the reef, then came back in, about 45 minutes. Second go was in a bowl in the reef with a sandy bottom, lots of fish, barracudas and a couple of rays, this time the DM was OK with everyone and just turned us loose and IIRC this was almost an hour.

There was only seven of us on the boat so no problems with overcrowding. After we got back we were OK to use the resort facilities (although we had to pay for the beer and food) but it was a really great day. When they took us back to the ship they dropped us off in the terminal.

Jim

Edited by idlenote
loose letters

I have gone with Mayan Divers three times, they are on the west end of the island, The water is beautiful, no current and the waves are not that bad. They can't pick you up from the terminal so you have to walk up and over the hill, takes about 10 - 15 minutes, and then a nice ride across the island.

Last time I snorkeled we followed a channel across the reef, then came back in, about 45 minutes. Second go was in a bowl in the reef with a sandy bottom, lots of fish, barracudas and a couple of rays, this time the DM was OK with everyone and just turned us loose and IIRC this was almost an hour.

There was only seven of us on the boat so no problems with overcrowding. After we got back we were OK to use the resort facilities (although we had to pay for the beer and food) but it was a really great day. When they took us back to the ship they dropped us off in the terminal.

Jim

Sounds great jim! I do hear tell the snorkeling is really good here. I may check out the Mayan Divers website based on your recommendation.

sckal,

Be very careful, after the last time I snorkeled there I decided I needed to get a lot closer to what I was looking at and got scuba certified. That was when it really got expensive, My snorkel gear cost $200, I don't even want to think about what the scuba gear cost, but we will be back there again in January to scuba. Wish I could figure out how to get back there sooner than that.

Jim

sckal,

Be very careful, after the last time I snorkeled there I decided I needed to get a lot closer to what I was looking at and got scuba certified. That was when it really got expensive, My snorkel gear cost $200, I don't even want to think about what the scuba gear cost, but we will be back there again in January to scuba. Wish I could figure out how to get back there sooner than that.

Jim

HA HA HA! As a matter of fact, I've done the Discover Scuba 4 times and loved it, so I totally get what you mean. That underwater peace your feel is unbelievable. I just can't justify that cost when I'll only be able to snorkel 4 or 5 days a year. Maybe someday when I have more time to do it. Glad you did though, enjoy your January trip!

• 1 month later...

A few years ago we went through a place called Upachaya ,it was called a wellness center i believe. the guys who took us out were from roatan and had been educated in the us. it to this day remains one of the best snorkels we have ever had . they took us out from thier resort and we were the only people in the area.