Carnival "Amazing Race" excursion

MaiTaiMary

Has anybody done Carnival's "Amazing Race" excursion in Cozumel? I'm looking for some feedback on it. :D My kids love watching this show!

Yes, my wife and I did this and enjoyed it. While not exactly like the TV show, it was still fun. If you decide to do this, here's a couple of tips... Be sure to wear tennis shoes. I was wearing flip flops and there's a LOT of walking around and at the end it came down to a foot race for first place. Also, at least one member of your team will need to be able to swim.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I will try to answer without giving anything away. :)

We thought about this excursion for our upcoming cruise but will have our 8 year old grandson with us. Is that too young?

8 is probably a little young. You might be able to keep him engaged through some of it, but there are parts he might get bored with.

8 is probably a little young. You might be able to keep him engaged through some of it, but there are parts he might get bored with.

Oh, yikes. Our kids will be 9, 10, and 12.

now I'm wondering if they will be bored (?) They all three love the show!

It is a lot of fun!

As another poster said, be sure to wear tennis shoes and have a swimmer.

The locals are eager to help out and we utilized them.

Lots of moving around, so be prepared for that.

We went in December, so it wasn't too bad.

Regarding the 8 year old..

If you want to just have fun and be leisurely, but all means.

If you want to compete, probably not.

We did a similar one in Nassau in November and will be another in St. Maarten in this December.

Oh, yikes. Our kids will be 9, 10, and 12.

now I'm wondering if they will be bored (?) They all three love the show!

There's one specific part I'm thinking of where you are at a museum and have to read the plaques at every display that an 8-year-old "me" would probably not have been thrilled with.

However, I think the fact that they love the show and would be on the same team to help each other would probably keep this fun for them.

We did it last NYE cruise (Liberty) and we had a blast...it was me, DH and DS (12 at time), it is a lot of moving around and the weather was perfect for us being the week after Christmas.

You can team up with others or you can be your own team, we just did us as a team, don't forget to come up with a catchy name for your team. It took between 2 and 2.5 hrs total, saw a lot of Coz (we have been there before and were a little familiar with area), it is so cool though to interact with the local merchants etc, they are all so nice and into it.

Includes land, water (you do not have to get in as only one person on the boat needs to go in to get the clues underwater and there are several people from all diff teams in boat at same time), it is figuring out puzzles and codes, the museum is really good especially for the kids, our son had a blast trying to answer the questions and break the codes etc., we had a blast!

At the end all the teams end up at same end point and they tell you what number you came in at (everyone who gets there before you claps and cheers as each team runs in), there were 20 teams when we did it last December and we came in #16 :rolleyes:, at least we were not last!!! It really was fun and something different, my son still talks about it!

Edited by Drazil65

Our family did this last March - husband, myself and two boys (11 & 14).

We had a really good time and would highly recommend it. It was well organized and we got to see some parts of Cozumel we wouldn't normally explore (usually beach people) :)

We did this in 2011 when my sons were 11 and 17. It was the BEST excursion we ever did!! My kids talk about this excursion still.

It was very tiring as they really wanted to win so we RAN the whole way. We did win the race and have very cool medals.

They loved interacting with the locals and solving the clues and puzzles.

Make sure you wear tennis shoes and follow the clues exactly. Also don't use the phone they give you unless you HAVE to because you are penalized the time you are on the phone. That's if you are super competitive as my kids were :eek:

Again we loved this excursion and felt it was very well organized!!

Kellie

It's really more of a scavenger hunt, but it's SO fun and you see a lot of Cozumel that you haven't before. Definitely takes you off the beaten tourist path!! Yes to tennis shoes and thinking caps, and have fun!!

We had a lot of locals telling us incorrect information, so ended at the wrong first stop. Made up for it in the end as we won the race!!

My wife and I thought about doing this, so it's on our list next time. How seriously do teams take it? I'm all for competition, but I'd rather have a fun time with the group trying to compete instead of being with that guy who played basketball in high school who thinks he's still Jordan in the over 40 church league. And any of you who play basketball in a church league knows who I'm talking about.

Edited by Hoosierpop

Fun, Fun, Fun!!!

Team Epic came in 2nd place in this super fun excursion. Tennis shoes and someone in a swimsuit (we sent a guy diving, or the boat driver let another group just have the answer).

Lots of running and mind puzzles. Would love to do this again in a heartbeat. The restaurant at the end has the best tacos too!

RC cruise lines didn't offer this in June when I was there, I was disappointed. So if you have the chance, do it, you won't be sorry.

My wife and I thought about doing this, so it's on our list next time. How seriously do teams take it? I'm all for competition, but I'd rather have a fun time with the group trying to compete instead of being with that guy who played basketball in high school who thinks he's still Jordan in the over 40 church league. And any of you who play basketball in a church league knows who I'm talking about.

It really depends on the other teams.

When we did it, there were 18 teams.

We took our time because we wanted to enjoy it, and we came in 9th.

Some teams were super competitive and finished quickly, but didn't get to enjoy each stop.

If you're competitive, be competitive.

If you're like us and just want to enjoy your vacation, take your time.

There's one specific part I'm thinking of where you are at a museum and have to read the plaques at every display that an 8-year-old "me" would probably not have been thrilled with.

However, I think the fact that they love the show and would be on the same team to help each other would probably keep this fun for them.

Not that I think I was a normal kid and no idea about their 8 year old, but 8 year old me would've loved this. My mom used to have to drag me out of museums whenever we went to a new city. I would literally argue and whine for more museum time on vacation. 30 year old me still likes museums but they get a little tiring after awhile now so I understand how my Mom felt. Like, yeah, let's learn some stuff, but then lets go somewhere I can sit quietly and get a martini, okay?

So a question in regards to the swimming/diving...do we need to bring a mask or will there be one on the boat?

Thanks. The whole family is looking forward to this excursion over the Christmas break.

Coy

I would add that some teams were super competitive (maybe the top 5 and they kind of raced each other more or less but did not see half of what we saw). We took our time in some areas like the museum and stopped to read the exhibits. Everyone else just went at their own pace and you make up time as you go. We would do it again but would want to take family or friends that have never done it.

Also, they give you an emergency phone that calls the guides should you get lost or have an emergency (one team just got so tired after 2 hrs they called for ride to pick them up :)...).

DH speaks fluent Spanish so we could communicate with no issues but I could see where that might be an issue when trying to speak to the merchants for clues so good opportunity to practice your Spanish!

Edited by Drazil65

I'm an avid Amazing Race Fan and would love to do this on my Jan cruise..I've checked all the excursions in Cozumel and it's not listed for my cruise. For anyone who has done this, did u book onboard or pre-cruise? I'm on the Glory. Thanks for any info.

The locals really make this one interesting---their participation really makes it cool!

I'll be doing this excursion, if my next cruise (in the idea phase only for now) stops in Cozumel. How exactly do locals get involved, and who? Is it just store owners and police officers who help, or does everyone on the street get in on the act? Also, do you need to know Spanish to get help from the locals? I know it enough to have a real conversation, which I'm sure will help my team, but I'm curious what level of knowledge is needed, if any.

Mostly store merchants that have your the preplanned clues and the police when we asked. My DH is fluent and I speak very little so DH did all of the communicating for our team obviously.

The merchants spoke a little English but not much from our experience (but that could because DH did not give them the chance as he always spoke first in Spanish so the conversation just went that way). Everyone seemed to do well though and made it through the game.

We booked precruise, we were on the New Years cruise last year on the Liberty. It was listed under excursions right up to sail date. I know at least one couple that we met during the game booked on the ship after we boarded.

Edited by Drazil65

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback! This really looks great.

So if it only takes 2 - 2 1/2 hours, what did you do with the rest of your time in Cozumel? We are going to be there from 9:00am - 5:00pm. I really don't care for looking at the shops.

Is there still time to head to a beach for a few hours?