9-17 CB Review Part 1

imsulin2

First, let me start off by thanking Host Caroline for all the hard work and effort she put into organizing this cruise for us! She really did an amazing job with the door signs, lanyards, T-shirts, and itineraries! Second, I would like to apologize to my fellow CCers for not making much of an appearance during the CC activities. Once I got onboard, I just kind of did "my own thing", and kept going from there! I did enjoy very much meeting those of you that I did get to meet, and hope you had as great a time as I did!

OK - here's the review. Just hope it goes through this time!

Arrived in FLL on the 16th, and my stay at the Comfort Inn on Stirling Road was much better than my stay there this past April. I was actually picked up by the shuttle in about 20 minutes. My room was very hot, though, so I turned the A/C on high, put on my suit, and headed for the pool, where I received the first of several sunburns, despite the Tropicana 15. My bad. Host Caroline got us a great rate of $65/night, too! We met and mingled, and were totally psyched about our cruise! She also arranged for two shuttle vans to take us and our luggage to Port Everglades at about 11:30, and all was well! My first view of the CB told me that this is, indeed, a beautiful ship!

EMBARKATION: Well, this was something new for me (after about 25 cruises). Our luggage was off-loaded and delivered to the ship by porters. No problemo! Then...we were directed to the end of a very long line in the very hot sun for a very long time! Now, I've never had to do this before - always waited inside the cruise terminal. (Note to Princess: Do something about this!) We all admired the sweat dripping down each other's necks, and the soaked T-shirts and wet armpits. Truly, we did! Someone (PhatCruiser?) had the presence of mind to bring a couple of battery-operated fans, which he willingly shared! Once inside the terminal, it went fairly quickly. One thing I really liked was that Princess had check-in according to Deck. So.. I immediately scooted myself and carry-on to the Plaza Deck area, and noticed that...there was only one couple in front me! YES!! Of course, this is the "cheapie" deck, but I had gotten an upgrade from an inside to an outside. ( It's what you do when you cruise solo.) We were also given Health Forms to fill out and sign and turn in. Finally!! I am boarded!

CABIN: I was in P217, which was small, but very comfortable! There was plenty of closet and drawer space, and luggage storage. Nice picture window, too. I was far forward on the starboard side, near the art gallery. My cabin steward, Mikki....etc., introduced himself and said that this was his very first week! He was very sweet, and took very good care of me. I tipped him a whopping 20 bucks right off the bat, and showed him the half-eaten "Happy Honeymoon" cake in my fridge from the past week's passengers. I swear, I was so hungry, I nearly tore into that thing! He removed it immediately. (Hope the Happy Couple had as much fun as I did!) Then...I saw the..um..er..bathroom, which leads me to: The Attack Of The 7-foot Shower Curtain. Well, I could handle the toilet OK, but for seven days, I fought the shower curtain in the world's smallest shower! I think I saw one that size in a London hotel about 30 years ago. Maybe. Someone (maybe the newlyweds?) had removed the magnets for souvenir purposes, apparently. This shower curtain was immediately attracted to soap/shampoo slathered bodies (mine) and wrapped itself around me daily. Now, there's a little built-in shelf (the size of my Rolf's billfold) to hold your shampoo, razor, and soap. NOT! It only took me two days to figure out that if you stick your whole rear-end out of the shower (being plastered to the curtain), you can bend over to pick up your soap/shampoo/razor. Shaving legs involved standing outside the shower and placing each leg up on the toilet seat. It worked for me! The "blow-dryer" managed to dry my arm hairs very quickly, but I used the dryer I brought with me for my head hair. Anyway, I slept very well! Oh - one thing I quickly learned was that not all elevators go down to Deck 5. (Note to Princess: Thanks for the handy-dandy pocket guide of the ship's layout!) Mikki....etc. did a great job!!

SAILAWAY: The CB band, "Tenacity" was absolutely wonderful the whole time! We met on Deck 16 for Sailaway, which was great!! We left later than planned, due to late-arriving passengers. I had managed to eat a wonderful salad and sandwich at Cafe Caribe earlier. Lots of dancing and whooping!! Well, doncha know, that after a few drinks, I really had to pee! No public restrooms on Deck 16, so a very nice Deck

Attendant advised me to use the ones in the Lotus Spa. Bee-line to the Spa! Picture me: "Mature" lady with badly wind-blown hair, a wrinkled CC T-shirt on, no visible sign of funds, and a glass of beer in my hand. Picture Kathy from Vancouver, a very young, perfectly coiffed and made-up Spa employee. I politely asked to use the restroom. Ms. Kathy from Vancouver rudely replied, "Our bathrooms are not functioning at this time." Riiiight!!! U-bet! I really believe that! So....after bolting like crazy down to Deck 15, I arrived "intact" at the public restrooms. I later went back to the Lotus Spa, nicely dressed, hair in place, and wearing years' worth of St. Thomas jewelry, ship card in hand and encountered....(you guessed it!), Kathy from Vancouver, who immediately delved into the spiel about Spa specials. At this point, I asked her if the Spa bathrooms were up and functioning. Suddenly her co-workers were looking at her, and she apparently recognized me, because she sputtered something about "flushing" problems. Needless to say, I did not book any Spa treatments due to the rudeness of KfV, but several of the friends I met did, and they enjoyed it. Yes - I wrote it on the comment card.

Archived