Inside Passage vs Glacier Bay

Andie272

We made our decision almost exactly how bonvoyagie outlined.

First: time of year. We were planning our trip to coincide with another friend's cruise, so we picked an itinerary that ended with us all being in Vancouver for the weekend.

Second: time you can take. We were initially going to do one-way, but we only had a week and I couldn't stand the thought of not adding a land piece to the one-way tour, so we decided on round trip. We chose Vancouver due to needing to be in Vancouver at the end.

Third: What is the single thing we most wanted to see? For me, I had my heart set on Glacier Bay, so that eliminated all itineraries that didn't go there.

Fourth: Now I was looking at a small pool of options, so what were the ports and time in ports? What else did I really want to do?

We chose this Holland America itinerary. If the link doesn't work, it's June 11 RT out of Vancouver. We're already booked on the Tracy Arm small ship excursion, so we're getting Glacier Bay and the closer Tracy Arm viewing, which were my two highest priorities.

I was overwhelmed when I started looking, but I found that if you step through it with one decision at a time, the field narrows itself enough that the decision becomes relatively easy. As BQ says, no matter what you choose, there's no way to do everything so you have to compromise. If you decide on your highest priorities, just tell yourself you can always do the rest on your next trip. :) Good luck!

We made our decision almost exactly how bonvoyagie outlined.

First: time of year. We were planning our trip to coincide with another friend's cruise, so we picked an itinerary that ended with us all being in Vancouver for the weekend.

Second: time you can take. We were initially going to do one-way, but we only had a week and I couldn't stand the thought of not adding a land piece to the one-way tour, so we decided on round trip. We chose Vancouver due to needing to be in Vancouver at the end.

Third: What is the single thing we most wanted to see? For me, I had my heart set on Glacier Bay, so that eliminated all itineraries that didn't go there.

Fourth: Now I was looking at a small pool of options, so what were the ports and time in ports? What else did I really want to do?

We chose this Holland America itinerary. If the link doesn't work, it's June 11 RT out of Vancouver. We're already booked on the Tracy Arm small ship excursion, so we're getting Glacier Bay and the closer Tracy Arm viewing, which were my two highest priorities.

I was overwhelmed when I started looking, but I found that if you step through it with one decision at a time, the field narrows itself enough that the decision becomes relatively easy. As BQ says, no matter what you choose, there's no way to do everything so you have to compromise. If you decide on your highest priorities, just tell yourself you can always do the rest on your next trip. :) Good luck!

I sailed this itinerary this year. For clarification- you HAVE to book the add on Tracy Arm excursion= IF you wish to see Tracy Arm. The above- notes a "closer Tracy Arm" reference- which technically is true, but misleading.- The cruise ship does NOT enter Tracy Arm at all. The ONLY way to transit Tracy Arm, is with the add on tour.

Am interested in doing this same trip. What cruise line did you use and what time of year? Did you see much wildlife? Thanks in advance.

I did the above itinerary on HAL, and yes, I always see a lot of wildlife. :)

We did our first Alaska cruise 8 years ago on HAL. Our DD was 15. There was only a handful of teens and she did join join in a few activies on sea days. They had a scavenger hunt one day that she really liked. We let her help pick the shore excursions and our focus was on our family time and enjoying Alaska. She still talks about how "grown up" she felt on that cruise vs our Carnival cruises. We are going again next Sept r/t Vancouver. And we are staying in Vancouver for a couple days before. Will enjoy the Inside Passage, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan! Can't wait to see what you decide