Has Carnival changed its daily activities and shows?

Mybearsbaby

Wow...well, it looks like I may be in for a rude awakening when we cruise. We noticed on our last cruise things had started to change, but it wasn't anything major like it may be this time. Thanks for all the replies. It seems a lot will have changed. I had noticed and continue to notice a slew of changes being mentioned on Facebook. Just about every day, I see a post by John Heald saying "if we changed _________, would you be ok with it" or "Do you use __________ service?" This is usually followed a few days/weeks later by "we will be revamping __________, and ________will change." It is usually something to save money. I feel like the "beards", as he calls them, are trying to save a dollar at every turn. I still love cruising and I like Carnival, but I do feel like they are getting a little greedy lately. I think that by taking away all the things that we are used to and focusing on the new cruisers, they are gonna lose a lot of business. If a different cruise line would have lined up with my dates, I would probably try a different one this time. I liked RCL the two times we have sailed with them.

That said, I still love cruising, still like Carnival, and I am sure I will have a great time, even if the only thing to do is play putt putt with my DH and DS. :)

Recently off the Magic and I noticed that the attendance at the movies under the stars was significantly higher than what I remember from my last cruise 2 years ago. Movies were starting around 7:30pm and I guess people weren't interested in the shows or comedians because it was hard to find a seat if you weren't there well before the shows started.

I don't remember the movies being that popular on any of my previous cruises.

Recently off the Magic and I noticed that the attendance at the movies under the stars was significantly higher than what I remember from my last cruise 2 years ago. Movies were starting around 7:30pm and I guess people weren't interested in the shows or comedians because it was hard to find a seat if you weren't there well before the shows started.

I don't remember the movies being that popular on any of my previous cruises.

Larger attendance on nights when entertainment in main lounge is Hasbro.

First time last week on Glory we saw a movie up on Lido but when you have Hasbro and no piano bar until 9 not much to do in early evening.

We took our first Carnival cruise last year, the entertainment was not even a consideration for us when we booked Carnival again for a cruise in January.

The Hasbro game was boring and one of the two comedians was ok while the other was also boring. The stage shows were like karaoke and Halloween costumes squished together.

The movies under the stars option is a nice alternative but I couldn't help thinking that there really isn't anything special about watching movies (that have been out for a while) under the stars with people walking back and forth in front of you etc.

Carnival could improve their entertainment is they budgeted a little more money for it and think outside the box.

We took our first Carnival cruise last year, the entertainment was not even a consideration for us when we booked Carnival again for a cruise in January.

The Hasbro game was boring and one of the two comedians was ok while the other was also boring. The stage shows were like karaoke and Halloween costumes squished together.

The movies under the stars option is a nice alternative but I couldn't help thinking that there really isn't anything special about watching movies (that have been out for a while) under the stars with people walking back and forth in front of you etc.

Carnival could improve their entertainment is they budgeted a little more money for it and think outside the box.

Movies under the starts is something like the old drive in movies but it can be annoying with people walking back and forth. Also this is our last resort for entertainment as we can easily see new movies at home.

Where does the speculation Carnival is doing away with live entertainment come from? I mean, they're the only ones with something like the Comedy Lounge they have (I know some lines book a comedian in the main lounge occasionally but not the same variety and availability of real, adults-only comedy usually). To me, it seems they're just diversifying entertainment. I'm not sure how popular revues really are - we certainly wouldn't go to that many and we consider that when we book. (Entertainment, ports, and the casual dress code make Carnival our primary line.)

Edit: I'd be interested in the NCL stuff myself but have to drag DH to it (same as the Carnival main theatre stuff).

Edited by berrieh

Where does the speculation Carnival is doing away with live entertainment come from? I mean, they're the only ones with something like the Comedy Lounge they have (I know some lines book a comedian in the main lounge occasionally but not the same variety and availability of real, adults-only comedy usually). To me, it seems they're just diversifying entertainment. I'm not sure how popular revues really are - we certainly wouldn't go to that many and we consider that when we book. (Entertainment, ports, and the casual dress code make Carnival our primary line.)

Edit: I'd be interested in the NCL stuff myself but have to drag DH to it (same as the Carnival main theatre stuff).

It is how they are trending. They used to have production shows or flyons every night except one where they did their Legends show.

those days are gone.

It is how they are trending. They used to have production shows or flyons every night except one where they did their Legends show.

those days are gone.

Were they popular and do you think they still would be? I assumed Carnival cut back on these and diversified entertainment based on what cruisers actually want - the comedians, cool bars to hang out in with some variety on the ship (Havannah Lounge, Alchemy, RFP, etc), movies, etc. I thought they said more live music/bands were actually coming back. I don't really think of it as a cutback because they also have things the other lines don't really have available. I find there's way MORE to do in the evenings on Carnival because of the comedy club, new-ish movies, and often (depends on ship/timing) decent bands, etc.

I know they used to have more production shows - I remember how lame they were to me as a kid on various lines when I cruised with my folks in the 90s and I've only been to a few as an adult (I find them kind of interesting in a "no expectations, it's going to be corny, and I'm drinking during it" sort of way now - granted, I'd like to see like Legally Blonde the Musical on NCL or something because I do love Broadway musicals, even regional productions of them, etc - not as big a fan of the Vegas style musicals which is more what I see on ships usually).

Were they popular and do you think they still would be? I assumed Carnival cut back on these and diversified entertainment based on what cruisers actually want - the comedians, cool bars to hang out in with some variety on the ship (Havannah Lounge, Alchemy, RFP, etc), movies, etc. I thought they said more live music/bands were actually coming back. I don't really think of it as a cutback because they also have things the other lines don't really have available. I find there's way MORE to do in the evenings on Carnival because of the comedy club, new-ish movies, and often (depends on ship/timing) decent bands, etc.

I know they used to have more production shows - I remember how lame they were to me as a kid on various lines when I cruised with my folks in the 90s and I've only been to a few as an adult (I find them kind of interesting in a "no expectations, it's going to be corny, and I'm drinking during it" sort of way now - granted, I'd like to see like Legally Blonde the Musical on NCL or something because I do love Broadway musicals, even regional productions of them, etc - not as big a fan of the Vegas style musicals which is more what I see on ships usually).

Most people here thought the old production shows were far superior to the playlist stuff they are showing now.

will agree that the comedy club is a very nice feature and we do spend a lot of time there.

They have replaced flyon performers with hasbro and that is one awful change.

Most people here thought the old production shows were far superior to the playlist stuff they are showing now.

will agree that the comedy club is a very nice feature and we do spend a lot of time there.

They have replaced flyon performers with hasbro and that is one awful change.

I guess my question is do you think most people here (a very small % of cruisers in general) represent the masses? Do you think production shows would fill theatres every night? (I agree the Hasbro show doesn't either but I understand taking up less resources if you know you're not filling the theatre nightly anyway, without a huge investment like NCL's Broadway shows - and just figured their strategy was to diversify.)

I guess the category of "Live entertainment", to me, covers more than just the main show hall though (like the bands, the comedy, etc).

I guess my question is do you think most people here (a very small % of cruisers in general) represent the masses? Do you think production shows would fill theatres every night? (I agree the Hasbro show doesn't either but I understand taking up less resources if you know you're not filling the theatre nightly anyway, without a huge investment like NCL's Broadway shows - and just figured their strategy was to diversify.)

I guess the category of "Live entertainment", to me, covers more than just the main show hall though (like the bands, the comedy, etc).

Yes, in 14 cruises with the old style production shows, the theater has always been quite full, sometimes overpacked, for the shows. They have always drawn quite a crowd, with one exception. The 10:30 showings for the late seating had been seeing a decrease in attendance, partially because with the addition of anytime dining, fewer people than ever have been eating at 8:00 or later. Some of the 10:30 attendees of the past started going to the 8:30 show. Many ships now will do a 7:00 show for the late seating dinner; still a smaller crowd for the same reasons. But the 8:30 shows have been so packed. These shows have & would continue to draw big crowds from the people, and other cruiselines that are still providing this style (or better) will continue drawing big crowds.

I don't think that cruisecritic accurately represents the masses, but not in the way that you think. CC people seem to be less inclined to go to the shows than non-CC people, and it has seemed that way to me for 6 years. That's been my observation, although that could be wrong.

But, you do make some very valid points. There are plenty of people out there who don't really care about these shows, & it wouldn't make a difference to them. And just like you, their idea of entertainment is different than having good/great theater shows & more live music. Some people will respond to entertainment questions by bringing up trivia & hairy chest contests. That's what they think of when they think of entertainment. These are the types of people Carnival is targeting, and you would also fit what they're looking for. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Whether or not Carnival can still fill the ships without dropping the prices ridiculously low is up for debate. If they can, then it was a good business decision on their part. But for people who want more live music & good shows in the theater, they'll need to look to another cruiseline. I know of so many people who have done just that. Many of them aren't angry with Carnival. It just doesn't provide what they're looking for anymore, so they quietly have gone elsewhere.

Edited by k2excursion

You would think the CD's would get bored doing it the same way week after week.

Yes I think it would be a bit like groundhog day. I said this to the CD on the second week of our B2B on Glory. Mike was fantastic by the way.

There was a CD conference when we were on Splendor so we had the assistant cruise director. I'm guessing this is where they discuss things and get new ideas??

Yes, in 14 cruises with the old style production shows, the theater has always been quite full, sometimes overpacked, for the shows. They have always drawn quite a crowd, with one exception. The 10:30 showings for the late seating had been seeing a decrease in attendance, partially because with the addition of anytime dining, fewer people than ever have been eating at 8:00 or later. Some of the 10:30 attendees of the past started going to the 8:30 show. Many ships now will do a 7:00 show for the late seating dinner; still a smaller crowd for the same reasons. But the 8:30 shows have been so packed. These shows have & would continue to draw big crowds from the people, and other cruiselines that are still providing this style (or better) will continue drawing big crowds.

Interesting. I never trust my memory that long ago, but I don't remember the room ever being full (it's possible it WAS once, especially when I was a kid but I have memories of it not being so and no memories the other way).

I have been on some ships lately with the new and old shows (different ships obviously) and it definitely wasn't full with either or that big a difference. Never been to the early show though (when I was a kid, before anytime dining, we always had early dinner, and since choice/anytime type dining arose, I've always always had that and wouldn't go on a cruise line without that style dining). I've always seen half-empty theatres with many people leaving early (not so many leaving early during Playlist, but I assume that's the length more than the quality). But, again, maybe different times. And we don't go to the shows regularly. I drag DH to 1-2 per cruise maybe.

I do think NCL's entertainment sounds interesting - no one else's impresses me by the looks of it. However, I know I'd just be dragging DH to that stuff and so much stuff is extra for-pay stuff so we wouldn't do much of that (I can't justify extra, for-pay, if we aren't both interested). Other than that, Carnival with its comedians which we consistently enjoy and which provide actual adult entertainment, generally wins when looking at cruise entertainment, for us. Entertainment is something we consider - something to do all times of the day - and while no cruise is perfect on this, for us, Carnival just seems to have more to do (for no additional cost). Some of the big RCCL boats have more sports activities, which can be nice, but not much to do at night then. We haven't tried NCL because we just see them as the nickle-and-dime line still; now that everyone's doing it, maybe we would.

Edited by berrieh