Amber cove?? Why hasn't anyone done a review?

tncruisergurl

Waywryd....would you please check into the "huts" and how to go about renting one. ?? I cannot find any info at all about them. THANK YOU

I have seen some awesome pictures too. We will be there Thanksgiving day and I am so excited. It will be perfect just to chill right there as our whole family will be together. This is our grandkids first cruise and they were so excited to see the waterslide and lazy river!!! I think it will be great!!

Just curious where all the people are that just went to Amber Cove? Why isn't anyone doing a review? I'm going in a couple of weeks and was looking forward to reading some reviews.

It's a pretty slow roll-out. We are going in December and only a few ships were booked before then even to go there. It's not like ships are hitting it left and right. One so far, the Victory, I think.

Just curious where all the people are that just went to Amber Cove? Why isn't anyone doing a review? I'm going in a couple of weeks and was looking forward to reading some reviews.

We were there and thought it was Fantastic!! Everyone was friendly and genuinely happy that we were there. We did a scuba excursion that took us to Sosua Bay and on the 30 minute ride there and back, Emille gave us the history of the island, of the cruise port being built and how this was going to really help the local economy. He said that a lot of people there make about $300 a month. Driving through the Malecon, a main gathering place for locals along the coast, people recognized that we were from the cruise line and waved as if we were on parade, smiling. We passed old sugarcane fields that are empty now and have been moved to Santo Domingo. Those workers are now in the hospitality industry. Even though our excursion took almost the entire time we were in port, we really enjoyed the whole experience. Yes, the port of Amber Cove is not close to Puerto Plata, yes the mademade port needs some more stores and they need to work out logistics. Is it beautiful? Yes. Are the people friendly and grateful? Yes. Will I go again? Yes. If you have questions - I'd be happy to answer them.

Hi there! Cruise Critic's editor in chief, Carolyn Spencer Brown, was in Amber Cove a couple weeks ago, prior to the first ship call. She put together the below slideshow as part of her coverage; she's also working on a full port profile, so stay tuned for that.

Pictures: http://www.cruisecritic.com/slideshows/?ID=540

sunlover5, there's info about the private villas in the slideshow.

Edited by ashley@cruisecritic
Added info

We were there and thought it was Fantastic!! Everyone was friendly and genuinely happy that we were there. We did a scuba excursion that took us to Sosua Bay and on the 30 minute ride there and back, Emille gave us the history of the island, of the cruise port being built and how this was going to really help the local economy. He said that a lot of people there make about $300 a month. Driving through the Malecon, a main gathering place for locals along the coast, people recognized that we were from the cruise line and waved as if we were on parade, smiling. We passed old sugarcane fields that are empty now and have been moved to Santo Domingo. Those workers are now in the hospitality industry. Even though our excursion took almost the entire time we were in port, we really enjoyed the whole experience. Yes, the port of Amber Cove is not close to Puerto Plata, yes the mademade port needs some more stores and they need to work out logistics. Is it beautiful? Yes. Are the people friendly and grateful? Yes. Will I go again? Yes. If you have questions - I'd be happy to answer them.

Another cruiser said the pool was not open yet. Do you know if it was close to opening? We are going with another couple and they weren't planning on an excursion. I would like to see part of the Island myself :) I am not a scuba diver so your excursion wouldn't work, but did you talk to anyone that did other excursions? Thanks!! I can't wait

Carekeet, Did you take an excursion through the ship or private? I am looking for private drivers and am not having much luck finding anything.

Another cruiser said the pool was not open yet. Do you know if it was close to opening? We are going with another couple and they weren't planning on an excursion. I would like to see part of the Island myself :) I am not a scuba diver so your excursion wouldn't work, but did you talk to anyone that did other excursions? Thanks!! I can't wait

I saw pictures on FB posted from the first Victory stop and there were people in the pool!

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked Outback TerraCross Adventure directly with Carnival because I sent an email and this is the answer I've got :

Dear Caroline,

unfortunately we do have no more space available than what Carnival

Cruise is offering as we do operate this tour exclusively for the guests

of Carnival Splendor on the day of your stay at Ambar cove.

We are really sorry we cant be more helpful with your request.

Kind Regards

Anja

It seems very cool and the reviews on trip advisor are very good. The safari seems very nice too.

http://www.outbacksafari.com.do/terra_cross_pop.htm

One needs to remember that Cruise Critic members only make up maybe 2% of the people on a given cruise, of that only 20% can be considered "active" (posting more than once a month) and of those, I doubt 10% would actually write a review (I wouldn't).

So there are probably 1.3 people that may write a review (3400 x .02 x.2 x .1),

Waywryd....would you please check into the "huts" and how to go about renting one. ?? I cannot find any info at all about them. THANK YOU

I have seen some awesome pictures too. We will be there Thanksgiving day and I am so excited. It will be perfect just to chill right there as our whole family will be together. This is our grandkids first cruise and they were so excited to see the waterslide and lazy river!!! I think it will be great!!

Perhaps they won't be ready by your sail date, but they are showing under the excursions page. We've already reserved one, but we don't sail until next Summer.

There are 3 types - ocean cabana, hillside cabana, and poolside cabana. 4 of each type unless they add more going forward.

Who did you use for the scuba excursion?? Thanks!

Carekeet, Did you take an excursion through the ship or private? I am looking for private drivers and am not having much luck finding anything.

You need to Google "Marysol Tours" and get a hold of Francisco. He will set up a very nice private tour for you at a reasonable price

Who did you use for the scuba excursion?? Thanks!

We went through Carnival for the two tank dive and it was through SeaPro Divers. They are a larger operation and I believe they are out out Puerto Plata. The pool was open according to friends that went with us. They did the Dolphin Swim at Ocean World and loved it. I will say that the port is all by itself so there's no where you can walk to. You would either need to take a taxi or go on an excursion if you want to see any of the island. It was about a 20 minute drive into Puerto Plata.