Beach access in St. Martin and Tortola?

ZellaLamb

I am taking the Celebrity Summit on it's repositioning cruise from Bayonne to San Juan next week. I'll be using my new collapsible electric wheelchair (Wheelchair88) that folds up really small. Our friends really want to spend the port time in St. Martin and Tortola at the beach. Does anyone know anything about the beaches there? I can climb up into a taxi but can not walk on the sand.

Also, I was once at a beautiful wheelchair accessible beach in Puerto Rico but can't remember what it was called or where it was. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Kate

To the best of my knowledge there are no wheelchair accessible beaches in St Maarten or Tortola.

RE: San Juan Puerto Rico - Think you are referring to Luquillo Beach that is called "Sea Without Barriers". It has ramps that allow wheelchair travel from the parking area all the way into the water. They have special wheelchairs for rent that can go in the water. The facility includes wheelchair-friendly picnic tables, bathrooms, & outdoor showers. That should definitely be one stop in your itinerary.

Edited by xxoocruiser

To the best of my knowledge there are no wheelchair accessible beaches in St Maarten or Tortola.

RE: San Juan Puerto Rico - Think you are referring to Luquillo Beach that is called "Sea Without Barriers". It has ramps that allow wheelchair travel from the parking area all the way into the water. They have special wheelchairs for rent that can go in the water. The facility includes wheelchair-friendly picnic tables, bathrooms, & outdoor showers. That should definitely be one stop in your itinerary.

From what I read the ramp to the beach in Puerto Rico was damaged in a storm and never repaired

Getting into town in St marten is a short ride down the road and the beach is right there. Too soft to wheel on but if your adventurous they will help you get to a beach chair

Thanks for your replies. I've been to the area in St. Martin that you can just wheel to but our friends were hoping for a nicer beach. Has anyone been to Orient Beach? I have no desire to see the airplanes at Maho.

Also, no thoughts about Tortola? I remember taking a cab around the island and seeing some beach communities that might work but that was quite a while ago.

The beach ramp in Puerto Rico is gone? Oh no. I was counting on that one for my day in the water. I was happy to just sit in a bar and look at the beach for the other islands. Sigh.

I will be on the Celebrity Summit and none of their pools are accessible so I might not be getting in the water after all.