Why was Princess in NY Harbor 11pm Saturday night?

CorrieCJ

Just curious. I was driving over the Verrazano Bridge around 11:15 pm last night (Saturday night 10/10) and saw a Princess ship going under the bridge. Thought this was an odd time for a ship to be at that position. Just curious if anyone knew the story. Might have been the Regal leaving from Brooklyn to Canada... but why so late at night?

[quote name='CorrieCJ']Just curious. I was driving over the Verrazano Bridge around 11:15 pm last night (Saturday night 10/10) and saw a Princess ship going under the bridge. Thought this was an odd time for a ship to be at that position. Just curious if anyone knew the story. Might have been the Regal leaving from Brooklyn to Canada... but why so late at night?[/QUOTE]

If it was the Regal Princess you saw, then it must have returned to New York Saturday evening. My wife and I watched it leave at the normal time on the New York Harbor web camera.

It was most likely the Caribbean Princess you saw. We're just off her this morning after a 10 day Canada/New England cruise from Quebec City to Bayonne. Unfortunately our stop in Bar Harbor on Friday was cancelled due to high winds and seas predicted to be too rough to tender in. So, we had two sea days to end our cruise, rather than just one on Saturday. Since we left Saint John, NB on Thursday evening, we maintained about 11 knots on Friday and Saturday. This put us entering the NY Harbor on Saturday night about 11 PM. On a bright note, for those of us still up and about, either on our balconies or the open decks, it was fantastic to sail under the VN Bridge and into Bayonne at that time and under a clear sky. Seemed very quiet and tranquil as we saw Lady Liberty and the Freedom Tower just to the North of us as we docked. Got some great pics of the harbor, the SI Ferry and lower Manhattan. Edited by Dbld777

[quote name='likeadisguise']Most likely Caribbean Princess heading into Bayonne for her Sunday turnaround. Someone posted they missed their last port due to weather (Bar Harbor, I think?), so probably came in earlier than expected.[/QUOTE]

I think you mean Brooklyn, as Princess doesn't use Bayonne.
I stand corrected...QM2 is occupying the berth in Brooklyn...EM Edited by Essiesmom

Thank you for the explanation, Dbld777 (and all)! We travel over the Verrazano Bridge every few weeks, often at that time of night, but I've never seen a cruise ship in the harbor at that hour. It was really cool to see the Princess coming under the bridge as we crossed, all lit up.