Formal Dress - long versus short

koolforkatz

Okay, I know the formal dress question has been done to death but I just have one more. My husband and I are sailing on the Constellation on 17 Oct. and I'm trying to figure out what to bring, okay, buy. I'd considering buying a long, floor length formal dress versus a cocktail dress. We sailed on the Mercuy in April but for the life of me, I can't remember how many women wore long dresses vs short ones. Do many people still actually wear long dresses? I know I'd be fine with a short cocktail dress but I thought it might be kind of cool to have a long dress, too.

Cheers!

Katherine

Hi Katherine,

Just get what you want to wear. Long or short, it will be fine. I have even worn evening palazzo pants w/a sequined top. You will see everything from Sunday church dresses to the most formal gowns on formal nights. For the best view of everyone, check out the Rendezvous Lounge if they have a picture taking setup in there. You get to see everyone's outfit. Best show on board while sipping your pre-dinner cocktail.

Sue

Don't waste your money buying a new dress if you have anything suitable in your closet. You don't know the other passengers before your get on the ship and you will never see them again so who cares what they think about your clothes.

Yes, many women do still wear long evening gowns, and I think in general on Celebrity that ratio is usually higher than perhaps some of the other lines. Cocktail dresses and Formal gowns are well represented. Since you indicated you wanted to buy something new and would enjoy a long gown, you would certainly be part of the "norm" in one. I'm with you and enjoy wearing long gowns and wear them on all formal nights. (3 Formals on my upcoming one) BF also enjoys dressing in a Tux so by sailing Celebrity this fits in perfectly well. Dress and enjoy!

Long or short - it really doesn't matter. I've seen women in short dresses who look very elegant and others in gowns who look like they've been digging ditches. If you're planning on buying something new, buy something you like something you feel comfortable in and something you'll be able to use post-cruise.

I wore a short "little black dress" and a dressy pantsuit--the lbd b/c it was the only one I could find that fit. I envied some women who were wearing absolutely stunning long dresses, but I didn't look out of place. Attire ran the gamut so anything higher than casual worked.

BTW, on a 2-nt cruise to nowhere on Carnival last Nov, I expected not as many really fancy gowns but the women weren't dressed much differently than on the longer X cruise. There were, however, fewer men in tuxes.

M/R

I love both and bring and wear both! I just dress up my "tea" length dress with some jewelry. But then again, my shorter dress was one I purchased for a friend's (nighttime) wedding. My best advice is to have a dress that doesn't wrinkle!! One of my favorite floor length dresses wrinkles something awful so for my December cruise which leaves from Ft. Lauderdale, I am sending it down to Florida with my grandmother at Thanksgiving. This way she can get it pressed down there and I can carry it on without worry that it will get wrinkled. Good luck with the decision and just enjoy the dress you choose!

I am on the same sailing as you. We will have three formal nites. I agree you will see a nice mix of long and short. You would certainly be able to use a long dress. Any excuse to buy a new dress is good for me. Join us on the roll call board we have quite a group over

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=96937&highlight=constellation+10%2F17%2F05

I am seriously thinking about bringing a long gown for almost every night of the cruise! I LOVE dressing up--and never get to do it--and it's my honeymoon--I figured if I want to wear long gowns every night so be it!

That's just me though--and I'm kindof crazy!

I also love getting dressed up and rarely get to do so. I dress for dinner every evening. Enjoy!

From a man with a wife who worries about how things look to others, wear something that accentuates all of your strong points and diminishes any weaknesses. Just look good and feel good about yourself. My wife goes with long pants and fancy tops that mix and match so we can pack less.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll splurge, then, and get one long dress. I've already got a couple of short ones. I work out of my home so spend most of my time in either shorts or pajamas. I'm looking forward to getting really dressed up for a change! Plus my husband bought a tux for our last cruise; I can't let him be showing me up.

Cheers and happy cruisin' all,

Katherine

Archived