What items are "must takes" for a cruise just so you'll "always be prepared?"

high seas gal

Not counting the clothing, toiletries, and things like that, are there other more unusual things that you pack for your cruise? And why do you take any particular items? icon_smile.gif

High Seas Gal

Northern California

Celebrity Mercury - October 13, 2004 - Mexico!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;13;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

NCL Sky Jun. 2000 (ALASKA)

NCL Sky Aug. 2001 (ALASKA)

Princess Regal Princess Jul. 2002 (ALASKA)

NCL Sun Sep. 2003 (ALASKA)

We keep the unusual things at home. Too embarrasing for us, when they scan the luggage icon_wink.gif

But seriously. I have taken the same Squirrel Beanie Baby with me on all my cruises. To put next to the bed so I will have a little pet with me. I miss my dogs when I travel.

I also have a photo of my sons, I put on the table next to the bed.

Don't try to plan for every event, you will just have to haul it around back and forth. Trust me, you will be happier if you pack light. I seem to cut back every time we cruise. Don't pack an outfit for every day, you will only wear half of what you take. Ditto for evening, mix and match (advise clothing divas hate). Take your most comfortable shoes and your favorite shorts. Pack a small first aid kit, but limit it to the bare essentials. Take only the toiletries you use at home, nothing more, you will not have time for it. Make sure you have any medications you require. Make sure everything you take is in good repair before you leave.

If you check out some of the packing lists on these boards, scale down to what you actually will need. The only items I have left behind and have been sorry I didn't have was once I forgot my travel alarm clock and once I needed my cell phone. Somehow I still made it through the week.

Have a great cruise!

Kathy

4_1_203.gif One thing you never want to forget to bring with you on a cruise are your manners. Be sure to bring lots of patience, too, in case some other cruisers forgot to bring their manners.

Clothes pins! Bathing suits dry quicker hanging on the little line in the shower instead of thrown over it so they are almost doubled and the air can't circulate. Also never enough pants hangers so clothes pins help there, too.

Until the Zenith! Second X Cruise In Two Months!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The one thing we were sooo glad we hauled with us was large, insulated cups with lids. They're great for filling up with water or iced tea. The glasses on board are way too small for us, and we really appreciated having brought our own.

February, 2005 - RCCL Jewel of the Seas

November, 2003 - Celebrity Summit - Honeymoon Cruise!

A night light is essential and a travel alarm clock with an LED. Also, an extension cord - there is only one electrical outlet at the desk and the one in the bathroom will only take electric razors.

Not just an extension cord but a 6 outlet surge protector. A small wind up alarm clock, so if no power we are set. Night light from dollar store is great. Extra hangers from home to hand shirts, slacks, whatever on after I wash them to wear again laster on in the week.

With the Transatlantic 13 night cruise, we are packing for 7 nights, 3 gowns & formal shirts are for 3 of them. But the rest, we can rewear items twice over the 2 weeks sooner than take 4 suitcases.

My logo: When we disembark, I just have to book another!

It's sure nice to see others who pack light and wear the same clothing a couple of times on a trip. We're booked for an 11-night at Christmas and know there's no way we can pack something different for each of those days. We're planning to have some things laundered (and figuring that expense into our budget), and wearing things twice, perhaps three times.

Hilary

That reminds me. I always bring a couple of bottled waters. After I drink the water, I can fill them with lemonade, punch etc. or water even. So much easier to have with you by the pool for instance. You can reclose it and not worry about spilling. I also bring, or buy in the gift shop on the ship a reclosable coffee mug.

$....this can solve almost anything you need.

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

**email mrtnb(at)efni(dot)com

Duct Tape, clothes pins, power strip & extention cord, hilighter, pack clothes on hangers--then we have enough, portable CD player for balcony, bottled water and wine! We always pack 2 formal shirts for DH, launder at least once depending on length of cruise and I always pack a different evening outfit for each night, but re-wear daytime outfits!!! The laundry service on board is great, we always make use of it!

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Look out MERCURY Here we come!!!

September 2005--"Millie in the Med"--We're there!

Now you KNOW I said DUCT tape!!! Quit flapping your bill!!! icon_wink.gif

Actually, I am VERY glad we had it last time--we hit rough seas & the sliding door to the balcony had a broken latch & kept bouncing back & forth so----I proceeded to tape it closed with my trusty Duct Tape!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Had the room steward get maintenance to repair it the next day!

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Look out MERCURY Here we come!!!

September 2005--"Millie in the Med"--We're there!

We take our traveling medicine cabinet! Asprin, cold medicine, etc. this way if we need it, we have it and we're not depending upon the ship stores with their overcharge on these items. We buy "trail size" items when we go to the drug store, this way we have what we need and it isn't bulky. Also, my wife has one type of shampoo she favors and she always brings it along in a small bottle. And, of course, I bring the duct tape! icon_wink.gif

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JNLROSE:

Now you KNOW I said DUCT tape!!! Quit flapping your bill!!! icon_wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is just another example of the use of duct tape.

I agree, duct tape is the universal fix-it (On our last trip the airlines managed to rip our suitcase. Duct tape to the rescue!)

In my last post I forgot to mention my STEAMER by Proctor Silex for $15 at WalMart.

Duct tape - oh how we laughed when we remembers a family of 6 in a mini suite. They washed clothes in the tub & used duct tape in the hallway to dry them since their door to the stateroom was never closed, they could keep an eye on laundry.......

(that was Golden Princess)

My logo: When we disembark, I just have to book another!

Shout it Out Wipes, trial sizes of cold medication, Tylenol, Tums, etc.

Stephanie

1986 Southward, NCL;1987 Holiday, Carnival;1988 Seaward, NCL; 1989 SS Norway, NCL;1990 Starward, NCL;1991 Skyward, NCL;1993 & 1994 Viking Serande, RCL; 1996 & 1997 Westerdam, HAL;1998 Noordam, HAL;1999 Veendam, HAL; 2000 Galaxy, Celebrity; 2001 Ryndam, HAL; 2001 Horizon, Celebrity;2002 Zaandam, HAL;2002 Horizon, Celebrity;2003 Constellation, Celebrity;2004 Mercury, Celebrity

a flashlight, came in handy when we lost power for 4 hours on the Norway a few years back and if theres ever an emergency at night where you have to go to boat stations you'll be glad you did!

"live long and prosper...so you may cruise!"

Archived