Italy Rental Cars Drivers Licence Question

kiwi sailor

Need help regarding if a International Drivers Permit/Licence is required in addition to your own full home countries drivers licence with photo.

I'm getting mixed reports. The rental car company T&C's are confusing.

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

I've never had a problem in Europe or the U.S. with a N.S.W. Licence (photo).

I've still got my old 'paper' licence from the UK (valid till 2026) but that is not accepted even in the UK when hiring a car, they demand a photo licence.

To be safe you can get an International Licence from your local motoring association (AA or similar).

It is confusing. The rental car companies will rent you the car with out one. If you are stopped you may be asked to produce it. If you do not have one you can get fined and it could be pricey. If you are stopped again you can be fined again.

They cost $15 (in the USA) and you get them at AAA in one visit. It is worth the peace of mind to have one. All they are is a description of what your drivers license is good for spelled out in the language of the country you are visiting. This helps if the police man stopping you does not speak or read English. I have heard of occasions where your lack of having one is a fee generator.

Just rented a car in Florence- the car rental wants your driver's license from your country. However, they made it known the police would want your International Driver's Permit. It was $15 and with as crazy as driving is in Italy- get one. You get into an accident and you'd need it then.